From Midway to O'Hare

Search

From Midway to O'Hare

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Midway to O'Hare

I was just reading old posts. Is there actually service on the L between the airports? Where can I find more info? thanks.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:05 AM
GoTravel

Yes, you hop on the train and go downtown then switch trains for the airport.

http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/cgi-bin/itin.pl

http://www.transitchicago.com/

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:23 AM
JJ5

It would be much better to take a cab, as if you did that (and it is possible) it would be like driving to NYC from Chicago in order to get to somewhere in FL.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:25 AM

More like flying from NYC to Chicago to get to Florida.

Keith
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:42 AM
JJ5

With these L's, especially the orange line- it's more like driving, and with the delays you come across in traffic. Now with the Dan Ryan (94) down they are expecting all L's, trains, and other expressways to be maxed with crowds. Local TV news is literally nagging on the fact to leave yourself extra time for more expressway time, possible train delays- if that is possible.

IMHO, the Orange line is great but doesn't run all that frequently to make this trip other than a marathon.

I personally have never known anyone to take this route between airports unless they were staying downtown somewhere in between their airport visits or functions.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 01:00 PM

There is also a shuttle between airports. Go to
http://www.ohare.com/ohare/ground_tr..._shuttles.shtm
for details.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:48 PM

The Orange Line runs every ten to fifteen minutes, so frequency is not a problem. It's just that you're spending 1/2 an hour to get downtown from Midway, then another 30-40 minutes to head out to O'Hare, going in the same (westerly) direction you came from. And with the Ryan construction, the trains could be much more crowded than usual. So, that's a lot of time to spend on an overcrowded train, plus all the waiting and walking. It can be done, but it's not real practical.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

So, in other words, would it be stupid to book where I need to get betsween the 2 airports? Is the shuttole bus the best option if I do this?
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 05:28 AM

It would not be stupid, but it would add time and cost to your travels. Sounds like the experts agree that shuttle or cab is best. If you have all the time in the world, certainly the train is cheaper. Check out the website posted for the shuttle to see if they give info about costs and timing. Maybe someone else can give you info about the cost of a cab.

Whatever you decide, be sure you leave plenty of time for delays between landing at one and taking off at the other. Your first flight could be late, and you could have traffic delays as well.