Xmas in NYC to soak up Christmas cheer!

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xmas in NYC to soak up Christmas cheer!

This is my first trip to NYC and my husband's second. We are travelling from Spain, stopping for 3 nights before heading for the West Indies. We could really do with some help at what to do in those few days, really only 2 full days, and some extra hours here and there! I think we are staying at the Four Seasons and it is the weekend before Christmas so we would really like to soak up that atmosphere.
Could anyone offer any advice on absolute must-see sites, restaurants, etc? I really want to make the most of my first short stay in the city.
Thanks!
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 03:32 AM

There are already a couple of threads on NYC at Christmas - I would search those.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 04:34 AM

A must see is the tree at Rockefeller Center, and it's not far from your hotel. If you like to ice skate, a little skating on the rink in Rockefeller Center is also fun. Also, while it will be crowded with shoppers, you should check out the windows of the stores on 5th Avenue (Saks, etc.), right near Rockefeller Center also. You should also go into FAO Schwartz (if it's still open by then, they're in serious financial trouble), it's still a fun store to check out. Since it's your first time here, you may want to go up to the top of the Empire State Building and and trip to the statue of liberty is fun.
As for restaurants, there are so many and it depends on your price range. Check out Zagat's guide or go to citysearch.com or chowhound.com.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 04:41 AM

Christmas is the most magical time in NYC! I'm so glad you'll be here then. The Four Seasons is excellent -- you won't be disappointed.

As almesq said, Rockefeller Center is near your hotel and is a must for the Christmas cheer. So is 5th Avenue, where there will be lights up and down the street and most of the stores will be decorated for the holidays. Don't miss the windows at Saks (directly across from Rockefeller Center) since they always do a big display. I also like the Christmas windows at Tiffany at 57th & 5th. St. Patrick's Cathedral will also have beautiful poinsettias and other decorations inside -- it's right next door to Saks. You might check out their schedule to see if they have any special programs for the holidays that interest you.

I also love seeing the Christmas tree at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It's on Madison and 82nd. It has a very special creche surrounding it that is really something to behold. If you go on Friday or Saturday evenings, they are open late and will have a quintet playing on the mezzanine and a bar -- it's a nice way to begin an evening.

Other than that, let us know what your interests are and what kind of restaurants/price ranges you want so we can be more specific.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 06:57 AM

Claire-

Go to this thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...=1&tid=1332632

It has a lot of good info on things to see in NY at Christmas time.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 07:50 AM

Lisa, I remember that thread! The remarkable thing about it is that two years later, I can think of nothing that I would add to it except to emphasize evening shopping in Greenwich Village. Last year it was better than ever.

Claire, if you choose to partake of this experience, have your cab drop you off on Bleecker Street at the Avenue of the Americas (here's a map: http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed...+NY&country=us), and just start walking west, looking for the stores both on Bleecker and off on side streets. It is great fun, very whimsical, and a wonderful way to spend an evening after dinner.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 07:15 AM

Hola Claire, no sabes la envidia que me dás ! Yo he estado dos veces por ninguna mi mujer, y preparamos el viaje para las navidades del año que viene. Tienes muchos mensajes en los que encontrarás toda la información requerida. Yo simplemente te aconsejo ir bien abrigada, pues como al frío que hará se junte el viento, la cosa es seria. Necesitaréis sitios en los que "descansar" un rato y coger calor. Uno cojonudo es el Trump Tower en la 5? avenida, aunque en general en las grandes tiendas se está calentito. Bueno no te aburro más, buen viaje y a disfrutar ! Jaime . Palma