Planning NYC trip for Christmas

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning NYC trip for Christmas

I am planning a Christmas trip to NYC from 12/23 to 12/27. I would appreciate any tips and advice on where to go what to see, and where not to go and what not to see. I am planning to book a hotel in the Midtown-West area. Please offer suggestions about what to wear (how cold does it get), special Christmas events and "insider" tips to a novice traveler.
Many thanks,
Victor
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 12:11 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to NYC for the first time in July this year and we had a great time there for about a week. We stayed at Hotel Thirty Thirty not far from the Empire State Building and it was a pretty good location. I have posted a long trip report with a few pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there. Get in touch if you have any questions or comments

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 02:23 AM

Hi Victor. Have you checked out the Fodors destination guide for NYC here? Also, there are a number of previous threads on Christmas in NY if you do a search. Here's one that includes a "walk" to see some of the Christmas windows.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34523853

Here's a website with some of the events

http://www.newyorkled.com/moreNYseasonal_christmas.htm

It does tend to get cold so dress warmly, hat, gloves and scarf. If you plan to do shopping though, the stores can be warm.

There are 2 restaurants with views of the ice skating rink at Rockefeller Center, the Sea Grill and the Rock Center Cafe. Both have good food. The website for both is at restaurantassociates.com

Hope this gives you a good start.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:08 AM

It will be fairly cold in December but there is usually not too much snow. That said, a couple of Christmas ago we got about 12". So in addition to a good winter coat, hat, gloves and scarf I would reco some reliable boots. You're much more likely to get only a few inches than a lot - so you don;t need high waterproof boots - but you do need boots with some sort of non-slip sole - since icy sidewalks are quite likely (I go with nice leather ankle booties with ribbed rubber soles - unless it gets above 4/5" - then bring out the wellies).

Be sure to do at least some of the Christmas trees - most famous are at Rock Center and the Met (Neapolitan/Creche)- but there are tons of great ones around town.

Also, look out for some of the musical entertainments - its too early yet to know what all of them will be- but there are many free or inexpensive ones (esp in St John the Divine and other churches) around the holidays with lots of carols and trad music.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:56 AM

See the tree at Rockefeller Center. May even want to go ice skating at Rock. Center.
You may want to check out the Christmas show at Radio City, that's always fun.
Go to Fifth Avenue and look at the store windows. My favorites are usally Saks (49th St. and 5th) and Lord & Taylor (39th and 5th).
As to clothing, bring layers. It can really vary. Average temps are probably in the 30's, but if you're out all day you'll feel the cold. Bring a good heavy jacket, some sweaters, etc. Obviously hat, gloves, scarf. If you're doing a lot of walking, that will warm you up a bit, but be prepared.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:58 AM

Book NOW. This is a very busy season. I went last year and yes you need a varity of attire, can be brittle cold- no predictions. Best is to consider Rockerfeller Center tree viewing mid week- although still VERY crowded at night. Purchase any show ticktets NOW, and if interested in Radio City- purchase the best seats you can- within 20 rows orc. This is a necessary show to see the actors.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 06:09 AM

I agree with BudgetQueen and thought the same thing. Book NOW. Things are very busy this year. The weak dollar is attracting lots of European visitors.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 04:37 PM

I will be there about the same time you are, We are planning just a few shows, and shopping. I don't particualary like China Town, but if replica handbags and fresh fish float your boat, take a gander at it!