Cape Cod vacation August

Search

Cape Cod vacation August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Cod vacation August

My family and I (with 2 boys 6 & 2) are planning to drive to Cape Cod in August. Will stay there during weekday. We are driving from NYC. Questions:
1)Is Cape Cod a good spot for family vacation?
2)Is Hyannsis a good location to stay at?
3)Any beach is nice for kid?
4)I also heard about Martha vineyard & Nantacuket? Any suggestion what to do over there with 2 kids
5)Is Newport RI also a nice spot for family vacation?
Thanks
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:55 PM

Hi Glin-

Here are my answers:

1) Many families choose to vacation on Cape Cod year after year. I have lived in New England most of my life, never vacationed when I was younger here, and moved here after college, so I can't speak personally. However, there seems to be a lot of family oriented hotels, and the beach, whale watching, quaint shops,etc. are popular with children of all ages.

2) Hyannis may or may not be a good location for you. It is probably the busiest town on the Cape. PRO: centrally located on the cape, lots of child-friendly activities on Main St., close proximity to great beaches. CONS: many run down hotels, lots of traffic at times, and not the "cape cod" that most people see in their minds.

3)Craigville Beach in Centerville and Seagull Beach in Yarmouth is where I take my neices (all under 7) when they visit. Warmer water, lots of sand, gentle waves, and tons of other children for them to play and build sandcastles with.

4)Don't have any real ideas for kids on Nantucket. On Martha's Vineyard you can go to Oak Bluffs, have the kids ride the carousel, look at the Gingerbread houses, play in the arcade, and also go to the beach.

5)Newport is nice, IMO. However, it did bore to tears my husband who very often has the mentality of a child. Small children probably won't get a kick out of looking at where the Vanderbilts lived.

You will get lots of differing opinions of where to stay. It really depends on your budget and tastes. As many people will say "Stay in Chatham" or "Stay by the National Seashore" as people who will say stay in the Mid-Cape area. Again, it depends on your preferences.

Happy Travels!
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 03:58 AM

Make reservations now - things get booked, and with people staying closer to home past few summers, this is even more true. Since most cottage rentals are Sat-Sat, you will likely be staying at hotel/motel type place - do a search here, lots of suggestions.

Where on Cape depends on your vacation style. Mid-Cape area is a good compromise if you want to get into the car and tour around towards either end of Cape. Cape Cod National Seashore is wonderful - but waves can be quite large and your kids might be a little young for that - we have been there when the undertow was terrifying. But the beach itself is incredible. The main entrance in Eastham has a parking lot/bus system - you can not park immediately at beach.

With kids that age I would save Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket and Newport a later date.

We have stayed with kids in Falmouth, Sandwich, and Wellfleet. The first 2 have the advantage of being a shorter drive for you. If I had to pick one town, however, it might be Wellfleet. There is a little downtown you can walk around in, has some gentle beaches good for kids.

The Cape can be great fun for family - lots of kid-friendly restaurants, mini-golf, etc. Off-Season it is more relaxing for adults. On word of warning. If the weather is bad when you are there, the traffic rivals any NYC traffic jam. Everyone is stuffed into a car trying to find something to do with their kids.

If you are near Hyannis - go to the Cape Cod Potato Chip factory tour.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 04:07 AM
jd

Even though the beaches at the National seashore are the best, I think with children as young as yours I would chose the Red Jacket motel in Yarmouth. The water there is warm and calm-they are allowed to use floats and watertoys,and they rent kayaks, waterbikes, ect. The motel has an indoor and outdoor pool, and has childrens activities. From here you could do a daytrip to one of the national seashore beaches like Nauset Beach(good waves, but water cold).
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 07:47 AM

Can't recommend any specific hotels but would strongly suggest you avoid any motel on RT 28. I've stayed in a few and they were uniformly disappointing or worse.

For kids activities, I would suggest catching a Cape Cod league baseball game - they're free so if the kids get antsy its no problem to leave. But you definately see some future major leaguers.

Also in Brewster there is a natural science museum whose name escapes me. But they conduct walking tours of the salt marshes and beach. Took a group of youngsters (3-7) and they all loved it.

In Yarmouth there is a nice park near the golf course that has a cute playground, ball fields etc. Might be a good place to let the kids burn off some energy. The playground in Yarmouth on Rt 6a was always a hit with my kids too.

Rail Trail is a good biking trail. Another trail is along the Cape Cod Canal in Sandwich.

Downtown Hyannis has a merry go round.

Woods Hole has an aquarium.