Reload this Page >

New York City: one weekend in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:50 AM
MaureenB

Arriving late Friday night, leaving early Monday morning. We are staying at the Embassy Suites downtown, for its room size and amenities. I hope it won't feel too far from things. I believe there's a subway station very close by, and we'll use taxis when needed. Mostly we plan on walking as much as we can.

We are interested in paying our respects at Ground Zero, and seeing old New York; investigating SoHo, Tribeca, Greenwich, NYU, Fordham undergraduate campus.

We'll see some of the major tourist sites, also. Time is tight, so we'll need to be selective. (Family of four-- including a 21 year old and 18 year old.) Two of us have spent some time in NYC, the other two haven't ever been there. I don't think we'll do a play or a show. We might consider the Circle Line tour, but maybe only if it's bad weather.

Questions:
Weather to expect in mid-October?
Any insider tips on seeing the sights? (best times to visit, things to avoid, places that are over-rated, etc.)
Nice mid-priced restaurants.

Thanks!

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ocober is a great time to visit NYC weatherwise. Thre could still be a freakish summery day, but more likely it will be jacket or sweater weather.

You group might enjoy the East Village for its great variety of dining at very reasonable prices and quirkier shopping.

I would not do a Circle Line tour if it's bad weather--limited visibility from the boat.

While you don't mention it, for a great view of NYC, skip the Empire State Building and go to the Top of the Rock. I did this last week for the first time with a visitor. It was Labor Day and there was no line. I liked it because you get a great view of the ESB as well as Central Park.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 12:20 PM
MaureenB

Ellenem, thank you. I've heard that downtown can be the best area for twenty-somethings because it's younger in style. Is that true? Your recommendation for East Village sounds good, too. Isn't NYU in that general area? Maybe we should stop by Carrie's stoop, just for the heck of it! Anyone know what address that is?

We could do Saturday in lower NYC, East Village, and NYU, no? Then Sunday to see Fifth Avenue sights, St. Patrick's, Central Park. Is Rockefeller Center open Sunday, for Top of the Rock? (I doubt if anything closes in NYC anytime).

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:11 AM

It would be great for you to end up in the East Vilalge in late afternoon/early evening. That would give you time to explore and then have dinner.

Yes, NYU is all over the Village, even into the East Village where it has a few large dorms and therefore a student presence. Definitely a younger style in the area--not big chain stores or restaurants but smaller boutiques and tons of different restaurants. Second Avenue has lots of restaurants, but most of the intesresting shops and many smaller restaurants are located on the side streets. Also lots going on at Avenue A along Tompkins Square Park.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:59 AM
MaureenB

Thanks so much, Ellenem. That's exactly the New York experience we want. At least for one afternoon and night, we'll explore the Village, NYU and neighborhoods near it. In the morning, I think we'll leave our hotel after breakfast and pay our respects to Ground Zero (maybe walk through Wall Street-- worth it?), then head out. Are SoHo and Tribeca walkable from the Embassy Suites?

Any favorite restaurants to recommend? We like just about any type of good food-- mostly fish, but one family member needs beef or Italian. We know New York will be expensive, but we prefer the neighborhood gems, not the flash-in-the-pan ones that attract the wannabes.

Thanks again. (Anyone know where Carrie's stoop is?)

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:33 AM

"Walkable" is a relative term. I walk from the East Village to the Embassy suties area all the time, but I am a New Yorker and am used to walking. You could definitely make an interesting walking day of it. It will be Saturday on Wall St, so it will be pretty quiet. You could work your way uptown on the west side through Tribeca and Soho, arriving in the West Village and then work your way east.

If you veered east from Tribeca, you'd pass through Chinatown, Little Italy, and a new trendy area (don't quite know what they're calling it--North Italy? East Soho?) along Mott and Elizabeth just below Houston and then on to the East Village.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:38 AM

That trendy area is Nolita (north of little Italy)

The stoop that they used for Carrie's stoop is at 66 Perry Street, between Bleeker and West 4th st. in the village. In the show she mentions her address as being on the upper eastside, but the stoop they used for the photos is in the village. Magnolia Bakery is also nearby.

I'd suggest you try to take some type of boat ride if the weather's ok. Perhaps even use the NYwatertaxi.com hop on/off service if you're coming before Oct. 15 (when they end for the winter).

Don't miss walking the Brooklyn Bridge. Either take the water taxi over to Fulton St. or a subway and then walk back toward Manhattan for great views. Pete's Downtown is an Italian restaurant in Brooklyn with good views of the bridge. It's near the River Cafe but a lot cheaper.

Tribeca is an easy walk from your hotel. Soho will be further. Have you looked at a map? Here's a subway map
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Top of the Rock is open on Sun. but if you're interested in seeing any of the fancier shops on Fifth ave. when they're open, do that on Sat. and do downtown on Sun.

Take the Staten Island ferry (free) to see the Statue of Liberty.

The South Street Seaport has a TKTS booth if you're interested in trying to get tickets to a show. Not that far from your hotel. There's also shopping at the seaport that teens like (Abercrombie).

The Flea is a very good experimental theater in Tribeca. Depending on when in Oct. you're coming, there'll be a new play by AR Gurney starting on the 18th.
http://www.theflea.org/whatson/postmortem.html
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:38 AM
MaureenB

Thanks again, Ellenem. We're walkers, so your suggested path sounds good. Thanks!

Is the Embassy Suites area a safe part of town? Our daughter will be arriving first, by herself.

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:23 AM

Perfectly safe--this is becaoming a family neighborhood. Just use the usual caution as in any unfamiliar place.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:39 AM
MaureenB

Thanks, too, Mclaurie. Great suggestions. We must have been posting at the same time.

We aren't shoppers, so maybe going to 5th Avenue when the stores are closed on Sunday, for window-shopping, would be a good plan. We feel we can shop at home-- no point in being inside a store instead of out seeing the city.

We are excited to re-visit New York. It's been many years since I had work there.

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:41 AM

That area is totaly safe. My favorite neighborhood restaurants in the area include Ecco, great Italian in an old-New-York-saloon atmosphere on Chambers Street, near the subway station, and Roc, on Duane Street, also Italian in a typical Tribeca space. You can also try Blaue Gans for Austrian food. Look at menupages for an idea of prices. Note that Ecco has a long list of daily specials that will not be on menupages. Another place nearby is Landmarc on West Broadway for excellent bistro specialties and wines by the bottle and half-bottle only at low markup. If you want Asian food, Nam is a good moderately priced choice on Reade Street neat your hotel. All of these places are patronized mainly by local people..none are trendy and all are good value, though not inexpensive.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Nolita! Duh . . . brainless moment
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 06:09 AM
MaureenB

Thanks, ekscrunchy, those are the type of restaurants we'd like. I'll print out this thread and take it with us.
Anyone else have suggestions?

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 07:00 AM
DRJ

When I visit the city a couple of times a year I stay nowhere but at Embassy Suites. Free cocktails from 5 to 7 and a huge gratis breakfast.

I'd think about a dinner at Otto, a Batali enterprise at the foot of Fifth Ave. at Eighth Street. Laid back and not a wallet smasher.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 07:06 AM
MaureenB

Thanks, DRJ. You're right about the Embassy Suites' complimentary breakfast and cocktail hour. When you're paying NYC prices, it helps to get some free food and drinks! I doubt if we'll be around for the evening hour, but we'll enjoy the breakfast. It's the key reason we chose the ES, along with having a suite.

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 10:00 AM

If you go to the South Street Seaport you could swing down Stone St. It's a small cobblestone St. that is more lively during the week after work, but there is a great Patisserie and good restaurants there. The atmosphere is somewhat European.

The Patisserie:
http://nymag.com/listings/stores/financier-patisserie/

A Scandanavian Restaurant that I tried recently:
http://www.smorgaschef.com/

A GREAT pizza place:
http://travel2.nytimes.com/top/featu...=1118393389927

And if you walk over the Brooklyn Bridge check out the BEST pizza place (and I am a pizza snob)
Grimaldi's
http://www.grimaldis.com/

and acroos the way from them with a great view of manhattan is yummy icecream at:
http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/12037820

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 10:01 AM

I messed the post up, sorry! I should have used tinyurl.com!
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 07:55 AM
MaureenB

ttt
>-

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Just joined this list because I am going to be going to NYC on 10/19 for 4 days and staying at the Embassy Suites, also.
This has been a very helpful thread.

I was given the name of a couple of restaurants from someone who lives in NYC. If you have been to any of them, what are your impressions? Crispo, Schiller's Liquor Bar and The Harrison.

Also, we have matinee tickets for Avenue Q on Sunday, would we be have time to take in some sights in Central Park before or after the show or is it too far away to walk from Broadway?

Thanks!