Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Scottsdale area sights to see after you've done all the usual "tourist" stuff?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm heading to Scottsdale next month w/DH who's going for business. We tend to go once a year, so we're somewhat familiar with the area and have already done some of the usual tourist bits. He'll have two afternoons free so I was looking for something new to explore. I guess that's one of the downsides to repeat trips--you've been there, done that!

On past trips we visited Taliesan West, Heard Museum, Old Town, done a jeep desert tour, explored the Cave Creek & Fountain Hills areas, and checked out the various shopping areas. In addition, we've done a day trip to Saguaro Desert Museum, and overnight to Sedona.

I'm looking for some interesting places in town I might have missed, as well as any suggestions for up to around 3 hours total in the outskirts. I've researched other threads and was wondering about Wickenburg or the Apache Trail. Can either of these be done in an afternoon, and are they worthwhile?

Thanks for letting me pick your brain.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:15 AM
Suerich68

Have you been to Jerome? We really liked it, even more than Sedona. It's an old mining town about 1/2 way between Phx & Sedona.

The Phx art museum is a nice afternoon too.

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:33 AM

Actually, Sedona is less than 15 miles farther from Phoenix than Jerome. Jerome IS a quirky litlle town, and I like it. But, IMO, nothing to keep you occupied for a whole day.

You might want to consider going the opposite direction, to Payson, Pine, Strawberry, and other areas in the mountains northeast of Scottsdale. Or to Roosevelt Lake or through Globe and the Salt River Canyon on up to the Show Low area.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:33 AM

The drive on the Apache Trail to Tortilla Flat, is one good possibility. On our last visit to Scottsdale, we were intrigued by the Indian Canyons which feature large groves of native palm trees.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. This is the first chance I've had to come back and check this site.

I agree that Jerome is an enjoyable trip, but we already did that when we were in Sedona. I probably didn't explain myself very well, but I only have 2 afternoons together with DH. That means only about 3-4 hours total each time, since we have to get back for business dinners. So unfortunately we can't go somewhere that takes almost that long to drive round trip, unless we're just viewing scenery along the way (which would be OK). I was also looking for anything in-town that we might have missed on previous trips.

I will definitely check out the art museum.

Mike, can you give me an idea how long it would take to see the towns you mention and what roads we would take?

I did find a website about the Apache Trail that intrigued me, but wasn't sure just where to start and how long it takes. I think it also goes through Globe? Happytrailstoyou, or anyone else, can you give me any further info?

Thanks again.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:19 AM

You could do the section of the Apache Trail from Apache Junction to Tortilla Flat and then back but you wouldn't have time to go farther. It is very pretty but you want to be returning before dark as the road can be treacherous.

DH and I did the trail from Apache Junction all the way to Roosevelt Dam then turned west (can't remember which road) to get back to the Phoenix area.

It was a nice ride until we came upon a motorcycist dead in the middle of the road just before Tortilla Flat. Either he or a the van that hit him had been on the wrong side of the road going around a bend. DH and I had just been commenting on how fast the motorcycles were going around the curves. Seeing THAT definitely slowed them down.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Having only 3-4 hours definitely narrows it down a bit. To Payson, take route 87, just off loop 101 in Mesa. It is only about 1 1/2 hours, give or take, depending on where you are coming from.

About 15 miles before Payson, there is a turnoff , route 188, that will take you to Roosevelt Lake, maybe 30 miles off 87.

You really don't have much time to go any further.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:02 AM

http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/PARKS/hikcmgud.html

Park on Invergorden and hike up Camelback a ways. You don't have to go far. Within 30 minutes you have a beautiful view of Phoenix. I especially enjoy peering down at the Phoenician from Camelback. Then you can go get a drink at the Phoenician or at Santuary on Camelback and peer up at the mountain you just hiked.

Tennis shoes and a bottle of water are the minimum of equipment for a short hike up.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:23 AM
ceg

I agree with Mike a trip to Payson, Roosevelt or maybe Saguaro Lake are great ideas. Just outside of Payson is a State Park with the Tonto Natural Bridge. Very nice park with the rock "bridge" and easy hiking. A little correction on Mike's directions. You cannot get to Hwy 87 off of the Loop 101. It is off of the 202. From Scottsdale I would take Shea Blvd. east through Fountain Hills to 87 also known as the Bee Line. (Shea Blvd. ends there.) Payson is an hour/hour and a half north from there.
Another suggestion, although I have yet to try it is the Fort McDowell Adventures on the reservation has couple of hour horse back trip through the Verde River area.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Oops. That's right, 87 is off 202, not 101. I forgot, since it is such a short distance on 202. Coming from Tucson, I usually go 60 to 101, to 202, to 87.

I have a .pdf map of Phoenix I can send you (zoomable) Send me an email and I will email it to you (from AAA)
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm printing them out for my trip and will hopefully get to try at least one of them.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 09:06 AM

I found the Cosanti Bell Foundry interesting when I was in Scottsdale. Even ended up buying a bell for a wedding gift. http://www.arcosanti.org/expCosanti/main.html
I also liked the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 05:11 AM

Boyce Thompson Arboretum near Superior. Afterwards, continue east thru superior and up the Queen Creek Canyon to Oak Flat. THen turn around. We did that 3 weeks ago, just after the big snowfall - spectacular!

Goldfield ghost town near Apache Junction is also fun.