How many islands in 15 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I along with our 2 boys (13 and 10) are headed to Hawaii the end of July for 15 days. Is it possible to see all 4 big islands in that time and not feel like we're living out of our suitcases?

We're starting with Oahu for 4 nights, moving onto Maui for 4 nights, then on to Volcano National Park on the Big Island for 2 nights, then off the Kauai for 4 nights. Is this too much? We want a mixture of adventure and relaxation.

Any advice you could give us would be most appreciated. Thanks!!
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:30 PM

I do think it is too much - you will spend a lot of time in airports, getting to airports, getting from airport to hotel, checking in, etc. I'd suggest no more than 3 islands, max. My personal preference would be 2 islands since I like to have time to relax and not rush through the "must see" things on a list. The first day you are likely to be quite jet lagged, so that day is partially lost. The last day is partially also lost to getting out of the hotel, checking into airport, etc. At the minimum I'd cut out the BI, since you only have 2 nights there. If you really want to see the volcanoes/national park then I'd cut out Kauai and deveote the days to a split of Maui/BI for 5 nights each.

You don't mention what things you want to do/see so I can't make more specific recommendations.

Happy travels!
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Kal

SUITCASE ALERT IMHO.

Especially with 2 kids that age.

I'd do Maui and Kauai with those "youngins".

Maui for more adventure and Kauai for a good mix of Adv/relaxation.

Mahalo,
Da Kal
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:46 PM

It all depends on your travel style...it may be a bit much, but you will get a wonderful sense of the islands as they are all so different.

My husband and I honeymooned in Hawaii last summer and spend 13 nights there. We stayed in Waikiki for 2 nights, the Big Island for 4 nights, and Maui for 7. This was perfect for us, we felt like we saw a lot.

This summer we are going for 13 nights again , but only hitting Oahu and Kauai to try something new. That being said, I LOVED the Big Island, and my husband and I both agreed that Volcano National Park was one of the best things about the trip. I think it's a great place to take kids...the Big Island is great for all kinds of adventures you can't get on the other islands. As for your relaxation time, you can do that on any of the islands
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:49 PM

You can't go to Hawaii and not go to Volcano NP. So much to do on the island with kids.

I'd do three islands - 4 on Oahu, and split the rest of the time between Big Island and Kauai. You need more time on the BIG Island.
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:04 PM

Two. Oahu and Kaua`i. Get a condo or a house on the north shore of Kaua`i and stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki.
-Bill
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:13 PM

I meant to say "with kids". You can't go to Hawaii WITH KIDS and not go to VNP. They will be amazed at all the (old)lava flows all over the island. Lots of fun things to do on the BI.
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:28 PM

You should have no problems at all with all four islands.
Your kids are the right age that they would appreciate Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island and also the many sights and things to do on Oahu.
Maui has Haleakala, Road to Hana.
Kauai has Waimea Canyon.
If you are going to do anything to alter your plans, I would add one more day to each of Oahu and Big Island and subtract two from Kauai. Or as Beachgirl 86 suggests, cut out Kauai completely. Add the time to the other three.
Oahu has by far the most things to do and you should spend the most time there.
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:05 PM

When my kids were that age, we would do Oahu first for 3-4 days, then Maui for a week. Lots of activities and fun. Their least favorite island was the Big Island and the Volcano. Now we love Kauai the most, so I'd take your last 5 days there, a helicopter ride over Waimea Canyon can't be beat.
As you can see, we all have our reasons for favorite islands.
8-)
Old May 5th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
here's the first thread...
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:21 PM

When I was 16, my parents took me and a friend to Hawaii for 8 days. We saw three islands in that time (Oahu for 3, Maui for 4, Kauai for a day trip only). I would've liked to see a little more of Kauai, but I didn't think our trip was overly rushed.

If it were just you and your husband, taking some much needed R&R in Hawaii, then 4 islands in 15 days might be too much rushing around. However, adolescents may actually need to be on-the-go on vacation. If you cut back on the number of islands, there is a good chance there would be more than one lazy days at the beach in there. As a 13 year old, I would have found that boring.

You're on vacation - of course you're living out of a suitcase (and there's no real shame in the action-packed vacation). If your boys are like me at their age, they'd like to see and do more stuff than spend multiple days headed to the beach.
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies!

I think that we will cut back to 3 islands. Based on the reading I've been doing, I definitely want to do Kauai. We have reservations at the Hyatt Regency on Poipu Beach, which is a bit of a splurge for us.

My youngest son really wants to see the volcano on the Big Island.

We also wanted to do Oahu for Waikiki, Hanauma Bay, Diamond Head, and Pearl Harbor.

It makes the most sense to cut out Maui at this point, especially since I heard the Road to Hana will be closed for repairs, and my youngest son isn't old enough to do the bike ride down the volcano yet.

The question is where do we add the extra time? Is Turtle Bay on Oahu worth it? How about the Kona Coast on the Big Island? or the North Shore of Kaui? Anyone have any experience with all of these? Also, has anyone been to Puuhonua o Honaunau Nat'l Park on the Big Island? How about the green sand beach on the Big Island? Is it worth the trouble to get there? Please advise.

Sharon
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Hana Hwy is not closed for repairs. There will be road work around that will involve closing one lane during weekdays from 8:30 - 3:30. From June 21 to July 1 both lanes will be closed from 11:30 till 3:30, weekdays. You can plan you trip to avoid these times, or make the trip on weekends.
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:08 PM
bonniebroad

swright18, first let me say, as long as you're in Hawaii, you'll be having fun so don't sweat exactly where you'll be! I would cut it to three islands, and sounds like you have decided to do just that. Especially if you're coming from the East Coast, I'd do five nights on Kauai, first night sort of lost to jet lag, to really unwind. Then five nights night on the Big Island, spending two nights at Volcanoes Nat'l Park and three nights on the Kona or Kohala Coasts of the B.I., then the last four nights on Oahu. I would sleep in Waikiki but drive out and about the rest of Oahu for a couple of days. I've been to the four majors a few times, and that would be perfect for me. Whatever you do, have a fabulous time. (And The Place of Refuge... 'Honaunau'... park on B.I. is DEFINITELY worth a visit!)

Old May 6th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Puuhonua o Honaunau Nat'l Park on the Big Island is a wonderful place, full of history in a terrific setting. Right near to it is a wonderful snorkeling spot called "two steps" - - a lava shelf you can sit put your gear on and then into the water for really great snorkeling. I love the Big Island!!
Old May 7th, 2005, 03:46 AM

i had the same amount of time and did 3. that seemed just right to me because it was such a long flight from the east coast, i wanted to get in as much as i could without over doing.

I went to maui, kauai, and the big island. got in snorkelling, lazing on the beach, hiking, helocopter ride over the volcano (volcano was BI and Iloved it)

maui was more the beach and snorkel part

Kauai was hike and snorkel

Hawaii was just cool because it is so different.

Oahu didn't interest me although many love it, i would give more time to the big island and cut out oahu and add on to others.

OR cut out kauai as it is very low key, but it's natural beauty is breathtaking. I Loved kauai but with kids maybe that's what you cut out.

you will be wasting a lot of time in the airport with all that island hopping. remember you've got to travel to the airport, be there an hour before your flight, fly, then transportation from the airport to your accomodations, that's a good half day for each interisland flight.

i'd do only 3.