Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hilton Waikoloa Village - did we make a mistake?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:19 PM
RPV
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are making some relatively last minute plans for a week on the BI. Rates are understandably high so in my desperation I used Priceline (for the first time!) to book a resort in Kohala. I assumed we would be getting the Hapuna Prince (my #1 choice) but ended up at the Hilton. Got a fantastic rate but we are really turned off by the Disneyland comparisons.

Our goal for the trip is to relax and as a last getaway before our first child arrives in Nov. Now I feel as though staying at the Hilton will only remind us of children and not be the romantic getaway that we planned!

We generally stay at nice resorts that tend on the quieter and quaint side. The only plus I can see is that we will not be at a loss for things to do at the resort. At least we plan on having a car if the need to "escape" arises. Please tell me the Hilton is not overrun with kids and Vegas-like experience! We already live near Disneyland and Las Vegas!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:36 PM

We stayed at a condo in Waikoloa in April and walked thru the Hilton. I did find the place a bit on the tacky side and there were quite a few kids. It's not as bad as Vegas but felt very artificial to me. I much preferred the atmosphere of the Marriott next door. Just curious, why did you assume you would be getting the Hapuna? At this point, try to make the best of things and be glad you got a great rate. Like you said, you'll have a car and access to plenty of quieter spots.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:48 PM

I stayed at the Mauna Lani last June and went to the Hilton for the day to eat and do Dolphin Quest. To be honest, the Hilton was not my thing, but it was not as bad as I feared. It was a bit overrun with people and yes, there were a lot of kids around. But it is a huge property and I'm sure you can find some secluded and adult areas. There were a couple of fancy restaurants on the property that probably won't draw large numbers of kids, especially if you eat dinner late. Also, look at the property map closely and when you check in or before, request a room located out of the hubbub. The exact opposite of the room you'd request if you had kids with you! Away from the day camp, away from the pool with the kid slide, etc. etc. Also, not every family group we saw at the Hilton had kids, if that makes you feel better! I'm sure you will have a better time than you expect. You will definitely not be bored. And you are also an easy drive to some other nice BI resorts where you could go for dinner at sunset.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:59 PM

Depends on when you are going I would think RPV. I have visited the Waikoloa a number of times but never during school break. I think that is key when you are dealing with Hiltons in Hawaii. I stayed at the Hilton in Waikiki in August one year and learned this lesson the hard way. They don't know how (or care) to respond to patrons when they are operating at full capacity. If you got your rate on priceline chances are you are going during a low occupancy period. I have seen August book up at the Waikoloa 6-8 months a head of time. You want to avoid on these occasions. I would not say that of other hotels but it has been my experience with Hilton.

Having said this, it is a fun hotel. If you enjoy waterslides and beautifully landscaped shore side grounds you are in for a treat. I love this hotel. If you find your self stuck here during school break season don?t sweat it you only want 1-2 days by the pool anyway, 45 minutes and you are on the Kohala coast. If any hotel would keep you from this than why come?
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 01:15 PM
RPV
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I guess my initial reaction was a bit extreme. Just a bit suprised since I ruled out the Hilton immediately once we started planning. Hopefully, the beginning of July will be a relatively quiet period and we never intended to spend all of our time at our resort. I can't really complain since the other hotels I wanted - Hapuna Prince, Mauna Kea, Mauna Lani are all $50-100 more per night. For 7 days that adds up.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 05:30 PM

It depends what tower you are staying in at the Hilton. Ask for the more adult romantic one. Some are much fancier than others.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 10:05 AM
RPV
Original Poster

Thanks but which tower would be considered the "more adult romantic one"? I'm thinking just go with the Palace Tower since it seems the most convenient for my pregnant wife. The Ocean Tower does have an adults only pool but it's the furthest away and huge! I'm not sure you can get away from the kids at any of the towers. Just hope they aren't too overwhelming.

Regardless, we are getting excited. Countless stuff to see and do outside of the resort. After all, that's why we chose the big island over the others.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 10:41 AM

I would recommend the Ocean Tower definately. First, that is where the adults only pool is. Second, on the lawn by the Ocean Tower are the cabanas and hammocks for two that face the beach. It is very relaxing (and romantic) to lay on those at sunset and watch the waves crash against the rocks. Although there are kids in every tower obviously, the Lagoon Tower is the most family friendly. (although for some odd reason the Kids Club is in the Ocean Tower; but that should not bother you since its tucked in a corner) Although the Ocean Tower is furthest from parking, you can take the trams or boat to your car if your wife is tired due to the pregnancy. The Palace Tower has no pool; so if you stay there you will always be walking back and forth to a pool.
I'm sure you have a fabulous time no matter what. There will be kids everywhere in HAwaii in the summer, so enjoy the great rate!!
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 11:57 AM

We stayed there last year. I think we were in the Ocean Tower - it was the farthest one away to the right of the lobby - but you didn't have to walk there - they had trams or little boats to get you there. We liked it fine, it was a nice hotel - we were there in May - so there were really no kids there since they were all in school (lots of honeymooners, though....). It's such a huge property that it was fairly easy to find quiet places. It wouldn't probably be my first choice, but I didn't think it was a bad choice, at all. If you can, I would try to get on the Concierge level - make sure you join the Hilton Honors thing - and you might ask for an upgrade considering your situation - they were awfully nice there... It's Hawaii, you'll be alone - it will be great. Make sure you have a car - and we did have an incredibly romantic dinner at the Orchard Beach (or whatever that hotel nearby is called) that was wonderful...
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 12:06 PM

If you are looking for quiet I think the Palace Tower would be better. We have been there several times and found the Palace Tower to have more peace and quiet and the Ocean Tower to have more kids and activity.

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 12:10 PM

The Hilton Waikoloa was a pretty big turn off for me when we visited. Very dated for being about 16 years old, poor service seemed to be the rule, scads of kids running around (as there should be at a place like this...it's a kids paradise) and very plain, unluxurious rooms.
One more reason I'd never use priceline.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 01:24 PM
RPV
Original Poster

Thanks, again, for all the replies. Already have our Big Island Revealed and an SUV lined up for adventures outside of the resort. I think the Palace Towers might do the trick since it isn't located near any activities or pools.

In Priceline's defense they have booked folks at the Hapuna Prince (as per biddingfortravel.com) and I got a fantastic rate on the SUV. A crap shoot I guess but lesson learned.

Can't wait for our trip!
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 02:15 PM

We stayed in the Ocean Tower with a child (hope it didn't bother anyone- LOL!) The walls are pretty thick. We had some problems with the safe and something else... I forget... but they fixed it quickly. It was a PAIN to carry all our stuff from the elevators all the way around to our ocean view room. Take that into consideration of your pregnant wife when picking a room. Get somewhat close. It was also a pain when we wanted to get somewher quick. The long walk then the tram ride..... Maybe if you booked a room more in the very front of the tower. And be a dear and book her for a maternity massage at the spa! Is she going in the pool with the dolphins? I read something once about dolphins and pregnant women...forgot if it was good or bad. They sense the baby though.

I have gone there several times just for the day or a wedding. I did not find it crowded for the huge space that it covers.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 02:47 PM

I don't know how Hilton treats Priceline stays as far as specific room location requests. Many properties seem to put Priceline guests in a certain area (usually the less desirable part) of the hotel. Have you read anything on biddingfortravel as far as what room location others have gotten? If you have elite status in Hilton Honors that would certainly help.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 03:26 PM
RPV
Original Poster

yes, I read a couple of reviews. No mention of whether they were downgraded. I figure given the draw of this resort that the Palace Towers would be the least desirable. I would assume most folks would want to stay at the Lagoon. The Ocean tower would still be ok so no worries.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 05:17 PM

RPV, I'm glad to see your change in outlook over the whole situation. Keep that attitude throughout your trip, and I'm sure your and your wife will have a terrific time! If the hotel turns out exactly as you feared, all the more reason to explore the BI as that was the primary reason for your decision to go there. Personally, I find too many posters on this board fretting about 4-5 star accomodation choices...how bad can you have it when you're in paradise!

Put aside your worries and make the most of your trip. Enjoy!!!
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 09:15 PM
kip

I'd ask for a room in the Ocean Tower. We stayed in the Palace Tower years ago and had a "deluxe oceanfront room" - a long way back from the ocean- that was right above the area where convention luau's and shows are held at night. It was awful. The hotel moved us to the ocean tower after two nights and a call to the hotel manager. The ocean tower was much nicer. Keep a sense of humor about you and you should have a nice trip.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 11:27 PM

Just curious (since I've never used priceline)... what rate did you get anyway?

I would like to know just how good these deals are!!