Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Plenty of miles, but little cash. Where to stay on Kaua'i?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Jay

It's been a very bad year and I really need a vacation with the only positive thing I have in my life, my beautiful, caring wonderful new girlfreind. I have plenty of miles for us to get to Kauai, but I'm very limited on funds. Can anyone recommend accommodations and places to eat that won't cost me a fortune? We love the outdoors and are confident we will find plenty to do on the island without spending a whole lot so any input on a budget trip would be greatly appreciated.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 11:20 AM
xxx

Your best bet is probably a condo. Depending on the time of year, you can probably find something for under $100 per night. Cooking your meals in your own kitchen is really the best way to save money in Hawaii as dining out can get very expensive. Try www.vrbo.com fo a very good selection of condos. Invest in a copy of the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook for good tips on where to find cheap eats. They also provide good info on a lot of condos and other accomodations. Good luck.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Anthony

With regard to a hotel, your best bet would be to bid on priceline.com for a 3* hotel. The Sheraton Kauai usually comes up for about a $95/nt bid.
Checkout www.biddingfortravel.com for advice on bidding on priceline.

There are many resonabley priced restaurants on Kaauai; it may just mean you have to drive from where you are staying. I've found that when we stayed at the Hyatt, the breakfast buffet there was too expensive - so we took a drive to the town of Koloa, and went to an IHOP, where we had breakfast for 2 at the cost of 1 buffet @ the Hyatt. Yes, it was about a 15 min drive, but to us it was worth the cost savings. I don't mind paying more for dinner, but I don't want to spend $20/person on breakfast, especially when I only want eggs, pancakes and such. There is also a great seafood place - very famous and casual, I think it's 'Brennekes on the Beach', that we enjoy eating at when we are in Kauai.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Anthony

Hey, I would 2nd the idea of a condo. Yes, you can save alot on meals with a kitchen; even making picnic-type lunches to take with you when you are siteseeing.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 11:46 AM
xxx

Can't you cash in miles for hotel points? Almost certain you can with Amex.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Jay

If you don't mind roughing it, try the cabins at Kokee State Park ($35-$45 - reserve well in advance), or there are numerous state and county beach parks where you can tent camp for $3-$5 per night. For a budget oceanfront hotel, try the Hotel Coral Reef in Kapaa.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Nancy

Garden Island Inn (.com) was nice and reasonable, with kitchens. Across the street from the beach and park.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Nancy

I forgot, there was a pizza place called the Brick Oven (or something) that was very good!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Maggi

Hi Jay, have you considered renting a house? We did just that in September, stayed at www.kauaivilla.com, a "detached" condo on the north shore. It was our favorite place of all the one we stayed in Hawaii and will always come back to this one. The weekly rate is around $900 for the week and you can cook your own meals to save a ton of money that way. Good luck!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Brenda

Jay,
There are some inexpensive accommodations on the South Shore, Poipu area. Condos or cottages will be your best bet. As everyone has said, with a condo or cottage , you can cook your own meals. One suggestion is the Prince Kuhio condos whicih are budget minded but are just fine. I had a friend who rented a 1 bedroom there last year and I visited. It was a clean, well appointed condo and he said he got a good rate but I don't now what that was. These are individually owned condos rented through local rental companies or by the owners themselves.
Here are a few websites that will have condos listed in this complex, as well as others:
vrbo.com
hawaiicondosbyowner.com
kauaivacationrentals.com
suite-paradise.com
poipuconnection.com
kauaiproperties.com
Good luck, you really can do Kauai on a budget.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Jay

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the posts, I appreciate your help!!!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Minnywall

Hi Jay -

http://www.plantationretreat.com
My husband & I stayed there last February & had an absolutely wonderful time. It's a drive to the beach, but I would stay there again in a heartbeat if we ever make it back there.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 12:28 PM
kal

Jay, A few people have been mentioning getting deals at the Best Western's Plantation Hale in Kapaa near the Coconut Marketplace.

Central location, walking distance to Safeway (get the Safeway club card before you go over) or Foodland. A lot of enexpensive restaurants in the area too.

Good luck,
Kal

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 06:19 PM
DAN

LOOK AT A1 VACATIONS.COM GOOD LUCK