Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Pointe South Mountain vs. Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Hotel: which is the better choice?

Search

Pointe South Mountain vs. Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Hotel: which is the better choice?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We planning a 4 day trip to Phoenix in late May with our 10 & 12 yr. old, and have narrowed the hotel choice down to these 2 hotels. The Point S. Mountain seems to have a better waterslide but is more expensive than Tapatio. Also, concerned about S. Mountain having a "convention catering" impersonal atmosphere. I have read pos. comments on Tapatio, but the waterslide and pools for the kids seem much better at S. Mountain. Can anyone provide information about these places? Thank You.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 11:52 AM

With kids, I would opt for the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak, which you did not mention. The waterslide is bigger there than at Tapatio, and they also have the lazy river, plus mini golf. Tapatio has horseback riding on site, plus a golf course, but you can take a free shuttle between the Squaw Peak and Tapatio. The South Mountain used to be a Pointe Hilton, but they are no longer affiliated with Hilton
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 11:54 AM
kcooke

I stayed at Tapitao a couple years ago during Memorial Weekend. It was just OK. The hotel /rooms/pool themselves were fine but they must have lowered the prices for the weekend because there were a lot of people there that you wouldn't expect. It seemed that the pool was loaded with day-trippers. Who knows for sure, but I never went back. I've only golfed at South Mtn, the only thing I can say is that it's located quite a bit south (actually in Tempe).

Old Mar 7th, 2003, 12:45 PM

puma, I'll let you know. I just booked Tapatio through Priceline, for $83/night in April. We're going with our 10&13 year olds. South Mountain doesn't use Priceline, but Squaw Peak does. I didn't want to take a chance at Squaw Peak as not all rooms are 2 room suites, and you could end up with a room with a King bed, which would not have worked for us. Also, Tapatio is the only resort in North Phoenix, so you're guaranteed to get it if you bid a resort in North Phoenix zone.

I spoke to a woman at the PointeHiltons in Phoenix and she said Tapatio was just as good for kids since it had all day free kids programs running with games, scavenger hunts, etc. She also said we could use Squaw Peak pools at their discretion. If it's really crowded they may not let us, but then again, I wouldn't want to.

You can get South mountain for probably $50 or less per night on Priceline for May. Check out biddingfortravel.com for strategies.

I would've liked to stay at the Wigwam in Litchfield Park, which I know I also could have gotten through Priceline, but with the kids, I really think the Pointehiltons are a better choice. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 02:23 PM

Definitely South Mountain. Just as nice of a resort, BRAND new waterslide ( I work in a business complex nearby. I watched them build it.)
The bonus here is that this Pointe is cheaper, MUCH closer to the airport (saves cabfare) is in a nice little suburb so traffic isn't bad, and is also very near (1 mile) a large mall, lots of shopping, some good food choices, and has horseback riding within walking distance. Set in a beautiful foothills location...
As they pointed out earlier, it's no longer a hilton property but is very lovely and probably less expensive. Unless you have business/ relatives near Tapatio, Tempe is a great choice. If you're feeling adventurous, check out the Mill Avenue nightlife/ shopping/ restaurants/ movies Near ASU. It's lovely, safe, and a nice cultural experience.
(I was born and raised here, in Tempe so I'm probably a little biased)...
Have fun and enjoy Phoenix!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 02:48 PM
kkj

I work in tourism in Arizona. The Hilton Tapatio Cliffs is nice, but in the middle of nowhere. You'll have to drive everywhere. Pointe South Mountain is a convention hotel. But, they have the biggest waterpark of any hotel in the state. It is brand new and your kids would have a blast. I'd definately stay at South Mountain.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 03:13 PM

Hi Puma-
Here's a vote for the Pointe Hilton at Tapatio Cliffs. We love the resort. The suites are huge and beautifully decorated. The pool area is fabulous and has a very long waterslide that our children love. The view from their nice restaurant at the top of the mountain (Different Point of View) can't be beat. It (the view) is beyond spectacular, to say the least, and the food/service is also wonderful. Have a wonderful stay in Phoenix, where ever you decide.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 06:47 AM

Is it really in the middle of nowhere? The woman I spoke to said it's a 10-20 minute drive to Scottsdale. Was she fibbing?

I actually prefer to be in a less busy area, and don't mind a bit of a drive to restaurants, as that's what I do at home. I wouldn't consider a 20 minute drive the middle of nowhere.

Just how far is Tapatio from Scottsdale then?
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 06:50 AM

The Dish,

I'd like to call and ask for a specific room location. Could you recommend what I should ask for? Is there a better view/location, etc. that you could recommend? Thanks!
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 06:50 PM

Hi Nina-
I don't remember which rooms we stayed in during our several visits to the resort. However, we always stayed in a one-bedroom corner suite on the top floor with a view overlooking the desert hillside. Incredible!!! The resort consists of many, many separate buildings spread out along a very steep hillside. We've always stayed at the top of the hill. The rooms are beautifully decorated and very spacious. Completely top-notch. Be sure to have dinner at The Different Pointe of View. They have an outside seating area (I think it's just for drinks and admiring the view, as they don't serve dinner out there.) with a bonfire, of sorts, and a killer view of the city lights below. Be sure to stop into their lounge and enjoy the Kani Coles Band. They're incredible, if you enjoy light jazz. I can't say enough good things about this resort. We are locals and come over for dinner and music every couple of months. I wouldn't exactly say that the Pointe Tapatio is in the middle of nowhere. It would probably take you about 20-25 minutes to get into the heart of Scottsdale. Enjoy your stay.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 10:34 AM

TheDish,

Thanks for your response. I'm going to ask for a top floor, corner room too. I've heard great things about the restaurant too, so we'll definitely try it.

I realize this hotel isn't the caliber of a Biltmore (where my husband's stayed already), or the Phoenician, but with kids, a 2 room suite with queens instead of doubles, and for $83 a night, I don't see how we can go wrong!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 11:40 AM

If you are on a budget, try staying in a more central location like the "Biltmore" area... I suggest the Courtyard by Marriot on Camelback and 20-somthing street. We stayed there with 2 double beds for about the same price and at least it is close to EVERYTHING. Kid friendly too I thought.

What it does not have than the Hilton is the view, the restaurant, more resort-sy like feel to it, etc. I sometimes prefer location than aesthetics though.

Its really up to you... again the Hilton is not in the middle of nowhere, as it is in the city, just the northern suburban quadrant of it. And anything of interest is going to require a 20+ minute drive to (Downtown/Snotsdale/Biltmore Area/Tempe)
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:10 PM

$83 a night for Pointe South just doesn't seem realistic; we're at Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity and the property's website and rates are cosistently around $380 a night (last week in March). Are we getting robbed?