New York for the first time. Omni Berkshire, Broadway etc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im heading to New York this Summer for my first time - on the 13th of July to the 22nd and have many questions and worries about it. I booked my flights and just last week I booked the Omni Berkshire Place Hotel as the reviews seemed to be good and the location seems prime. Does anyone have any feedback on this place? It would be greatly appreciated. Im naive and unsure if summer is truly a terrible time to visit?

Also im i the process of deciding what to do about booking a Broadway show? Im a major fan of musicals and I really want to see Dan Radcliffe in 'How to Succeed in Business without really Trying' maybe on the 21st but i am afraid he wont be on that night due to the Harry Potter Premiere etc.
Also should i just book now for three of us @ prices like 171USD or should i wait till the days i arrive at TCKT booth. Is that really a risk? I was thinking maybe i should book one musical and then maybe be able to get another while im over there.
I repeat im from Ireland and extremely naive about all things NY. Thanks for your help anyone =) Tips are appreciated
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:00 AM

The TKTS booth is time consuming and you never know what will be available. For advance purchase discounts, check Broadwaybox.com.

That hotel is in a good location. The nice part about being in NYC in the summer is weekends tend to be more peaceful than usual because many of the 'locals' leave town. Touristy areas like Times Square are always hectic but if you wander to other neighborhoods (Greenwich Village, Upper West Side, etc), which you should, it's noticeably quieter (in a good way) and restaurants tend not to be as busy during the weekends, as they are during the rest of the year.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for this site, I was just booking on the official website but these prices are more competitive. I think i will definitely book one show and maybe head to the other smaller TKTS booth early one morning to see if i could get another. Or is it still a waste of time?
Do you, or anyone else have any suggest as to what I should see. I dont want to see any of the shows that are in the West End as I have been to most of them, and the ones I haven't, I will be seeing later this summer xD

Also can I ask, is it worth my while getting the bus to Jersey Gardens for a whole day? Or would I be better off staying in the city to shop? I have heard so much about Saks and it is near my hotel, but is it really all its cracked up to be?

Finally would it be a good idea to rent a bike in Central Park on a Sunday morn as I am heading on this trip with two very keen cyclists. Thank you again. I really do appreciate this
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:31 AM

For theater ideas, check this thread: http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...pring-2011.cfm.

Forget Jersey Gardens. There's plenty to do in NYC including shopping. Saks is a high end department store and certainly not discounted. There is some good discount shopping in NYC as well if that is something you're interested in. There are also street fairs just about every weekend at multiple locations during the summer. Just google NYC streetfairs and several calendars will come up.

In addition to the usual museums and sights, take a stroll on the high line, wander around some of the different neighborhoods (also eat and shop while there), take a free ride on and Staten Island Ferry, cross the Brooklyn Bridge,...just to name a few ideas.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:33 AM

Oh, and check out the Union Square farmer's market, preferable on Saturday (also Monday, Wednesday and Friday).
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:56 AM

Bikes in Central Park have to stay on bike paths and roads so you don't get to see as much on bike as you would on foot. That said, it's not a waste of time by any means. There are also bike tours both inside the park and in other areas if your cyclist friends are keen to do that. http://gonyc.about.com/od/biketoursa..._York_City.htm

I know nothing about the Harry Potter movie but I sure wouldn't take a chance of booking How to Succeed for the same night as a movie opening, esp. since you're here for several nights. Def. get discount tickets using broadwaybox.com or playbill.com (register for free) discounts. You can buy 1 show in advance and just bring printed offers of any of the others you're interested in seeing and take them with you and bring directly to box office for discounts and save on transaction fees. No need to waste time in the TKTS lines.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 12:27 PM

It's too early to find discount tickets for July. Those offers won't appear until mid to late May at the earliest.
Meanwhile, if you want to pay full price right now for How to Succeed in Business, you can do much better than $171 a ticket by going directly to telecharge.com or calling them at 212-239-6200. I'm not sure, however, if you can get the tickets if you are ordering from England.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

I will definitely head to the farmers market as i'm a fan of those here at home. Thank you

Oh thats unfortunate about only staying on the bike paths but I suppose order is important in a city. We will probably stick with our feet then as we would love to stroll in and out of the Shakespeare in the park plays!

Does anyone know anything about the New York Pass? And this Gossip Girl tour that my friend wants to go on? Shes very keen but im not gone on the idea.
Also I intend to travel up both the 'Top of the Rock' and the Empire State. What times do you recommend for both these trips. I was thinking one at dusk, or maybe night time, and the other early morning? Is this unrealistic?

Yes, one of the many reasons were going to NY is for the discount shopping! Any tips? Thank you informed travelers =)
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 12:44 PM

The summer can be oppressive in NYC.

You should go to the Top OF the Rock and skip the Empire State Building. Empire State has long lines and the only view you will miss from the Top of the Rock is the view of that building.

What age are you and what are looking for in discount shopping? There is a whole world to choose from.

Here is the site for Shakespeare In the Park. Get tickets early, it is extremely popular.

http://shakespeareinthepark.org/the-plays/
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you, I didnt know i had to buy tickets for Shakespeare in the Park. Shows you how much i know!!!

Im 21, and my friends are both 22. We love young edgy style but nice suit etc for work =)
Thank you all for your advice, its really helped

Finally, does anyone know is it a good idea to go to Coney Island for a day. A friend recommended it, said it was a must?
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 01:38 PM

For discount shopping: in Union Square area (across from Farmer's Market), there's DSW (shoes), Filene's and Nordstrom's Rack. Nearby there's TJ Maxx, Marshall's and Loehman's. In various locations all over town is Daffy's. Downtown by world trade center sight is Century 21 (this is probably the best overall but could be a bit of a zoo). I wouldn't bother with Chinatown (knock-off central). There's also ton's of chain stores along Broadway running from 14th St. down through Soho (H&M, Desigual, UniGlo, Armani Exchange, etc). There are small boutiques of local designers (not discount) in the E. Village, Nolita (north of little italy), and lower east side area.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 06:46 PM

Coming from Ireland you will find NYC in the summer very hot and humid. Specifics vary but we have 1 or 2 days of 100 degrees almost every summer - and a week of days over 90 is common (although that is higher than average). If you get that kind of weather you need to intersperse i indoor and outdoor activities, don;t walk everywhere (which is usually one of the joys of New ork) and be sure to stay well hydrated (carry a water bottle at all times).

For shows if there is something that is a must see buy tickets now. If you go to broadwaybox.com 2 to 3 months in advance it will list the shows with discounts and you can buy discounted tickets in advance (getting better seats and not wasting time standing on line at TKTS in the relentless heat.

To get tickets to Shakespeare in the Park you need to line up for tickets very early in the am (as in 6 am) and wait until the box office opens. (Some of my neighbors hire a college kid to stand on line for them and get tickets.)

Also - do NOT buy tickets to the large open-topped tour buses. You will spend most of your time sitting in traffic and since you need to be on top to see anything it will be hot as hell. If you really want a tour look into walking tours or the smaller van tours that have limited itineraries.

If you want to see Statue of Liberty you should get tickets now - since it sells out months in advance. Earlier in the day is better since the later in the day the longer the security (airline type to get n the ferry) get. To see both the Statue and the Ellis Island Immigration Museum (brilliant) plus the various ferries you should allow about 6 hours.

And if this all sounds complicated you need to understand that NYC has about 9 million people - but the greater metro area (all of which have kids on summer vacation) is more than 20 million. Plus we are on track to get 50 million visitors per year by 2012.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 07:11 PM

For a short visit I would skip Coney Island. There are some cheesy rides and a boardwalk with some carnival games. If you like honky tonk and decide to go and be sure to visit the Coney Island Feak Show and get a hot dog and french fries at Nathan's.

The East Village from Avenue A to Second Ave. from 11 Street to 7th Street is filled with designer/owner boutiques and the best restaurant values in Manhattan.