Notices

Pittsburgh PA Hotels

Old Jan 8th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pittsburgh PA Hotels

Will be attending a graduation from Carnegie Mellon in May. We also want to spend some time visiting the city/area as we have not been there before.
I would appreciate hotel suggestions as well as other suggestions. We will have a car.
Thanks.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Amy

I did very well on Priceline for Pittsburgh, but, of course, it wasn't graduation season; that may make a difference. Our hotel--for $70 a night-- was the Omni William Penn, which is in a good location and has nice, good-size rooms (and beautiful public areas.) Here's a trip report to give you an idea of what we did: http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...sy-journey.cfm
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 10:33 AM

The Oakland neighborhood (where Pitt University is) is very convenient to CMU -- look for hotels with the ``University Place'' or ``University Center'' location. That is where most of the museums are located, too. Also there are a few hotels in Shadyside, whish is a nearby upscale residential area.

Downtown and Station Square are also convenient for getting around the Burgh.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 11:47 AM

Agree with Capxxx about looking for hotels in Oakland. That way you will be able to walk to campus and not have to rely on parking, which can be difficult in Oakland. Our daughter went to Pitt and I would make your hotel reservations now. (We waited too late to make reservations for her graduation last May and ended up pretty far from campus.)
We stayed in several different hotels in Oakland when we visited out daughter for the past 4 years. Our favorite was the Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center. It is a few blocks from the Pitt and CMU campuses, but easily walkable. It's in a quiet neighborhood which we enjoyed and offered a nice indoor pool and spa as well as a hot buffet breakfast in the morning and a light dinner during the weekdays. The rooms also have full kitchens if you are so inclined to prepare meals.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - just checked these suggestions and Residence Inn lists only non-refundable rates and Omni Wm Penn is sold out! Since each of us has had a medical condition requiring us to cancel two vacations in the past two years, I do not want to lock in at this date.
I will keep looking and book something refundable, and then keep looking as well.