Search

Phoenix with kids

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phoenix with kids

My husband and his dad are taking our two boys (ages 11 and 8) to the Phoenix area for Cubs spring training in March. They will be there for 1 week and none of them have ever vacationed in and around Phoenix. Any suggestions for kid-friendly attractions, activities and family restaurants? The boys are well seasoned travelers and are beyond the pizza/arcade places. How is the Phoenix zoo? They will have two days with no baseball games and want to make the most of their time!
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:05 AM

I know I'm not much of any help, but when we were there around the same time and went to a pre-season game, we ate at a steak type restaurant that was loaded with memorabelia, and sometimes a ball player shows up for dinner (there was a table full of lesser-knowns when we were there). I can't remember the name, but I do remeber the place was mobbed. Maybe someone else here will remember the name.

We took our kids on a taliesen tour, they were moderately interested, but I really enjoyed it.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:08 AM

I just google "pheonix restaurant with sports memorabilia", low and behold, I found it: Don & Charlie's in Scottsdale.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:15 AM

One thing you may consider on a day off from baseball is a day trip to sedona. The kids would probably love going on a pink jeep tour.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 01:50 PM

IF you go to a game in Scottsdale, then go to the Sugar Bowl for a post game ice cream.

I always recommend Pinnacle Peak Patio for a good cowboy steak. It used to be out in the middle of nowhere but of course it is now surrounded by homes. I got Ted Williams autograph there. (he's still in Scottsdale - at least his frozen head is!)

The zoo is good. They might also like just having a picnic in Papago Park (where the zoo is located) and climb on some of the rocks, especially around 'hole in the rock'. Pueblo Grande indian ruins are nearby (and are free).

The Heard Museum (Indian arts/crafts) and the Arizona Science Museum are located in downtown Phoenix.

Just east of Mesa is Goldfield - an old gold mining town. It has some old buildings, a train, and a 'mine'. It was a big gold producing town - one of the biggest cities in Arizona - until WWII. Nearby is Lost Dutchman State Park.

Bill Johnson's Big Apple restaurant is in Mesa (as well as Phoenix) which is a non-national chain you might enjoy.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 01:52 PM

cubs spring training tickets went on sale today on their website
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 02:01 PM
lls

The zoo is very nice. We stayed at the Pointe Hilton which was very nice with a cool pool area/lazy river -- I'd definitely recommend staying there. Check out ASU's baseball schedule -- they have a nice stadium and Tempe is a good place to spend some time eating, shopping or just walking around campus. Skip the Fox Sports Net restaurant in Scottsdale -- it was more nice restaurant than sports bar.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 05:11 PM

We went to Arizona when my kids were young. I spent the whole time bird watching. Husband took them to Old Tucsan and they liked it a lot. It's not something I'd want to do, but thought I'd throw it out there.

http://www.oldtucson.com/

I LOVE the Boyce Thompson Arboretum outside Phoenix. There are easy hiking trails and it is absolutely gorgeous. My kids saw a scorpian there and liked that.

http://arboretum.ag.arizona.edu/
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 05:38 PM

The restaurant with the sports memorabilia is Don and Charlies in downtown Scottsdale.

We visit Phoenix/Scottsdale frequently with our kids and usually visit other hotels (our kids like to check them all out). We visited Fountain Hills (the craft fair is fun), Carefree (the Boulders), a trip to Sedona on the Pink Jeep Tour was probably one of our favorite things!!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

You've all been more helpful than a tour book!! I appreciate the restaurant help and the first-hand-experience reviews of the area. I got the Cubs spring training tickets yesterday when they went on sale. It's cheaper (and you get better seats) when going to a Cubs "away" game in the nearby towns!!
Thanks for all your suggestions and any more are welcome and appreciated!
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 11:03 AM

If you are all adventurous and in good shape you should hike Camelback Mountain. Fun, kinda scary, and a beautiful view in every direction.