Search

Cape May, NJ Feedback Needed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape May, NJ Feedback Needed

Hello

I did a search on family vacation destinations and came upon a website that offered great info, plus the above destination.

I read some about Cape May and it seems like an interesting place. Also, nice to have Wildwood nearby.

We are a family with a 6 and 3 year old. Could you please recommend activities, places to eat and where to stay.

Lastly, what is Wildwood like as well.

P.S. If you have seen my previous posts in regards to NYC, yes we are still interested in that destination as well.

Thank you.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 09:26 PM
J62

A couple of questions back isa.

Where are you coming from?
What do you and kids 6,3 want to do?
You found this great website - can you share it with the rest of us?

Cape May is far South Jersey Shore. If you are coming from the North, there are are great family residential beach locations along the shore that are far closer than Cape May that are perfect for kids. Wide sandy beaches, the same ocean, kids activities (golf, ice cream, rides etc) I like Long Beach Island - specifically the southern end. Plenty of rental homes that are close to the beach $$$ or closer to the bay side (less $), but a several block walk to the beach.

I'm not familiar with Cape May, so sorry, I can't comment on that place.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Hope I'm not too late for this one.

Cape May is very nice. There is a zoo, which is closer inland on Route 9 called, duh, the Cape May Zoo, I believe. It's a very beautiful place and I think the kids would like it. I think it is free (or close to free), but donations are accepted. There is a picnic grove and park at the entrance.

Cape May has some nice shops in a quaint little area as well. It can get crowded, but so can everything in the summer at the Jersey shore.

There's the concrete ship out sunk in the ocean and you can search for "Cape May diamonds" on the beach. There are tours of Victorian homes offered, I believe, and lots of festivals throughout the season, which could be of interest to the kids.

Wildwood has amusements for the kids and a large boardwalk. I haven't been to the boardwalk there in MANY years. I can tell you that many of the hotels in Wildwood are converting to condos, so there may be lots of construction and limited amounts of vacancy.

One more thing about Cape May ... there is a place not too far from there called "Cold Spring Village," I believe. It's an oldtime village that has people dressed in period clothes and they have demonstrations and such. Might be nice for the kids.

Hope this helps and is still somewhat current. It's been a while since I've been down that way.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Cape May is a great area to travel to. Yes it is farther south than most of the shore, but that is what makes it great. It has not quite given in to all the "trashy" and "touristy" ideas of other places. The Grand Hotel is a great place to stay if you have kids. It has a nice pool, right across the street from the beach and an excellent inhouse reataurant (great seafood). Wildwood is more crowded and has a boardwalk filled with vendors, games, and stores. Cape May has still not become that. Cape May has some great miniature golf places, the one on Beach st, I believe was the cheapest. The zoo is a nice half day trip. Good luck and enjoy!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 02:33 PM

i love cape may, victorian houses all over the place, many hotels with pools just across the street from the ocean. but it is pricey. you can also look into Ocean city, nj, this has great beach and boardwalk for the kids.

also Seaside Park (not heights) nj has the ocean, you can drive up to point pleasant to the aquarium, there is board walk with rides, and great adventure amusement park is also only about an hour from there.

Long beach island, great beaches, and the lighthouse at the end of the road at the north end of the island.