Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

FInding a less expensive hotel in Honolulu? Is that possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 12:11 AM
Rebecca

I'm going to Honolulu for the weekend next month. Any advice on cheaper hotels? I can't seem to find anything under $300 per night. Thanks!!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 02:41 AM
annemarie

Okay...phone the Hawaiian Regent and the Pacific Beach and ask for their entertainment rate...don't worry if you don't have the entertainment card, just call...if that rate is acceptable call Entertainment publications(800 number) and ask how long it would take to get a book with the card out to you. It costs about thirty dollars. Hop this helps!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Ginny

Some suggestions:

Manoa Valley Inn near the University of Hawaii,
Ohana Waikiki Surf or any of the Ohana Hotels (www.ohanahotels.com)
Hawaiiana Hotel
Royal Grove Hotel-Oahu
Royal Garden Waikiki

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 07:01 PM
antoniette

Here are a few others: Miramar Hotel, Waikiki Terrace, Waikiki Gateway, Marc Suites Waikiki, they should all be under $300.00 u.s./nt

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 09:58 PM
carla

I have been to Honolulu many times, and I really like the end of Waikiki at the foot of Diamond Head. It's much less developed and less crowded. There's a great beach there called San Souci and the locals refer to it as the Swimming Pool, as the water is protected by the off shore reef and therefore, very calm.

In this location I just discovered the Diamond Head Beach Hotel. It is right on the water, and you can use the private beach just steps away, or walk 2 minutes to San Souci beach. I stayed in a one-bedroom suite(with a separate living room/dining and a kitchen). It was a very good value at under $200/night. Some of the rooms have been recently remodeled. I stayed in room #402, and it had new carpets, drapes and furniture. The hotel is run by Marc Resorts. Their number is 800 535 0085.

The location of the hotel also has the advantage of also being right in front of Queen Kapiolani Park, so you can run, ride bikes, play tennis, etc. Have fun!

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 01:25 AM
Ross

Hi Rebecca!!!

I just made a reservation at the Marriott Waikiki Towers a the rate of $99 a night. It's a renovation special. Thehotel is undergoing complete renovations. It's 70% off the regular rate for thhis type of room.

Good Luck.
Ross.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Ali

You may want to try the Alana Doubletree in Waikiki and see what the rates are. They will be reasonable. The Alana is just outside the heart of Waikiki which can be a zoo - closer to the Ala Moana Shopping Center. The $300/night rooms are probably at hotels on or directly across from the beach. The Alana is within walking distance of a beautiful strip of white sand beach. Good luck with your search.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Michelle

We are going to Maui in July. I spoke with a friend who goes every year. They had to stay overnignt in Honolulu & stayed at the Waikiki Parkside. We got a room for the night there for under $100. It has had renovations done last year. My friends said it was perfectly fine but not fancy of course. I found an url for it. If you want the url let me know.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 06:58 PM
Leilani

The Kai Aloha Apartment-Hotel is in Waikiki just across from Fort De Russy. It's not fancy, but it's clean, with maid service, and the staff is helpful and friendly. I haven't been there for a couple of years, but I'm sure the rates don't even approach $300.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 07:57 PM
Humuhumu

Rebecca,

I would be careful of the real low-end places. I live in Honolulu and have heard many disappointing stories about the under $100/night places. You should be about to find something nice for around $150/night. I would agree with Carla that the area at the foot of Diamond Head is very nice, and not as crowded. If you can get something at the Diamond Head Beach for around $150/night I would go for it.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 11:00 PM
Rebecca

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions! I will check into some of these. You have all been so helpful! Thank you! This is wonderful! Rebecca

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:05 AM
kd

Rebecca: On Annemarie's advice, we stayed at the Hawaiian Regent on Waikiki last September for two nights using the Entertainment Card discount. The price was $150 for an ocean view room. It was really partial ocean view but it was great. The hotel is beautiful--very Hawaiian and we were very happy with everything there. Just one thing though--the pool is not very big or fancy--its pretty small. We didn't care because we never use pools in Hawaii anyway--we always go to the beach and swim in the ocean. They have an area partitioned off right in front of the hotel that is very calm and you can swim. It is also withing walking distance to numerous restaurants (Duke's at the Outrigger is great) and shops. Have a great time.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 02:53 PM
Melissa

FYI, the Hawaiian Regent *is* the Marriott Waikiki. The Marriott took over last fall. The Kalakaua Tower is renovated and really nice!

Old May 2nd, 2001, 07:06 PM
Lori

Aloha Rebecca, we just stayed 5 days at the Aston Coconut Plaza Hotel for $55 a day (half off with the Entertainment Card). Clean room included kitchenette, daily cont. breakfast and newspaper. Its on Lewers Street in the heart of Waikiki on the Ala Wai canal. Its a low-rise building, 10 stories, get a room on higher floor facing the mountains. Parking is $9 per day, which is common for that area, but on the weekends you can park on Ala Wai Street for free. This is not a resort but a quaint hotel with a friendly staff. Good luck and have a super vacation! Ü

Old May 14th, 2003, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yesterday we got a 4 1/2 star hotel in Waikiki -Yacht Harbor on Hotwire.com for $102/nt. It turned out to be the Hawaii Prince Hotel overlooking Yacht Harbor. I checked out the hotel's website, it looks like a very nice hotel. Our first choice was to stay in the Diamond Head area, but we would have gotten a mediocre hotel for the same price we paid for the Prince.
Old May 14th, 2003, 07:08 PM

Try www.RobertsOvernighters.com
1-800-899-9323
Ask for a car/hotel combo. I usually get compact car and hotel for around $100 day.....Works for me
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:05 PM

I can heartily second Carla's recommendation of the Diamond Head end of Waikiki. We stayed at the New Otani Kaimana right on Sans Souci Beach and were more than satisfied. Their current rate for an ocean view deluxe room is $225. They also have a great beachfront outdoor restaurant, the Hau Tree.
Old May 15th, 2003, 03:35 AM

p.s. I have three pictures of our stay at the New Otani on Webshots. Go to http://community.webshots.com/user/maggiwun and click on Hawaii Oahu.