Picholine, Momofuku questions New York

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have some specific restaurant questions now that I've made reservations for my 10/3 trip that you all have helped me with:

First, I'm planning on Cafe Sabarsky for lunch on a Sunday (thank you Thin)- their web site says no reservations. How long will we have to wait?

Sunday night is a 7pm reservation at Picholine, using Neopatrick's tip for the $50 giftcard that they sent me. Does my dad need a jacket here? Also, we have a 10pm reservation at Top of the Rock that same night- is that enough time to finish dinner and cab it over by 10pm?

Monday lunch we're going to try Momofuku Noodle Bar- no reservations so how long do I have to wait in line to get in?

Monday night is Aqua Grill 7pm in Soho. Our hotel is the Warwick in Midtown. Is it safe to take the subway back to the hotel after dinner (at night)or do we need to take a cab?
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM

The earlier you get to Cafe Sabarsky, the less time you'll have to wait has been my experience.

I don't think you need a jacket at Picholine on a Sun. night but by Oct. it will be cool. Why wouldn't he wear one? You can walk to TOTR from there but a cab is ok too.

Subway is perfectly safe at night.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 06:59 PM

I went to Cafe Sabarsky on a Wednesday, a day the museum is closed, so there was no wait. I can't see there being much of a line on a Sunday around noon.

For Aqua Grill, I HIGHLY recommend the salmon in falafel crust. It is AMAZING. Dear Sister loved it and she goes to all the top restaurants because her best friend is the editor of one of America's premier food mags.

Also, for Aqua Grill it is so easy to hail a cab right outside on 6th Ave going up town. It will probably cost you 6 bucks.

Picholine is my ex-husband's favourite restaurant in NYC. The cheese is the BEST!!!!

I have seen men in jackets at Picholine take them off and put them on the back of the chair. I don't think Dear Father needs a jacket.

Thin
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM

The weather is such in NY in October that your husband will want a jacket, at least. It is better to have one at a place like Picholene. Downtown is different, more laid back. But Picholene has a quite dressy clientele. Better to have one, than be uncomfortable. As has been said, your husband can put it over the chair. My husband almost always wears a jacket. No big deal.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your answers. Sounds like Dad will take a jacket. Will go for the salmon at Aqua Grill. Any recommendations for food choices at Picholine? Also, nothing from anyone on Momofuku? Anyone know if you have to wait long there for lunch? They don't take reservations. I'm not really a fan of ramen but Dad saw David Chang on Charlie Rose so of course he wants to go there now.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 03:24 AM

Hi Brube - I can try to answer your question about Momofuku. I used to live about 3 blocks from there so have frequently had lunch and dinner. If you show up right at noon there probably won't be much of any wait. If there is, they will take your name down and your mobile number and they will call you once your table is open. I've never had to wait more than 30 minutes, but I tend to avoid going there on the weekend. There is more on the menu than ramen! If they have the rock shrimp special, definitely get it. David Chang also does amazing things with pork belly. The Pork buns are always on the menu and they are absoltely divine! Be advised that the seating is at a counter on high stools. They will put your party together, but you will be sharing your a counter iwth other people.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 04:46 AM
mp

yes, i agree with lizzie - Monday lunch at Momofuku you will probably not have to wait, particularly if you go close to noon - it can get crowded closer to 1 or so . . . the menu is small, the noodles are good, but the steamed buns and the different small daily specials are very good. I think people don't spend a very long time eating at Momofuku for 3 reasons - the kitchen is very quick, the food is delicious and people eat fast, and the stools and counter are so uncomfortable, no one wants to sit for long!

Depending on your father's mobility, the E train Spring Street stop is right across the street from Aquagrill - it's an easy ride up to your hotel, getting off at the 5th Avenue and 53rd Street stop. A cab up 6th will be relatively simple, too, but I think will cost closer to $10 to $12.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the Momofuku help- we'll try to go close to noon Monday. Maybe we'll try that Rock shrimp.