Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Onset and Cape Cod possibilities - classic Cape Cod experience

Old Jan 17th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a child, we stayed at Onset. The first year we stayed in a cottage on Broad Cove, but after that we were on the same cottage for quite a few years. As an adult, drawn back by nostalgia perhaps, my wife and I stayed there in Onset at a B&B also on South Street. We enjoyed it as well. Visiting for the day last summer with our two kids, we decided we would look into renting a cottage in Onset. I could not find a listing for the same cottage I stayed in as a kid and other listings seem to be full for the weeks we could go. We have a couple inquiries in on South Street and South Water Steet in Onset, but are also looking at a few other possibilities in Onset and on the Cape. My wife and I rented a cottage in Dennisport and had an enjoyable time, but also decided that Dennisport was not the ideal spot for us. Away from the beach, it felt just like any other town on the South Shore. I have spent some time in Sandwich and we have looked at a couple spots there along Salt Marsh Road. The cottages are right in the Sand on the beach. They are rather small, but the location trade off would be worth it. Not sure if there is much else in that area though. Any comments or suggestions on the above would be appreciated. We are looking to be right on the beach, traveling with two adults, two children (4 yr old girl and boy,2) and visit for a couple days from Nana. Our budget is about $1,800 to 3,000 for a week in July. Looking for the classic Cape Cod vacation.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 02:45 AM

Wow! Onset was perfect for you, and there is nothing else quite like it.

Take a look at the communities between Bourne and Woods Hole on Buzzards Bay. I don't know about prices, but when you drive through them on the side roads, they are very, very laid back, and each little place seems to have its own character.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Anywhere specific? We are strongly considering places in Sandwich.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 04:18 AM

Sandwich will be fine, and you can explore the areas I mention above to see if you find something you like for another trip.

I have not stayed in the area but have attended meetings on a couple of occasions and poked around the back roads when my car was being repaired and I had a loaner.
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 07:45 AM

I know where Salt marsh Road is; in fact was on a hike (actually a walk) in a nearby nature reserve last week. You will indeed by right on the beach backiing up to the marsh across the way. Not only the beach for the kids but from your cottage, you will be able to see the entrance to the canal and see ships entering and leaving.

Within a couple of miles is the GreenBriar Nature center. Great walks and other activities. Lots of semi tame wildlife and a chance to see jams and other goodies being made.

Nearer town is a fish hatchery. Free entrance and chance to feed the fish. My nephews enjoyed this when they were preschoolers/toddlers, and their children are now enjoying it.

Heritage Museum and Gardens (not free) has lovely grounds and walking paths, large collection of antique cars, and a carousel.

Free Visitor Ceenter up at the canal entrance near the Coast Guard Station has interesting info about canal and surrounding area.

Sandwich has good eateries from the little cafes where the locals and tourists go to higher end restaurants.
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 08:05 AM

I have tried to finish this several times now and for some reason I get pushed off before I hit submit. Maybe Fodors or my computer is trying to tell me something.

I hope you will enjoy your vacation. Salt Marsh road will be different from Onset in some ways, but there is lots to do in the area. Have fun!
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great feedback irishface. It now looks like we are considering cottages in Brewster and Dennisport on the ocean and on a pond in Harwich. But even if we don't stay in Sandwich,we might stop by Heritage Museum and Gardens either on a the way out or on a day trip. The fish hashery sounds good as well.
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 05:56 PM

I love Cape Cod and go every year. You say you have a budget of up to $3,000. I would rent a place that is central on the Cape, like Orleans or even Brewster would be good. You can then do day trips from there. I would not limit yourself to one place, go to the national seashore and check out the beautiful beaches.You should be able to find a nice place to rent.
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

We went with cottage on the pond in Harwich primarly due to the age of our children (2 and 4). The calm waters and being steps from the water swayed us. We will also be real close to the Brewster beaches to get a taste of the ocean and the restaurants in Chatham.