Hilton Waikoloa & kids

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hilton Waikoloa & kids

I just tried to make reservations for 4 nights in April at the Hilton Waikoloa for my family of 5 (kids 12, 9, & 6). They told me we would have to get 2 rooms! I was splurging just paying for 1! Any ideas? We kind of had our heart set on the Hilton since it looked like it had so much to offer. I'm so disappointed.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:55 PM

While in my opinion they did you a favor, the surrounding resorts are much nicer, try priceline. Not sure what rate you were getting but I've heard you can get the Waikaloa for approx. $150 a night.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:19 AM

I would call the front desk directly and explain that your children are young and small. A roll away and two double beds would certainly work but this is a trend through out Hawaii. I did get permission for five of us to stay in an "unnamed" hotel on Maui for next summer and I have reservations there. We probably won't stay at that particular hotel because the new Westin Ocean Resort Villas accommodate five also and its new. A far as the comment that you are "lucky' to not be able to stay at the Hilton Waikaloa, I disagree. I think it is a lovely resort and it is perfect for kids. The lagoon, the pool and the proximinity to the Kings Shopping area. We are staying there again next summer but I did get two rooms because I got an excellent government rate for one and I bought a package from Hilton Grand Vacations for the other. I am hoping for an upgrade to concierge. That is very useful when traveling with kids. There is a continental breakfast, snacks and soda as well as appetizers at night.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:58 AM

I got a room there through Priceline for $145 in February. April should be even lower since it's a low season. You could even start bidding now, aim for 120 or 130? Go to biddingfortavel.com and read the FAQ's before you bid and check out what bids were accepted or rejected.
It seems like Priceline only gets rooms at the Hapuna Prince and Hilton. I was actually hoping for Hapuna Prince, but I was happy with either.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:11 AM

I agree with Dawn. Call the resort directly and explain the situation. If reservations won't co-operate, ask to speak with the manager. Sometimes it's a matter of reaching the right person. One person may say no while another may ok it. Since your kids are young, they should be able to provide a roll-a-way bed as Dawn said. I can't imagine they haven't done this in the past. Be persistent, I think you will get the room in the end. Let us know, I would be in interested in the result. Good Luck.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I'll see what we can do. I was told by a friend that Hapuna Beach is great. Are there any condos there that we could rent? Maybe that would be a good alternative for our family.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:21 AM

We use to squeeze five into a room at the Waikoloa. We all got wrist bands for the room it was not an issue. There is a king sized bed and a pull out couch. I thought we had two on the pull out but I remember it being a narrow pullout. Order up a rollaway. We had an 11,12,15 and two adults. Go to the Hilton its loads of fun.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:05 PM

I stayed at the Waikoloa once with my son, who I think was 13 or 14. We were there for 6 night, I think. We did not swim with the dolphins due to the price.

The room was not cheap but the resort is self contained. There are a couple of pools (one has multiple water slides, etc.) where the kids can hang out.

Since my son is not much of a sightseer, I did leave him at the resort one day and went touring by myself. He was instructed just where he was allowed to order food as the restaurants at the resort are not cheap.

A tip for breakfast: There is a small shopping area just outside the resort. Eat breakfast there. It is a lot cheaper than what is available at the resort.

Your kids should have blast!