Search

Phoneix hotel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phoneix hotel

Wondering if anyone knows the Phoenix area well enough to recommend a hotel. We'll be there for up to 3 weeks (we're adopting a child and will be waiting for the legal paperwork to go through). While there we'd like a nice suite -- something with more than one room plus a full kitchen. Ideally it would be within walking distance of a grocery store (so we don't need to rent a car for 3 weeks just to have it sit there except for runs to the store). Being in an area nice for walks would be a plus. Doesn't need to be in downtown Phoenix, anywhere in the general area is good. Thanks in advance if you can recommend something!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 10:22 AM

When we were in Phoenix we stayed in Scottsdale (motel 6). This is the nicest part of Phoenix we understood.I'm sure if you look under Hotels.com you'll be able to find the required accomodations in that area. Paul
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 11:03 AM
ceg

Where in Phoenix are you going to be? It is a huge city and if you do not have a car it will be difficult to get around.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. We can stay anywhere in the Phoenix area we like. We're just wondering if anyone might be able to recommend a place with (a) suites/full kitchens and (b) walking distance to a grocery store. We checked hotels.com and other similar sites. . .they didn't have that information. Perhaps nothing like that's available in the Phoenix area. Hard to believe, but I suppose it's possible!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 11:26 AM

Best wishes on your adoption.

I think you'll be miserable in Phoenix/Scottsdale without a car for 3 weeks, no matter what grocery store is nearby. Don't you want to get out to a restaurant, or do a little sightseeing?

We've been to Phx/Scottsdale several times & it just doesn't seem like you can get around at all without a car. You can't simply cross highways!

Just bite the bullet & get the smallest, cheapest car you can find.

Good luck.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

OK, thanks Leona. Sounds like we'll just need to get the car. . .

Given that, does anyone else have any suggestions for a comfortable, spacious suite/full kitchen hotel in the Phoenix area?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 12:10 PM

I'd prefer to stay in a condo for that length of time rather than a hotel room. Check www.vrbo.com for Phoenix area condos.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Some thoughts:

Agree that you'll need a car. Phoenix/Scottsdale is not a walking town, and things are so spread out that a taxis will be very expensive. Just for example, a taxi ride to and from the airport will be costly, so might just as well rent a car.

Suite hotel: There is a Summerfield Suites in the downtown area of Scottsdale, right by the Old Town area. In fact, it's in walking distance to Old Town, so you can walk around and enjoy the shops, although most sell the same tourist stuff. Don't recall a grocery store, but I wasn't looking for one. However, the suites come with a complete kitchen: Full size refigerator, dishwasher, can't remember if there's a stove or just a cooktop, microwave, lots of cabinets, etc. They have one & two bedroom suites, and the bedrooms close off from the living area. Not huge, but something to consider. They also serve a nice hot breakfast buffet, and during the week there's a cocktail reception in the late afternoon with some snacks, but it's not that great.

There is also a Comfort Suites in the same vicinity, but I don't have any personal knowledge of it.

Hope your adoption process goes smoothly.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 05:01 AM

I agree with previous posters about needing a car in Phoenix/Scottsdale.
For business, I have stayed several times at the Residence Inn (6040 No. Scottsdale) There are restaurants located across the street and there's a gourmet grocery ( AJ's) about .5 miles away. Residence Inn rooms come with full kitchen, plates, utensils, coffeemaker, dishwasher,etc. They also leave a grocery list in your room and will do the shopping for you at no charge. There's a free breakfast buffet and evening get togethers with food on business nites. If you are going for 3 weeks, you may be able to arrange a discounted rate with their management. I still would want a car in this area.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 04:47 PM

There's a suite hotel just south of Camelback Road and about 22nd St. Great location to everything in the Biltmore area of Phoenix, walking distance to movies, restaurants, grocery, shops, etc. There is an Embassy Suites on Camelback Road, east of 24th Street and another Embassy Suites on Paradise Valley Parkway, just west of Tatum Blvd., also great location, walking to PV Mall, movies, restaurants...also good restaurants in both these last hotels.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 10:16 PM

You could get Residence Inn by Marriott. The rooms are like apartments - refrigerator, coffee maker, toaster, microwave, etc. In addition, you get free breakfast. I turned out getting this on Priceline for $30 a night. Check www.biddingfortravel.com. The best price on a car will probably be through Priceline also. If not, you can get a AAA or Costco discount on cars.

Good luck with the adoption!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 04:47 AM

I agree with the poster who recommended the Summerfield Suites in Old Town Scottsdale. I have a friend who goes to Scottsdale for two - four weeks almost every year and tries not to rent a car for most of her visit. She stays right in that area. Actually, there is an apartment/condo complex next door to the Summerfield Suites that does daily and monthly rentals. The complex is called San Marin. These are one and two bedroom condos with full kitchens, dining room, etc. I can highly recommend. Have not stayed at the Summerfield Suites, but it looks very nice and gets good reviews on tripadvisor.com You can walk to Frys Supermarket from here and you are in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale, which is very nice -- all walkable.

Good luck with the adoption. I am an adoptive mother, so I know what you are going through!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 08:29 AM

I would also recommend the Old Town area. Convenient to shops and restaurants (including grocery store). Although Phoenix is a car-oriented city, if renting a car for three weeks puts a dent in your budget, you'll do fine in Old Town without transportation. You can also use the bus system.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 12:22 PM

I would recommed the Sheraton Desert Oasis. The have condo's there that are exactly what you're looking for and it's about 5 minutes from a Trader Joe's and other restaruants.

Not sure the cost, but they have a full kitchen and are very spacious. I used a timeshare week there, really nice place and close to just about everything.