waikiki resort hotel?

Search

waikiki resort hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
waikiki resort hotel?

I've booked a trip in April for the Waikiki Resort Hotel. We are traveling with 2 children (7 & 12). We don't need a fancy resort hotel as we'll be touring the sights and not spending time in the hotel. Oahu Revealed rated the hotel as a good place - which is why I chose it, however since then, I've read many mixed reviews of this hotel & am wondering if it is safe or if I should quickly book another hotel? Any thoughts?
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 04:47 PM

I have not heard of this particular hotel, but the hotel can make or break your visit. I know you'll be spending a lot of time touring sites, etc. but when you want to go back to the hotel at the end of the day, a good hotel can make all of the difference. The Hilton Hawaiian Village was very nice with beautiful grounds. They have all types of rooms and rates. We've also stayed at the Ilikai, which was nice, but I think the HHV would be my first choice.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 06:12 PM

We always stay at the New Otani Kaimana athe Diamond Head end of Waikiki Beach: actually called San Souci, by the locals who heavily patronize it. There is a break in the reef in front of the hotel so many ocean swimmers use it to access open water, but the beach at the hotel is calm.

The Hau Tree restaurant is a wonderful outdoor beachside dining room.

This is the very quiet side of Waikiki and is backed by beautiful Kapiolani Park

AndrewDavid
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know a thing about that hotel, but spent some time visiting various budget properties when I was in Waikiki this past February.

The hotel I was at was FAR nicer than others in similar price range. If you decide to change plans, you might check with The Hawaiiana Hotel on Beach Walk. www.hawaiianahotel.com
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:35 AM

DL Nappy the revealed books are necessary for most trips to Hawaii but they are not oracles. This couple is not from Hawaii and they know Kauai best.

I have used these books on 3 trips over.
Some times their reccomendations are sound sometimes they have some kind of insentive to give good or poor reviews. ...that is very clear to me with each trip over. I like to read what they say but then also see what people in here and other survey's say (trip advisor).

If I find a review I am going to trust I see what else they have suggested, where they are from, what kind of travel they like to do. See if it is similar to mine. Just an idea.

In Waikiki, I am torn. Love the Ilikai (north end of waikiki) have stayed there for entire summers. Was just there for a week in July. I like having easy access to the Alamoana mall as well as the H1 out of Honolulu.

Still I like the end of Waikiki near the zoo. Its kind of nice to leave your lodging and stroll in Waikiki center in the morning, rock on those rocking chairs at the Moana Surfrider(on the porch and back end of the hotel, overlooks lawn and then an ocean).

The Ilikai Hotel overs breaks to State and federal workers. If you call the condo association on the second floor (separate from hotel) you might also find additional deals. The ocean views here are really worth it if you can afford, if not mountain views are nice too.