Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Plantation House Rest or Hula Grill in Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Deblynn

We have our nights tentatively scheduled with different restaurants. We have one night while staying at Kaanapali, we can go to Hula Grill or Plantation House. We want good seafood with a good view of the ocean at sunset. Any advice would be great.

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrlou and I always make a pilgrimage to Hula Grill, but only to their outdoor barefoot bar for pupus, burgers, fish&chips...yadda yadda...and sunset!!!!! Never considered eating inside. So this is just a gut feeling, since I haven't been to Plantation House, but haven spent tons of money on dining, that would be my first inclination if you want more than casual dining.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Plantation House is up a hill away from the ocean, with a nice, but distant ocean view. Less casual than Hula Grill. Hula Grill is right on the beach, but more noisy and lively. My suggestion would be to go to I'o in Lahaina. One of the best seafood restaurants we have been to ANYWHERE,
and in a romantic tropical garden setting on the beach with sunset views.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 07:25 AM

BTW, I'o has a website, www.iomaui.com
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Deblynn

xkenx;
Thanks so much for your suggestion. It sounds as if you have been to Maui a few times and are very familiar with the restaurants. We will maybe do Hula Grill our first night at the barefoot bar, then we will definitely go to I'O in Lahaina. It sounds great.
Do you have other suggestions for restaurants? Have you been to Mama's Fish House? Is it worth the money?
What about restaurants down in the Wailea area if you are familiar. Thanks! Deb

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:06 PM

Deblynn, we have not been to Mama's, but it is in Paia, a healthy drive. People describe it as pricey, but good. Two other outstanding restaurants are Roy's Kahana Grill, great eclectic mix of food in a happenin' setting, no view. And Sansei,
a Japanese/Pacific Rim restaurant in the little shopping area outside the front entry to Kapalua Bay Hotel. Also no view. You don't even have to care for sushi, because their hot and cold appetizer selection is awesome and mouth-watering. Zagat survey had Sansei their top-rated restaurant in the state a couple of years ago. No view.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 08:21 PM

When are you going? Chef Joey Macadangdang, formerly of Roy's Kihei will be opening his new restaurant, The Pineapple Grill, in Kapalua mid-May. I, for one, am greatly anticipating this place. Joey is an amzing chef and he's putting his heart and soul into this project. I will report back after opening weekend in a few weeks.

I think Hula Grill for casual, pupus and cocktails or lunch. Plantation House isn't right on the water but it has an incredible sweeping view and I've never had a disappointing meal there.

Mama's is actually in Kuau, beyond Pa`ia. If you don't mind spending the money and the drive, it is an experience for any visitor. The decor, the food, the views. If it wasn't so darned overpriced it would be the whole package, but $12 for a maitai is a bit steep, unless you are on vacation, which is what the good folks at Mama's count on--that people on vacation will spend that kind of money for a special meal. I do beleive, though, that if Mama's were in NY, SF or LA they would never be able to get away with the prices they charge for their food.

There are several restaurants in Wailea (as well in other parts of the island) that come close in price in Mama's, but they don't have the same food or Mama's je ne sais quoi. My favorite is Capsiche? at the Diamond Resort. The worst one has got to be the newly opened Bamboo Chi, which is so bad and overpriced that is has supplanted Humuhumu in my book as the worst place in Wailea.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Deblynn

Here today gone2maui;
Thanks for your recommendations. We will probably do Mamas once, although so much $$$ is hard to swallow. We also have made reservations @ Seawatch. Are they good? You wrote your favorite is Capiche? Is It? Does it have an ocean view? Sounds like you live in Maui, how wonderful! But expensive! Will also do Hula Grill or Kimos. Which is better? Sounds like they are owned by the same. Would you suggest reservations at all of our dining choices? It's hard to decide what time you want to go to dinner, when we're not sure of our itinerary yet, and don't want to be on a strict schedule, afterall, it's our anniversary!

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Can't comment on Hula Grill, but went to lunch at Kimo's less than 2 weeks ago, followed by another meal there, a few days later.... sunset dinner for 2, right on the railing (with no reservations, so we got lucky). Great view, food and service, price was reasonable, hard to go wrong, there! /Ren
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Had lunch at Hula Grill in December 04. Was a pleasant experience. The food was acceptable but not great.

HOWEVER, I bought the Hula Grill white long sleeved logo sweatshirt and I LOVE IT!!! So cozy and bright and happy. Kinda weird to recommend an article of clothing instead of the food but ... there it is.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 11:14 AM

Except for peak visitor times (Xmas, Spring break), for parties of more than 2, or special occasions, I usually call maybe an hour before we go out for reservations. I have yet to be told "no" by anyone--including Mama's. So many people make reservations and then don't show up that it's pretty easy to get in just about anywhere. Plesd, we tend to eat later. We find that the visitors go to dinner early and you get a table just about anyplace by 8 o'clock.

Capisch is on the hill, up from the ocean with a sweping view. You do get dramatic sunsets from there, but we ususally do the sunset with cocktails and then go to dinner. Everyone wants to book sunset, but I wonder how many of them actually enjoy it while being seated, ordering, etc.

Hula Grill and Kimos are fun and the food is OK. You don't really go there for the food--but the atmosphere is relaxed and they are both a great places to go when you are meeting people for lunch, cocktails, etc,
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 01:44 PM

I would recommend Lelani's (downstairs) over Hula Grill (it's basically next to it). We went there for lunch on our honeymoon last summer and it was excellent.

I also highly recommend Mama's! That was the best meal we had on the island (second would be Nick's Fish Market - we stayed at the Fairmont in Wailea). Definitely worth it and the sunset views were awesome. We got there when they opened in order to get a first row table.

Check out my travel website http://www.geocities.com/tomtammitravel/hawaii.html complete with a picture of an amazing dessert I had at Mama's.

Have fun!