Please critique my Hawaii Itinerary

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please critique my Hawaii Itinerary

I'm planning an anniversary trip for my husband and I to Hawaii next year. We will have a total of 14 nights. We are thinking of flying into the Big Island and staying 4 nights, then 5 nights in Maui, 4 nights in Kauai, and one night in Honolulu (we would have two full days since we would arrive in the morning, and it seems most flights are red eyes when we leave). I don't know when/if we will ever get back to Hawaii, so I'd like to see as much of it as possible, but I'm wondering if this is too much traveling? Also, it looks like we would be able to get direct flights between all of the islands except for Maui and Kauai. Also, does the island order I have chosen make since? I was thinking that we should go to Oahu last since it seems to be cheaper to fly home from there. Thanks so much for your insight.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:40 AM

We just got back from Hawaii: Maui 1 night (flew in late), Kauai 3 nights, Maui 4 nights and flew home from Maui. So that was only 1 inter-island roundtrip (there are non-stops between Maui and Kauai on Island Air).

We didn't expect to get back to Hawaii so wanted to see at least 2 different islands, but even for those 2 inter-island flights, I hated wasting time in the airport (one flight was 3 hrs late due to weather), getting new cars, and moving into new rooms. Each transfer took up a good portion of the day.

My point is, try to limit the transfers as much as possible, even if you drop an island. Transfering between 4 in 14 days will use up a lot of time that could be spent much better.

BTW, Maui was our favorite. I, who usually get bored places after a few days, could have easily filled a week there.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:55 AM

I think it's doable considering you have 14 nights. We did 11 nights on two islands (Maui and Kauai) with one full day (no nights) at the end in Oahu. I definitely feel we would have added the Big Island if we had a few more nights. I think your trip sounds great, maybe even ideal. Have a wonderful time.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:45 AM

Lauren...we too are planning a trip - 14 days in September. I have never been, and really can't speak from experience but everyone told me to choose one or two Islands...they talked me out of three because Island hopping takes valuable time. So we settled on 6 nights in Oahu with a one day fly over and back to BI, and then 5 nights in Maui, and then our last two days will be spent in San Fran. I hear you...we don't know if we will get there again either, but I want to relax and see the sights whereever I end up!

NannyJan
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:56 AM
bonniebroad

lauren27, I would drop an island and do three, but I would give Oahu more time, no less than three nights or even four. I recommend Oahu, Maui and Big Island for a first trip. Kauai is wonderful but I think four islands are one too many for 14 nights. You will see gorgeous greenery on the other three islands .... Have a great trip!

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:34 PM

I also think you ought to spend more time on Oahu. Skip one or two of the other islands.

There is far more to see and do on Oahu than any other island.

Lots of info:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34696831

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com

www.bigisland.org

www.kauaidiscovery.com

www.kauai-hawaii.com

Many of the sites will send free brochures.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:09 PM

Agree with bonniebroad. Skip Kauai, more time on Oahu. Plenty of things to see on Oahu.

Also agree with the use of travel time.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:27 PM

I'd drop an island too. Probably the Big Island, it's too spread out. Fly directly into Oahu and spend about 3 days there, then absolutely fly to Kauai (the Garden Island) and home from Maui. I've been many, many times to the Islands, they are all great.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:40 PM

lauren,

What you are going to see a lot of is the inside of car rental agencies, airports and airplanes. Not to mention checking in/out of hotels. I, as some of the other posters have, would suggest that you cut back on the islands and leave yourself a reason to go back. By not trying to do four islands you will be giving yourself much more time to experience Hawaii instead of playing "If Today Is Tuesday This Must Be Belgium".

8-)
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:50 PM

Just got back from Maui and loved it. I agree with other posters that I would cut back and do 3 islands instead of 4. The traveling in between and hotel check in/outs will take up a lot of the valuable time that you could be spending on the islands that you choose. If you have never been, I would suggest Oahu. This is the most commercialized of all the islands, but I wouldn't have missed the view of Waikiki and Diamond Head. Maui is a great balance of everything in the Hawaiian islands and is my favorite. Kuaui is the place you want to go if you really want to get in touch with nature. The Big Island is actually my second choice. If it were my first trip, I would divide my time between Oahu, Maui and the Big Island.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We are going to cut out one island. Now I just need to decide which one to cut!
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 06:42 PM

I was just going to tell you that I thought your itinerary looked fine!

We did Maui (2), Kauai(4) and the Big Island (4) in 10 days. It was a lot of traveling, but you have a little more time to relax and enjoy where you are. We had been to Maui before, so only stayed 2 nights. We then went to Kauai and loved it, then went to Hilo for two nights and drove to Kona for two nights. It was a lot of traveling and checking in and out, but we snorkeled in Maui, saw spouting horn, waimea canyon and waterfalls on Kauai, saw the volcano and the glowing lava at night, and snorkeled in Kona. So, I think we had a great vacation. Only you can decide if there is an island you can live without. It would be difficult for me to decide which to skip. Happy planning