First time to New Orleans

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Sandie

First time to New Orleans

We have decided to travel to New Orleans in late May? Is this a good time to visit? I saw a good price for the Hotel Monteleone. I would like a hotel which is not a chain. We also will not be renting a car. Any thoughts on hotels in a good walking area would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 10:18 AM
xxx

ttt.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 10:30 AM
bettyk

The Monteleone is right in the French Quarter so you would not need a car if you remain in the Quarter. We stayed at the Monteleone for our honeymoon but that was 27 years ago. I think it's still a good hotel and if you got a good rate, I'd go for it. Remember, though, that in late May, it will already be hot and humid in New Orleans as it is in most of the South.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Sandie

Thank-you. When does it begin to get hot and unbearable? I suppose early May would be a better time frame. I love warm coming from the East Coast, I will be ready for warm by then, but not horribly warm. I was also interested in a hotel called Prince Conti. There are so many to choose from but I suppose as long as I stay in the Quarter we will be all right.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Ryan

I stayed at the Monteleone a few years ago. I'd give it a mild recommendation. The location is great as it is in the Quarter. However, we had a room that had very thin walls. Let's just say that it was no mystery to determine the activity going on between the couple in the next room.

You also might want to make sure that renovations have been completed. Despite the fact that the work was going on two floors above us, it was pretty loud. Being woken at 9 a.m. by hammering is not a good thing in New Orleans!

BTW, we were there in late May and the weather was really nice.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 11:43 AM
bettyk

Sandie, I live outside Houston which has about the same weather as New Orleans. As the previous poster said, the weather can be "nice" or it can be "HOT" at that time of year. No way to predict unfortunately. We're always at the mercy of the Jet Stream, El Nino or something!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Richard

All the above posts are correct, but I think that May is one of the better months to come here.

The Monteleon is a beautiful hotel, and has the cutest bar off the lobby. The location is excellent, but then again anywhere in the Quarter would do.

Another to look at is the St Louis hotel, it is a nice historic hotel, and they have a wonderful outdoor central courtyard to dine in.

You do not need a car, but when cabbing to the Quater make sure you have small bills. Most cabbies are good, but a few love to tell you they have not change to squeeze a big tip out of you.

Try not to spend all you time in the quarter however, get out and see the REAL New Orleans.

Add to your list Audubon Zoo, Uptown, and if your into the Arts be SURE you go to the New Orleans Museaum of Art, which is near City Park. Web site www.noma.com

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Ronnie

If it's your first visit check out websites like citysearch.com for all kinds of good reviews and just about everything you ever wanted to know about New Orleans. It's a blast! Great coupons too!