Pittsburgh Hotels - Near Pitt University

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All, we have to be in Pittsburgh (near Pitt University) tomorrow and wondered if anyone had any ideas of hotels in this area. We have never been to Pittsburgh before and don't know a good area from a bad area. Thanks for your help
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 06:34 PM

You won't really find hotels in the University District to be in a bad area, just not a great area. Nothing to be frightened of, but nothing to write home about, either.

Try looking for Oakland and Shadyside. There is a newish hotel near UPMC Shadyside Hospital that is close enough to Pitt, and close to interesting shops and restaurants.

I wish I knew the names of the hotels but I hardly pay attention when driving by.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 06:39 PM

I just found a bunch on Hotel-Guides.US for University of Pittsburgh. If you need walking distance, the Wyndham is good,and the Residence and Courtyard by Marriott in Shadyside are both ok. I would prefer the latter but that depends on whether you want to walk.

Anyway the site was good and gave all the logical choices. If you want to ask about any of the streets in particular, I will try to answer.

Spent a lot of years on that campus...
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM

I stayed at the Holiday Inn right across from the Cathedral of Learning for $60/night via biddingfortravel. Location was central and room was clean. Area seemed pretty safe to me.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 06:59 PM

In reference to previous post, stay was about a week ago.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi Again, thanks for the replies so far One more question - is oakland an area or a street. Can't find anything that says Oakland Area. Sorry I am being a pest. I usually don't travel to a city with such little preparation.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 07:33 PM

You are not being a pest at all. Oakland is the area that contains the University of Pittsburgh, the University hospitals, Schenley Park, Phipps Conservatory, and at its eastern end, Carnegie Mellon University. Carlow University (I think they made the move from college to uni) is at the western edge of Oakland. It is a fairly large section of Pittsburgh, with Pitt smack in the middle.

If there is a Holiday Inn across from the Cathedral of Learning, that would be a great location. I didn't realize that any hotels were that close to the Cathedral.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Also in Oakland: Carnegie Museums of Science and Art.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you!! I will now look into hotels in that area. You are all the best.