Reload this Page >

Please tell me why the Halekulani is wonderful

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Hawaii

I know that people have posted quite a bit of info on this hotel recently. What I have found though is that many people either love it OR love the Kahala Mandarin. I am trying to make a decision between the two. Since they both seem to be great hotels, I thought if someone could tell me what makes this hotel truly wonderful, it will help me to make up my mind. I am also looking for convenience since I only have 2 nights and 2 full days on Oahu. Would staying at the Kahala be much less convenient? And, exactly how loud and busy is the Halekulani and the area surrounding it?

Thanks to everyone for some much needed help. And thanks for putting up with might seem like a little redundancy.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 07:22 AM
aloha

Think they're both known for their service, just depends if you want a quiet resort off the beaten path (Kahala) or a quiet resort in the heart of it (Halekulani). There's no right answer, just depends if you like walking out your door and being in a city or would prefer a more isolated resort.

Both have impeccable service and good dining. Friends who stay at Halekulani describe it as an "oasis" in the heart of it. I don't think it's a loud property. I would guess there are loud rooms, but again, it's up to you when you check in to make sure your room is satisfactory.

Personally, the swim with dolphins at Kahala sounds a little hokey for my taste, but Mandarin's are one of the top hotel chains in the world so can't imagine it's like Disneyland or anything.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Hawaii

aloha, thanks for your reply. Do you think it would be more convenient to get to the sights in Honolulu if I stay at the Halekulani, or won't it make much of a difference?

Thanks again!

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 10:55 AM
nycer

I think the Halekulani is a better choice if you have a very limited in Honolulu. You will be right on Waikiki Beach within walking distance to many sights. Also, you won't waste anytime driving/parking which is a real hassle. The Halekulani has a wonderful restaurant (Orchid) that serves the best coconut cake! It is an elegant, classy hotel.

The Kahala Mandarin is also a very nice hotel, but the location is not convenient for most of the Honolulu sights. You would have to drive or shuttle to Waikiki Beach. The hotel is truly lovely, but for only two days I would definately stay at the Halekulani.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Hawaii

nycer, thanks for your advice. What you said definitely makes sense and is what I have been thinking as of late. I fell in love with the photos of the rooms at the Kahala so it was a toss up -beautiful rooms/convenient location. I guess that with only 2 nights, the convenient location has to win out. They are both great, so I'm sure that I'll be happy with either one.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 08:39 PM
Gary

I have stayed at both. Both are prime properties, but the Halekulani wins, as far as I am concerned. It is elegant. The service is incredible. They have a way of making you feel that you are a special guest. It's location, to me, is a positive. Yes, it is in the heart of things, but set back by a block or two, so that it's not crazy. But, all you have to do is walk that block or two and you've got all of Waikiki at your doorstep. That's where I'd stay, especially considering the short time you'll be there.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 01:07 AM
Alan

The photos of the room at the Kahala are misleading as they are NOT that beautiful in person, while the rooms at the Halekulani ARE quite nice, newer and with larger and nicer balconies and much better food (don't forget the wonderful French restaurant La Mer, expensive, but worth every penny!).