Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Area for Two Weeks with a Six-Year Old-What to Do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Happy Grandparent

We intend to see the Phoenix Zoo and the Desert Rock Museum, and perhaps take in a Diamonbacks game. Any other suggestions?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:39 AM
garyt

Happy G - consider a trip to Rawhide in northern Scottsdale... it's a full blown western cowboy town with plenty of shows,activities and shops for the little one... there's also a steakhouse for grub.

My kids loved "panning for gold" (painted stones) and the riding demonstrations... it does get hot, so plan accordingly... have fun buckaroos!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Mo

I second the Rawhide recommendation. My wife met me out there a few years ago. I went with some collegues. When my wife arrived, I had to take her there as well to experience it. I hear they got rid of the tic-tac-toe playing chicken. Some animal rights group complained.

The chicken was in a small box and for 25 cents you could play the chicken. The chicken always went 1st and was conditioned to peck in the right order so it couldn't lose. If the chicken won, it got some feed & you got ridiculed by your friends for getting beat by a chicken. I didn't lose but a salesman friend of mine got beat. Very embarassing

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 01:14 PM
karen

I think I'm pretty well equipped to answer this one as my family goes out every year ever spring break to visit the grandparents and I have a 7 & 5 year old. McCormick Railroad Park is fun (corner Scottsdale Bl & Indian Bend). Aside from regular playground equipment, they also have a train and carousel that run continuously throughout the day. Also, the AZ science center downtown is a great hands-on museum; we make it a priority every year. Aside from the zoo there are 2 places with animals...Out of Africa and World Wildlife Zoo. They're similar but Out of Africa is run by a couple who has rescued animals (mainly big cats) from undesirable situations. Diamondback's game is a good thought. How about some boating at Lake Pleasant? Hope some of these ideas are helpful.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Chick Reynolds

You can probably get in a few rounds of golf at Scottsdale.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 03:27 PM
m

You don't say when you're going to be in phoenix, but one thing we noticed this march (and my 7 year old longed to go to) were a few waterparks - one was called Big surf, and there were two others. I'm pretty sure they don't open until may, though. There are web sites for all 3 of them - do a google search.

We also had a great time in the recreated ghost town of Goldfield. It is still a wworking gold mine, you can tour the mine in a cart and also pan for gold, and ride a old mining train. It's at the foot of the superstition mts - and the apache trail - a spectacular (but long) drive. There is also an arcade with the usual assortment of arcade/video games, laser tag, mini golf and the like called Fiddlesticks (I think) in one of the million malls in Scottsdale. we have friends who go to PHX every year with their young sons and they never skip a trip to fiddlesticks. Frankly, with my kid, you take him to a pool for a couple of hours, go out to lunch and then go back to the pool - he's happy.Have fun.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:06 AM
steve

Desert Breeze Park in Chandler - ride the train, waterplay (take a change of clothes or a towel)

Enchanted Island at Encanto Park is a nice amusement park for kids that age.

Mesa Southwest Museum - that was my kids favorite -especially going in the old jail

Sugar Bowl ice cream parlor in downtown Scottsdale.

Goldfield, McCormack Ranch, Phoenix Zoo are all fun. ALso Out of Africa and Wildlife World Zoo

D'back tickets go for as low as $1.00. %6.00 tickets aren't too bad. For only $14.00 you can get upper level behind the plate (that's were I was Fri night)

Pick up the following FREE papers - Arizona Parenting and Arizona Child. You might also pay for Raising Arizona Kids. They have monthly calendars.

Might also get a FREE New Times and see what they ahve in their 'Kid Thrills' section

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:42 AM
Happy G

Great suggestions, everyone. Thanks!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:44 AM
Jona

The Science Center downtown is a lot of fun.