Phoenix from 1/4-1/11/2009

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Wife and I are staying at Marriott's Villas at Dessert Ridge which is near Deer Valley Road. We are budget-minded and are mulling using local buses or taxis instead of renting a car to sight see. We have never been in Phoenix and would stay in the surrounding area to see things that are on or near bus routes or short trip via taxi. Do your local buses get near out time share?
What local attractions do you recommend? We would consider attractions that we could bus to a reasonable distance from your city.
We are both senior citizens and can walk a bit.
Thanks for the suggestions.
We may use the bus to arrive from Albuquerque and return to same city--contingent on costs and schedules.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 01:30 PM

Sorry but you're going to find that Phoenix is one of those cities where a car is a must. The public transporation is not very good here at all. Heard Museum is great. One of the best collections of Native American artifacts in the U.S. Given the length of time you're staying, you may want to head up to Sedona (need a car) and see the beautiful scenery or down to Tucson (need a car) and see some of the sights there.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 05:47 AM

I agree with patandhank - public transportation around the Phoenix area is dismal.

That said, I think there is a bus stop near the resort (which is a gorgeous place but not centrally located) and you are near a large shopping area and grocery store that is within walking distance. I believe you can also rent a car at the resort.

I would contact the concierge desk and ask some questions about getting around. They should be able to advise you about buses, etc. I think you will need a car, however, even if just for a few days.

You didn't list any interests but there are activities galore in the Phoenix area. One that I think is a must-see is Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West in Scottsdale, not too far from where you will be staying (but not walking distance). Also, Carefree is a charming town, Old Town Scottsdale is fun. Sedona is lovely, Jerome is a small mining town (taken over by artists) near Sedona and is worth a stop.

There is untold shopping, great hiking, and the Phoenix Suns may be in town that week. The Phoenix Art Museum is near the Heard Museum - both great stops.
If you post some interests, I'm sure you will get recommendations for other activities. Most chambers of commnerce have a visitors guide, check the Phx. CC online to order one.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:26 AM

Buses are only good if the bus is going directly to where you want to go. Most routes are straight down one street. Therefore if you need to go both south and then east, you would need to take at least 2 buses with no guarantee that there would be a convenient transfer.

An example: My son attended summer school 4 years ago. The school was about two miles from our house. To get home required that he take 3 busses - the first for 1/2 mile, the second for 1 mile and the third for 1/2 mile.

When he hadn't returned from school an hour after school let out, I went to find him. He had made the first two legs of the trip and was waiting for the third bus. That was the last time he took the bus that summer!!
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM

If you stayed at a more central location for getting to many parts of the valley, you COULD take a taxi or have the hotel van drop you off, but it is highly unlikely that anything other than renting a car would work for you. This place is just too far spread out with interesting areas for tourists in all different areas. If you are from a country with driving on "the other side of the road/car" driving can be nerve-wracking, but if you are from the US, it shouldn't be that bad, especially if you rent a car with a GPS.