Search

celiac disease - kauai vacation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 05:13 PM
cjn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
celiac disease - kauai vacation

we have celiac, haven't had a vacation since 1987, and are, at long last, planning a trip to kauai. we need accomodations with a kitchen and a bidet. how do we go about finding this? also, where can we either shop for food, or dine out safely? many thanks.

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 06:09 PM

I had someone next to me at a dinner this week complaining "Oh, no, fruit!" when dessert was served. "Not again!".

There's something I don't understand - where do you shop and dine at home? Wouldn't the same guidelines follow in Hawaii?

There are so many recommendations for condo rentals on this board. I doubt many of them will come with a bidet. Maybe so. VRBO.com is a good place to start.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 08:26 PM

I have a good friend with celiac who travels to Hawaii regularly. It's easy to find a place with a kitchen-there's plenty of condos and vrbo rentals (tons of recs on this board as the above poster says). There's a natural food store on Kauai where you can buy gluten free products-you could google for the name and call them to see if they carry specific things that you know you will want. My friend often brings some of her own food if she thinks her favorites will be hard to find (she generally travels with an extra suitcase for food). As for eating out, you'd take whatever precautions you'd take at home (if that means you don't eat out, then don't eat out in Hawaii, either).
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 07:57 AM

Hmmm...a bidet -- whether in hotel, condo or private home -- might be difficult to find here on Kaua`i. I've actually never seen one, but perhaps the suites at Hyatt or Princeville hotels have them. Anyone know?

For groceries, it's easy to find gluten-free grocery products here -- Papaya's Natural Foods has two "health food" stores (Kapa`a and Hanalei), with a large selection of organic produce and other products.

As for dining, starrsville has made a good point -- use the same dining-out guidelines as you would use at home.

Have a _great_ visit!

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 10:34 AM

1. Perhaps one of the Celiac organizations may have helpful info. (if not for Kauai specifically then for travel and eating-out in general.) There are several with websites, just try Googling.

2. Regarding bidets:
While there are a number of countries in which bidets are standard, it seems like in the U.S. they can only be found in _some_ of the absolute highest-end hotels.

I really don't understand why they haven't caught-on here.