Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York City - Husband does not want to dress up everytime we have dinner...need good food where my husband can dress down?

Search

New York City - Husband does not want to dress up everytime we have dinner...need good food where my husband can dress down?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after all the planning, my husband decides he does not want to have to wear a jacket every time we have dinner. Any place to have good food, nice ambience and good service where we my husband can dress down a bit?
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:39 AM

There are probably 1000 places in Manhattan where you can dress down & dine.

What kind of food, what neighborhood & what budget you prefer would help us narrow it down and make some great suggestions.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for being vague...we are indifferent on tyoes of food. Right now we have reservations at Balthazar, River Cafe, Norma's and Four Seasons. We are still thinking of adding Cafe Boulud and Eleven Madison Park. We are staying at the Sofitel. Does this help?
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:44 AM

very few restaurants (including many of the finest) require jackets.

The same is tru for theater and other night life. NYC is basically a casual place.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:46 AM

You could wear jeans to Balthazar. I haven't eaten at any of the others.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

I think we can wear jeans at both Norma's and Balthazar (we are going for brunch at each one). He doesn't mind dressing up for a couple of dinner's just not all of them.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:58 AM

You know - there are things brtween suits and jeans. Doesn't he own any khakis or cords? How about a nice cashmere sweater with them - instead of whatever he's planning on?

Assuming you;re adults I would go for the middle ground - unless there's a foot of snow on the ground. like today.

And please tell me he has actual shoes - not sneakers.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Ha Ha...nytraveler...yes I just checked my husband's birth certificate and on paper he is an adult. It just seems to him most of the restaurants I have chosen...Gramercy Tavern, Eleven Madison Park (those sorts) seem to require you to dress up. My husband is very English and usually has no problem being a snappy dresser (just this morning he was walking around the house wearing a smoking jacket and cravat). Anyway, he just wants to be casual for our trip, but still eat at nice places. Khakis and cords don't seem appropriate for the really nice eateries.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:07 AM

I'm not sure you're ever going to get anywhere here if your idea of a "snappy dresser" is a man in smoking jacket and cravat.
But all the places you've mentioned he will be fine in a nice dressy pair of slacks and a nice long sleeve dress shirt. I know a couple years ago even The Four Seasons dropped their jacket requirement for dinner, keeping the rule for lunch. There was some controversy about that, so that is the one place I'd check on to make sure jacket is not required.
If he really wants to cause a sensation at any of them, I suggest he take along his smoking jacket and cravat. That'll turn some heads.

Of course in cooler weather he may actually want to wear a blazer or sport jacket -- but with a mock turtle neck or even a nice T-shirt, that is just fine -- forget the ties.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:08 AM

hmmm, I'm not sure I meant long sleeve dress shirt above. I was thinking "dressy long sleeve sport shirt".
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Hey there,

If you want to skip 11 Madison Park (not that you should, it's quite nice) and you like Indian flavors, try it's cousin next door: Tabla -- the setting is beautiful -- upstairs and overlooking the park.. wonderful food, and more relaxed ambience.

Enjoy -- all your choices are making me hungry.

(Also for what its worth, my vote if you do want to dress up, is for Chanterelle -- very worth the trip downtown.