First Time Hawaii questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking into going to Hawaii next spring. Originally, my husband and I planned on going to Oahu, Maui and Kauai for 10-12 nights. The more I read, I am concerned that this might be too much island hopping. I would like to see a lot of Hawaii, but I would also like to get a real feel for the islands I visit and I'm not sure if I could do that if I am only there for 3 or so days. I am now thinking of starting off in Oahu (staying on the North Shore, primarily) for a couple nights, and staying in Waikiki for just one night, and then moving over to Maui for the remainder of the time. Since we've never been to Hawaii, I can't imagine not seeing Pearl Harbor or Diamond Head, although I'm not sure how much I would like Waikiki (hence the one night there). I also want to do the Road to Hana, Haleakala, etc. in Maui as well as relax. Kauai seems beautiful, and the Big Island seems fun, but I am hoping (praying) to go back to Hawaii in the future, either as an anniversary trip or with kids perhaps as I know the Big Island has some great resorts and activities which seem well suited to that. So my question is, how did you decide on the islands you went to your first time around? Did you wish you did more, less? So many choices, so little time! Any suggestions are great.

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 09:57 AM

Aloha

My husband and I went to Hawaii for hte first time last year and we too had the same questions. Our trip was for 2 nights in Waikiki, 6 nights in Maui and 5 nights in Kauai. Since we had never been we did want very much to see Pearl Harbor and go on the HOme of the Brave Tour which included pearl Harbor and inside special tours of the military bases on the island which included lots of extras. My husband is a military history buff so this was for him. I was curious to see waikiki at least once.

We chose Maui becuse it had relaxation as well as lots of things to do. WE did the Old Lahina luau and road to Hana, staying one night at the Hotel Hana Maui so we would not have to do the trip in one day.
I wish we could have stayed longer becuse staying at the Hotel Hana Maui was the best part of our Maui stay WOW!

Then we went to Kaui as we both wanted to see the south pacific stunning beauty of Kauai and relax even more there. The highlights were our drive up waima canyon and our helicopter ride with a waterfall landing and picnic and swim in a private waterfall WOW Now this was the highlight of the whole trip. WE stayed on the north shore to see the stunning beauty of the Napali coast.

I do have a through trip report and lots of pictures of our Hawaii trip. Just email me at [email protected] and I will give you the link.

I hope this helped you with your decision.

kay
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 11:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think Oahu and Maui would be a great first trip, and allow you plenty of time so as not to feel rushed. Maybe 3-4 nights North Shore, then to Maui for a week, then one night in Waikiki before you fly out?

I have yet to get to Kauai or Big Island myself after 3 trips to Hawaii. Nothing against either I just think the two islands above are a better and easier introduction.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 12:39 PM

Playing devil's advocate here - I have been to Kauai once (AWESOME) for a day trip - rented a car, drove to the northern tip, and took a rafting expedition. Well worth it. Totally. The beauty is unreal.

As for the Big Island - I've stayed in Kona there for 4 of my 5 trips to the islands - I just find it less touristy and very natural, since it is the youngest island and still has lots of lava rock and such.

Waikiki (I stayed there the other trip) is just *way* too commercial for me - kind of like Miami Beach - but it depends on what you like. The Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head visits are really a "must do" - and there is a beautiful rain forest in the area, as well.

Maui is awesome - so lush. You will certainly enjoy that.

We generally stay on one island only, then buy the 7-day island hopper tickets and go on day trips. We don't have to worry about unpacking and repacking, or re-locating (these things are a burdens to me!) - and we still can go and see everything on all the other islands.

You will have a wonderful time - each island has its own personality, its own charms, its own life....
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 12:52 PM

Spend more time on Oahu. It has more to do than any other island.

Lots of info:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34696831
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:04 PM

We've been to Hawaii twice, and both times stayed on multiple islands due to the family members we were traveling with. If you'd like to see Pearl Harbor, I'd recommend staying the first day/night in Honolulu, then splitting the remaining time between two of the other islands. Kauai is laidback with lots of nature (waterfalls, Waimea Canyon/Grand Canyon of the Pacific,
helicopter tours,surfing beaches)- relaxing. Maui has road to Hana (twisty,turny all-day trip),sunrise over Haleakala dormant volcano,bike rides,winery,whale-watching tours,fun whaling town of Lahaina (lots of shops,restaurants,etc),sailboarding,lots to do. Big Island definitely needs a rental car-lot of ground to cover.Kona or Hilo the main towns - Volcanoes Nat'l Park is there,City of Refuge,black sand beaches,billfishing on ocean - most "rural" island. Luau's held on all of them, as well as beach/water activities. We'd prefer Kauai or Maui overall, due to less driving/more to see. Oahu (Honolulu's island)has surfing beaches,pineapple fields,snorkeling beaches, but the city is pretty much like any other. Good luck!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:39 PM
trippinkpj

Here were my four Hawaii trips and the order:
Oahu- 7 nights
Maui- 7 nights, Kauai 7 nights
Maui- 5 nights, Big Island 7 nights
Maui- 4 nights, Oahu 4 nights
I think you could do a Oahu/ Maui/ Kauai combo in 12 nights. But that would be the minimum I would spend. Here's my idea: Oahu- 3, Maui- 5, Kauai- 4. I would save Big Island for a time you have a full week to devote. It is big and takes a lot of time to do it justice.

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 08:33 PM

My wife and I went last year for our honeymoon (with lots of great advice and help from everyone in this forum), and we had an incredible time. We did 10 days total: 7 in Maui, 3 in Oahu (Waikiki).

We visited Oahu solely to see Pearl Harbor and shop.

Here are our thoughts:

1) In hindsight, we wished we had skipped Oahu altogether. Don't get me wrong, Pearl Harbor was incredible, but we were just not ready for the crowds of Waikiki after Maui.

2) Stay in Hana at least one night - we didn't and we wish we had!

3) Just take a helicopter trip to Pearl Harbor for the day and come back home to Maui.

4) We felt 10 nights in Maui would have been perfect. It took us about 2 days to totally unwind after the wedding and once you get in the "Maui Mood", its truly paradise.

5) We wished we'd visited Kauai instead of Oahu.

I know its a tough decision, and although we might say we didn't "like" an island, keep in mind that its relative to the others. Oahu is still paradise compared to where my wife and I live, but its not Maui.

You'll have a wonderful time regardless of which islands you choose. Good luck.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:09 PM

Spend one night and one day on Oahu--go to Pearl Harbor first thing, then go to Waikiki and walk around and head to Diamond Head. Go back to your hotel and get packed and GET ON A PLANE to another island. Kauai is BEAUTIFUL--very lush, unspoiled,relaxing. Maui is gorgeous, fun, with good restaurants and some ok shopping. Go to the country in any of the islands to get a feel for Old Hawaii. I would definately go to Kauai, Maui and spend a day on Oahu. Then on your next trip spend a couple more days on Oahu, and head for the Big Island--it is too big to rush, and is amazing. North Shore of Oahu is cool this time of year with huge waves, and big crowds. Spoil your soul and venture out to the other islands....
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:13 PM

KAL and Bill would most definitely tell you to stay the heck away from that "hell hole" called Kauai...bug bitten/rainey/ place..go to Maui...

Gotta love me KAL and Bill...
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 09:14 PM

I'll agree with those that say spend only a day on Oahu, and since you'll probably fly in and out of there, this shouldn't be a problem. If you think you won't like Waikiki, you probably won't. I tried to like it, I really did, and I did get out and see the rest of the island, but the lush beauty of Kauai and the amazing sights of the Big Island, to me, were so much better (I liked Maui, too).
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 09:25 PM

christy1,

If you love Kauai tell your friends to go to Muai8-)
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 09:29 PM

Errr, "Maui".
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think that is an excellent observation above that if you think you will not like Waikiki, you probably won't.

Personally I love the place but I am a fan of beach destinations that are a bit "honky-tonk" (Waikiki, Lahaina, Puerto Vallara, Provincetown).
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:21 AM

visormom,

...chickens, lousy restaurants, rich haoles with bads attitudes from the mainland and there's nothing to do.

-Bill