Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to do in New York City with my little sister for her 21st Birthday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Michelle

I really need some help. My little sister's only wish for her 21st birthday is to spend the weekend shopping, nightclubing, and sightseeing in NYC. I've never been to the city but have researched the hotels, clubs, shopping, attractions and restaurants extensively. We have a general idea of what our plans are, but none of them seem "awesome". Does anyone have any suggestions on hotel, clubs, shopping, dining out, or attractions that would really be special? Thanks so much.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:56 AM
ny

It would be easier to offer suggestions if you write a little more about your interests. What are the places you've picked so far? What kind of shopping do you want to do? What kind of restaurants do you like and what's your price range?

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:07 AM
gc

If you have never been to NYC, you've never been to Broadway. Lion King or The Producers will be memorable.

Dinner at Foley,s in Times Square, Merlot across from the Lincoln Center, or some funky place in the Village.

Ride the Beast around the Statue of Liberty.

So much to do, so little time.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Theresa

Go see the Full Monty. I just had a girls trip there for my 40th. It was fun.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Statia

We just took a nineteen year old graduate to NYC for a special girls only trip and had a blast. Some of the things she especially enjoyed, were:

-Going to the top of the Empire State Building (best on a weeknight before 11 p.m. when the lines are shorter).

-"Rent" on Broadway....she was in awe of the modern music and dancing, and is still talking about it.

-Shopping in Greenwich Village, Soho, Little Italy and Chintatown.

-Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge in the evening and enjoying the view of lower Manhattan from the pier in Brooklyn.

-Shopping at Macy's.

-Times Square at night.

-Dinner at Roxy and Carmine's.

-Drinks at the View Lounge atop the Marriot Marquis Hotel in Times Square.

-Central Park on Saturday. So much culture to see. Don't forget a ride on the carousel.

-Lunch at Serendipity (as in the movie), followed by a huge dessert.

Hope you two have as much fun as we did. Enjoy NYC, it's a fabulous place!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Yev

There are plenty of things to do in NYC. I lived there for 8 years and I still havent done it all. Anyways, I think the best shows are off-broadway, they are usually quit eintresting and funny, I wouldnt recommend a particular one because theya re all good. And go to the squares, Times, Herald. Union, theres always stuff around there.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Michelle

Thanks for the responses. We've already decided to go to a Broadway Show, and the suggestions are great! Our price ranges could go up to expensive since we are kind of "splurging". More modern than high-brow would be best suited for our group, but definately trendy and original. (The best we can do where we live is Cheesecake Factory, Ruth Chris, etc.) Shopping tastes are definately on the funky, alternative, modern edge, although we are hitting some of the designer stores as well. I hope that helps. Thanks for all the great suggestions. Please keep them coming!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:40 AM
nygal

Soho and just east of Soho are funkier, younger areas. So is the East Village. Check out Time Out NY (magazine/website). Soho will have the more expensive stores and restaurants, though EV is becoming more and more gentrified as time goes by.

The Tribeca area has plenty of trendier, more upscale restaurants too.

Two Boots pizza is a great place to stop for a slice, go to the one just above Houston St. Low key and inexpensive, but funky and good.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:41 AM
xxx

Check out these sites for bars and restaurants: www.citysearch.com; www.timeout.com; www.sheckys.com

Definitely go to the village for some trendy, funky shopping.

Have a great time!!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:42 AM
xxx

My suggestions would be to see Cabaret at Studio 54 (John Stamos is in it right now) or De La Guarda.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Harriett

My 21-yr-old daughter and I were in NYC in May for her first visit there. In addition to shopping 5th Avenue and seeing "Phantom" - her #1 choice of plays -- we went to a great cabaret called 'Don't Tell Mama,' where all the waiters, bartenders etc. are the entertainment -- and they're wonderful! We really had a great time there; we also did a literary pub tour of Greenwich Village on Saturday afternoon which was fun and gave us an introduction to an area where we might not have spent as much time otherwise. I don't have the exact address for 'Don't Tell Mama,' but it's in the Theatre District, maybe on 42nd?

Ruby Foo's is a fun place to eat . . . Have a great time!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Ted

Without a doubt be sure to walk St. Mark's Place (East 8th). It's truly a over-the-top freak show, with zillions of great shops, bars, restaurants, etc. The people watching alone is worth the visit.

Also, I'd suggest visiting an authentic German beer hall called ZUM SCHNEIDER on Avenue C at 7th Street. It's incredible and the beer is the best in NYC.

Oh, to be 21 again!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:04 AM
xxx

You must go shopping at Bloomingdales, Century 21 (for true designer bargains and to help the WTC area), and Sephora.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Susan

The possibilities are endless...a day of shopping followed by a Broadway show followed by a special dinner followed by a late night of clubbing might be a really exciting way to celebrate a 21st bday. Where are you staying? I'm in NYC a great deal on business, and the concierge at my hotel always helps me secure great tickets (last minute!) to shows, and reservations at some the of the most fun and fabulous (and sought after) restaurants. Specifically, shopping at Bloomingdale's (!!!), shopping in SoHo, tix to see one of the hot Broadway shows (i.e. Mama Mia, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Urintetown), dinner at Lotus (the Meatpacking district is very lively!), and bar and club hopping . . .if you want some specifics, feel free to send me an e-mail.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Ellen

More suggestions: Pastis Restaurant or Rhone in the meatpacking district (made popular by Samantha of Sex in the City), Markt on W. 14th also gets a young crowd. Blue Smoke, a new jazz, barbeque place is always jumping (E. 26th I think). For 'in' kinds of bars/restaurants - Tao, Blue Fin, the upstairs lounge at the W Hotel on W. 47th/Broadway and their basement disco. Just ask the hostess to direct you. Downtown try Bowery Bar, Beauty Bar, El Teddy, Odeon (one of my favorites), or Balthazar. Try making appointments for a treatment at Bliss Spa, shop at Century 21, and the flea market on Columbus and 79th.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Yev

If you want cheescake, the best ones are at "Juniors" in Downtown Brooklyn.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Marsha

I am the birthday girl and what I am looking for out of my weekend in NYC are some extravagant off broadway shows, a club that offers culture other than the local techno DJ (martini bars, swing clubs, or retro dance preferred), and any vegetarian restaurants. Any suggestions on these?? I have also decided to go shopping in the village thanks to earlier posts!!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Ellen

Veg Restaurants: Zen Palate (many locations), Republic (many locations), Vatan Indian (3rd & 29th) fantastic. The most elaborate broadway - 42nd St -hands down the most elaborate of the moment. Followed by Lion King, Aida, Full Monty, Phantom, and Millie. Not sure exactly what you mean by cultural clubs. Piano bars? Cabaret? Jazz? If that is the case, check out Jack Rose Upstairs, Feinstein's, Joe's Pub, or any one of about 30 jazz clubs in the city. If you pick up a copy of Time Out NY, it will give you an idea of the venues and types of entertainment.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:35 AM
TC

Without a doubt, you must get tickets for the Blue Men Group. It is the absolute NY off-Broadway show.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:02 AM
t

Topping for the birthday girl

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -