Short Trip Report to NYC, Mom & teen daughter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughter is still on winter break so she and I snuck off to NYC this past weekend. We arrived late on Saturday afternoon. I'm lucky enough to have a brother who lives across from the park on the Upper West Side so that's where we stayed. By the way, we drove to Princeton Junction and got two round trip tickets for $36.50. Beats those Amtrak fares by a mile!

Saturday night the three of us had a quick dinner at Le Pain Quotidian and we were off to see the Mikado at City Center. It was a good performance and my first Gilbert & Sullivan so that was fun!

Sunday morning we ate some good NY bagels and cappucinos, and headed up Columbus to the flea market. Daughter bought a hat and I bought a great scarf. Time (again) to grab a bite so we stopped at a diner on Amsterdam (on the block up from Gray's Papaya)for omelets and home fries.

Time now for The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. We really enjoyed this show. I had gotten discount tickets through broadwaybox.com so it was also a good value.If you want a show that keeps you laughing, this one fits the bill.

If you recall I was concerned that I wouldn't find a good bar to watch the Eagles/Giants game, but fear not, I simply walked across the street to Harmony View and found the perfect spot. The hostess seated us directly in front of a big screen plasma TV, we ordered up nachos and a Black and Tan for me and we were set. I tried to be a little low key in my rooting for the Eagles, but I wasn't very successful. Turns out though that the place had quite a few of us Philly folks in it and a good time was had by all! Go Eagles! Oh, by the way, the actor who played the Vice Principal in the play we just saw came in, and sat near us. He was a Giants fan, but admitted that he didn't think that they would win.

We had dinner with my brother (he had gotten goodies at Zabar's) and then went to the movies at Lincoln Center to see The Queen.

Monday we went to Macy's and Daffy's, & had turkey clubs at yet another NYC diner. We had a little siesta and then went to Barnes & Noble for browsing and coffee. We took the subway down to Houston and walked to Vandam where we had tickets to Room Service at the SoHo Playhouse. This was a little bit of an odd experience for us. It was a very small theater that was only about 1/4 full, but there were a couple of people who laughed raucously almost from the first moment. To me, this is the kind of screwball comedy that builds as the situation gets more out of control, and this hysteria right from the start was disconcerting. However, this is a small point, and we did enjoy the production (well reviewed in the WSJ& NYT so that's why we went for it.)

Afterwards we walked a few blocks to Arturo's on Houston where we had some good pasta and listened to a 3-piece jazz ensemble (thanks Lizzie for this recommendation.) Be warned, the tables are close together here & we were practically sitting at the same table with a couple who was rehashing their entire relationship. So, that was entertaining but slightly embarassing.

The next morning we had facials scheduled at Mario Batescu on East 52nd St (another Fodorite recommendation - thanks again.)This was a nice 75-minute facial for only $60 and since I was paying for 2, I really appreciated this. Of course, I added on a few treatments so my facial was a bit more expensive.

We had lunch at Mimi's, an Italian place on the corner of 52nd and 3rd. I had a delicious veal marsala and glass of chianti, and with that, our trip was over. Hopefully, we can make this an annual trip.

Sorry for the many typos I'm sure I've made.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a good trip! I'll have to think about the facials when I go with my teen. What did your daughter think of it?

If you do go back my teen liked Rent and Avenue Q too but they do have adult content.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, I think she really liked the facial, but she would never spend her own money on it. I guess that's why it was a treat!

I read something (maybe on here?) about someone seeing Avenue Q with their mother, and squirming in their seat so I took a pass on that one.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:54 PM

What a great time with your daughter. Fun report; thanks for posting.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Nice report, sounds like you really had a great time!