Jerome or Sedona?

Old Jun 19th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jerome or Sedona?

We are planning a trip "out west" next spring, and we have 2 days to stay outside the Grand Canyon, and see that part of Arizona. We are debating between staying in Jerome or Sedona. We enjoy nature, the outdoors, culture and shopping, so it's a tough choice! We will be travelling with our 16- and 18-year-old children, who don't mind hanging with the folks on vacation.

What are some pros and cons of each, and what accommodations would you recommend at either area?

Thanks much!
Sharon
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 04:53 PM

I would definitely chose Sedona. You will find a lot more to do, not to mention a lot better selection of places to stay and to eat. Jerome is a nice little town which you can easily visit in an afternoon. I really don't remember a lot there except a bunch of small shops and an old mine. There's just a lot more to Sedona.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM

I was just in both towns over Memorial Day weekend. I agree with don512 as well. Jerome's definitely worth a visit, but not recommended for anything more than an afternoon. Definitely stop by Grapes for lunch! They are definitely the best restaurant I've been to in Arizona!

Sedona's a beautiful place to be and there are lots of things to do there. Hiking, jeep tours to name a few. They also have a nice area downtown although the name of the place eludes me at the moment. Do check out the Oak Creek Brewery, which is in the area I am thinking of. They got some decent food as well. So aim for Sedona!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Jerome is built on the side of a mountain. I don't think I could spend more than a day there. It's a very interesting place. My sister and brother in law went to the museum there and really liked learning about the history. We didn't have time.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Sedona. Pros -- things to do such as lots of hiking, art galleries, horseback riding, etc. Jerome is ok for a day trip but wouldn't recommend picking Jerome as the destination over Sedona.

We loved Enchantment Resort -- had kitchenettes for ease of breakfast and snacks, great location with trails close by, a great pool with a view and some smaller pools scattered around, and good restaurants as well. Its in a very stunning location and minutes into town.

I highly recommend Sedona.

Old Jun 19th, 2007, 06:20 PM

As everyone else has said: Sedona.

No comparison even.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Sedona, definitely, with a visit to Jerome!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 07:23 PM
TahitiTams

Hands down Sedona!
Jerome for a half day trip on the way back to the PHX airport..
Sedona is stunning and if for luxury, the Enchantment Resort is gorgeous and if not, go there for lunch (Yavapai restaurant, floor to ceiling windows looking at Red Rocks)
They have La Quinta Inn, Best Western & Days Inn that are around $100+ and not a bad place to stay for the price.
Cowboy Club is great for dinner..kids will love it too.
Coffee Pot for breakfast.
Jerome has a wonderful restaurant called the Asylum at the Jerome Grand Hotel..
Have a wonderful time!

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 04:25 AM

Sedona, DEFINITELY.

Although I an agree that a day trip to Jerome would be a good idea.

The hotels in Sedona I would recommend are L'Auberge Sedona and Enchantment Resort
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 05:06 AM

Certainly Sedona but try to steer clear of the 'downtown' area if you seek peace & quiet. By all means spend a day in Jerome, the kids will probably like Jerome as it is a bit of an 'Old West' type ghost/mining town. We like the Inn on Oak Creek as well.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 05:25 AM

I'd stay in Prescott and tour Jerome and Sedona, especially with teens.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 05:34 AM

Here's what i replied yesterday to a similar post on sedona:

We stayed at the Best Western Arroyo last summer for 3 nights with older kids (teens)and were so glad we did. Its right there in the middle of all the stuff that many people want to avoid but is so helpful for older kids

Ask for an upper floor as they all overlook a nice pool and the red cliffs. An indoor pool, pool table and computers are in another building set a bit behind the hotel near the creek. Its a nice setting and our kids loved walking around town by themselves.

Of course we drove other places (for hikes, to jerome, for my run ect) but for teens, you can't beat the location for shopping ect.

Try the cowboy club for a fun, tasty dinner, esp. the cactus fries!

I would add that we spent 1/2 day in jerome too, which we all enjoyed. Have lunch at The Haunted Hamburger, a funky joint with pretty good food. Wait for a table on the patio; we got the very last one that kinda hung over the cliff. The nachos were yummy
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the help! Fodorites have come through again!!! Ellen, I saw your post on the other thread you referred to, and checked out the BW Arroyo - looks great! (BTW - Love your screen name!!!) Looks like Sedona, here we come!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 03:51 PM

I've stayed at BW Aroyo Condos on the creek. I understand the hotel is nice, too. Location is perfect. Be sure to walk down to Oak Creek, sit in the swing and watch the ducks frolic in the river. A great place to relax. I have stayed at Sunterra Sedona Summit in West Sedona and plan another visit this fall. Units are nice, but location requires a car. Be sure to have lunch or breakfast at The Wildflower Bread Company at The Shops at Hyatt Pinon Pointe. Great food, especially the deserts, fantastic views and food at reasonable prices. Don't miss a stroll through Tlaquepaque Arts & Crafts Village. Nice places to eat here, too. A real bargain are the trolley tours close to the BW hotel. The tour that includes the chapel on the rock is slightly better than the other. Verde Valley Train trip is certainly worth your time. Take in the view from the airport - it's beautiful. There's plenty to do and see in and around Sedona for a week or more. Have a great visit.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 04:07 PM

I like Precott, and think the suggestion to stay there with day trips to Sedona and Jerome is a good one.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Easy answer. Sedona.

Recommend a jeep tour with children that age. Or hiking. Went to Jerome. Not too impressed. Stores selling various stuff. A place to stay near Sedona may be Cottonwood. Several of the chain motels, family restaurants and chain stores. Short drive to Sedona.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:20 PM

We have always loved our day trips to Jerome. It's a fascinating place. Staying in Sedona will give you more options for food, hiking, exploration, activities...and the views!
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 05:12 AM

Distances from Sedona: Cottonwood 19 miles; Jerome 23 miles; Prescott 60 miles.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 05:12 AM

Sedona is so beautiful! We just got back from a 4 day trip there and loved it! We also, took a day trip to Jerome and at the Asylum (If you go, be sure to get their butternut squash soup). I think the shopping in Jerome is better priced than Sedona.
We stayed at the Cathedral Rock lodge, www.cathedralrocklodge.com. I can't recommend this place enough. I think it's the most reasonable priced and beautiful place to stay in Sedona. It's number one on tripadvisor. It's slightly out of town close to the Cathedral Rock.