Hotels in suburban Richmond Virginia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any general comments or anything especially negative or positive to say about any of these 3 hotels or areas?

Sheraton Park South (Midlothian turnpike)
Courtyard by Marriott Richmond West
Wyndham Richmond airport

I'm looking for a 3* chain hotel in suburban Richmond and these are the only 3 (in very different areas, I know) that come up as reasonably priced for the dates I need (Priceline, while great, just won't work for me this time)
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 06:38 AM

I haven't stayed at any of those hotels, but the areas are all decent. Although a lot depends on what you plan to do while you're there. I wouldn't recommend staying on the southside unless I had business or friends in the area because it's relatively far from the airport, downtown, and Richmond sights.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:35 AM

I am familair with all the hotels you listed..

The SHeraton Park South is the BEST location as it is in an Office park and is a safe location...

THe Courtyard by Marriott is in a fairly good but NOT great area of Broad St....

The Wyndham at the airport is nice BUT the location is NOT good..In fact, unless I were staying over nite and flying out of town the next morning, I would NEVER stay there..as the Laburnum area is crime ridden , to say the least...

So go for the Sheraton..

BY the way, WHAT are of Richmond do you need to be in, as you are all over the place with your hotel selections..
Perhaps if you post, I could add other hotels for you to try...

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Need to see a few customers that are in different areas (don't have addresses yet) so I figured since I have to drive a bit anyway, I don't really care which location IF they were all equal.
Thanks for all the input. I think The Sheraton was actually the least expensive, surprisingly
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:07 AM

I've not stayed in the Sheraton, but have attended conferences there and have been underwhelmed - each time it smelled a bit off, and looked a little worn for wear. Southside is also a haul from other parts of the area (downtown, west end and airport).

The Wyndham itself is nice, and I think you'd be perfectly safe there, but it's not the best area of town - not that I think you'd be unsafe, but I wouldn't eat at any of the restaurants around there, and otherwise hang out.

Courtyard - is this the one in around the 10,000 block of Broad? If so, this is a good area, very close to a large office park in the West End and lots of shops and restaurants. I'd opt to stay in the West End somewhere, because it's easily off and on the hightway if you moving in different parts of the metro area. There's also a nice ComfortSuites and Homewood Suites in that area, as well as a newer Holiday Inn Express.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 04:53 PM

I actually live in Richmond about 1/4 mile from the Courtyard. The benefits to the Courtyard is the easy access to the interstate (64 & 95) as well as the central location in between West End & Downtown Richmond. There is also a Holiday Inn across the street from the Courtyard that usually has specials between $59-$89/night.

The downside to the Courtyard are the nearby restuarants. There is not much but chains. However, for the best BBQ in Richmond go to Extra Billy's [NOT BILL's] another mile or so east on Broad Street. Also, around that is Mekong whci is very reasonable, very delicious Vietnamese. Good luck!
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 06:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
We stayed at the Courtyard on Broad out near Short Pump. It was the worst Courtyard I've been in. Uncomfortable bed and a very loud a/c unit.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 05:23 AM

Unless you are doing a ton of business in the West End, the Sheraton is your best bet...

The Sheraton, even tho it IS on the Southside, has easy access to the PO WHITE Expressway , which goes right into I 195, or Chippenham Pky, or easy access to I 95 and I 64....
Restaurants close by at a great Indian Rest, Friday, Chilis,Carraba Italian--tons of chain restaurant PLUS fast food are ALL along Midlothian Turnpike...and you are 2 exits on Chippenham ,heading North, from the STONY POINT Fashion Center which has a PF CHANGS, Flemings Steak House, Brio Tuscan Grill, and Champps Bar and Grill ( this outdoor high end shopping ctr ,with Saks, has
some GREAT dining!

Avoid the airport location at all costs
as the restaurants around there are NIL...

IF I had my druthers, I would try for the HOMEWOOD SUITES on West Broad as it is a NEW hotel and offers free continental bkfst in the am...

As said before, the Marriott Courtyard is not a good choice--even tho there are a lot of restaurants on Broad St...

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 09:51 AM

The Sharaton Park South is a good location but it is a dump. My cousin stayed there a few months ago and checked out after one night. Tripadvisor has three reviews, all terrible. It has a very run-down feel. I think it was built

The Courtyard Richmond West is at Broad & Horsepen. It isn't at all dangerous, but not particularly good either.

The Courtyard referred to by Dreamer is the Courtyard Richmond Northwest and it is indeed very nice and in an excellent area.

I do agree with Andy that the airport area is not very appealing. It isn't really high crime, but it isn't at all pleasing.

I'd vastly prefer the Hampton Inn in the same general area of the Sheraton for a Southside location. I'd probably even prefer the Holiday Inn Express. You might also consider the Hilton Garden Inn in the Innsbrook area. It is quite new and very nice.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 10:30 AM

You can also try the Holiday Inn Koger Center off Midlothian ,next to Johnston-Willis Hospital...

MY hubs goes to conventions there and the rooms are nice and clean...
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Another hotel that you can't go wrong at that is in the exact same area as the Courtyard is the Embassy Suites. Who can pass up free happy hour and made to order breakfast? That would always be one of my top hotel choices!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for some additional options.

The Embassy suites is showing lowest rates of $135

jstutz99: Is the Holiday Inn you refer to the one at 2000 Staples Mill Road
RICHMOND, VA 23230? That's coming up at a manageable $69

The Embassy suites is showing lowest rates of $135

Any other options at less than $100 for a mid week weeknight?
Any local promotions that I might not see on the hotel websites?

Thanks again.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 04:33 PM

That was not the Holiday Inn that I referring to, but it is only about another 1-2 miles or so east on Broad Street, so the location is equally convenient. Bit of an older hotel, but if price is the key factor, it should be fine.

The Holiday Inn I was refering to is on ~6000 block of Broad.

If price is key, why not use Priceline? Select "Innsbrook" and "Richmond's West End" for the nicest and most centeal areas. Downtown is too risky for Priceline -- there are some crappy hotels that you could get stuck with.

A few years back when my large family visited in my pre-house days, I would use Priceline and usually got good hotels for between $35-$45. Usually the Amerisuites in Innsbrook which comes with a decent free continental+ breakfast in the mroning. In fact, you may want to get a quote on Amerisuites anyways.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 04:38 PM
GoTravel

nyer, over the years I have frequently traveled to Richmond for work.

Every time except for one time I stayed at The Omni downtown, I stayed at the Commonwealth Park Suites across from the Governers Mansion downtown. I loved staying in this area. I was very close to the Fan District, Little Five Points, Shockoe Bottom, and the Shockoe Slip.

It is a gorgeous old hotel with very reasonable rates. I could park my car and walk down the Shockoe Bottom/Slip and eat.

That part of Richmond is so charming, I cannot imagine staying in the "Burbs".

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 05:35 PM

Holiday Inn =Staples Mill Rd is a DIVE--as in major dive...

GO with the one Further OUT WEST BROAD....

Have you Tried the AMERISUITES at Innsbruck ( out in the West Broad area)...NEW hotel and incl. continental bkfst...???
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional input.

Priceline will probably not be an option as my travel dates have changed twice already. I would need to book something cancelable, but perhaps try Priceline at the last minute once I'm sure of the date. Also, I was unsure of the zones I should be looking at. I'm pretty sure that downtown is not my best choice for this business trip, but it's still useful to know about downtown options in case that changes.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Just topping.
Due to some weird posting glitch, I was able to add a new post earlier today, yet it's "filed" as if the last post was last night