Maui restaurants

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui restaurants

We are going to Kuaui and Maui on our honeymoon in October. Anyone have restaurant suggestions? I am open to all cuisines. However, would like to try local hawaiian food, seafood, pracific rim. Any romantic places with great views or on the beach? Thanks!
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Lots of great restaurants on the beach on Maui. Aloha Mixed Plate has the local cuisine you've mentioned, plus has a great view. This is a very casual place. Pacific O' has fabulous food and you can dine at the ocean's edge. Go b/f sunset and be treated to a glorious view of the sun going down on the horizon. Hula Grill is in Whaler's Village Shopping Center and is right on Kaanapali Beach. Good food, casual and good drinks.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Mama's Fish House
Leilani's
Cheeseburger in Paradise for fun
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 02:12 PM

One of my favorites on Maui is Sansei, but it's been a few years since I've been there. Usually I go to the one in Honolulu. Really good (not traditional) sushi. The regular entree dishes are really good too - usually I have a bit of sushi to start, followed by an entree.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:02 PM

You don't mention if you are staying in Kaanapali or Wailea but we had a very romantic sunset dinner at Nick's Fishmarket at the Kea Lani--beautiful patio dining, torchlighter, great view out to the water.

The Beach House in Kauai is always recommended for a wonderful sunset dinner. We have never been able to get ready in time to have a sunset dinner--but it's on our list.
Make reservations for a half hour before sunset.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:16 PM

On Maui, we enjoyed Hula Grill, Nick's Fishmarket, and Cheeseburgers in Paradise.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Roy's. Its in a strip mall. But you go inside and you never know! You should eat early on in the visit. You'll probably go back twice.

I like Scales at Hyatt.

The sushi bar is fabulous too.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 05:21 PM

I second the recommendations for Aloha Mixed Plate and Sansei. Aloha Mixed Plate had the best Lau Lau and Kalua Pork I've ever had. Sansei's sushi is simply fantastic. I'd also recommend the Honokowai Okazuya Deli. It's carry-out only, but you can have a picnic at nearby Kahekili Beach Park.

For a bit more formal dining experience with a romantic setting Humuhumunukunukuapa'a and Mama's Fish House were both phenomenal. Some of the best food I've had anywhere. And that's saying lot coming from a Chicago native.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 05:32 PM

Hi,
We were on Maui last August and enjoyed a great Japanese and sushi meal at Sansei in the Kapalua area. I recommend making reservations if you want a table. We were able to sit at the sushi bar and had great service. We sat next to a couple on their honeymoon.
You didn't mention the hotel you are staying at. Was disappointed w/ Westin Maui where we stayed. Just had breakfast and some appetizers/drinks there. Reservations were really booked for dinner-nice outdoor dining, but too busy in August.
Maui Revealed is a good book to pick up. It has tips on everything from the different beaches, activities and restuarants. It's also fun to check back here and see what experiences people have had.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 11:37 AM

You absolutely must go to Mama's
Fish House in Paia. My husband and I got married in Maui last September. We stayed on the island for 11 days and out of all of the restaraunts we visited this was by far the best! Hula Grill in Kaanapali was also very good, although they don't serve their famous Hula Pie there. You'll have to go across the walk to Leilani's. Our experience there was less than satisfactory (long wait, slow service and cold food). The night of our beach ceremony we went to Nick's Fish House in Wailea, also excellent food. Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 12:05 PM

The outdoor Italian restaurant at the Four Seasons in Wailea was the absolute best in terms of a romantic view--it's called Ferraro's. Check it out at http://www.fourseasons.com/maui/weddings/dining_73.html

We had the best table in the house (outdoors) and timed our reservation for a sunset experience--check with your conceirge regarding the timing. It's above the beach, but amazing in terms of the view and ocean setting. I don't know if it helps to have the conceirge book the table for you, we went that route and I think got a better seating than if we called ourselves. They had this awesome duo (violin and cello) called Apassionata that seriously seemed to be playing just for us. Ultimate in romance.

We also enjoyed Humu's at the Grand Wailea (already mentioned in a previous post) and got a private, romantic table by the water. Both are very different but excellent choices.

Congrats and have fun.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 02:34 PM

Here's a site that has a great dining section for Maui.

http://www.mauihawaii.org/
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Pacific O's - a little difficult to find but worth the trip. There are two restaurants (I can't remember the other one) together owned by the same person. Way at the end of Lahaina past the Banyon Tree park and school. Right on the water, great food with music.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:32 PM

Nancytwo, I believe the other restaurant is I'o's.