Phoenix , Sedona area for kids and adults

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 4 afternoons in Phoenix, then 21/2 days to split between Sedona Grand Canyon the first week in march. 3 kids..3, 6, and 8. Any suggestions? Jeep tours sound good in Scottsdale and Sedona..they swear they are ok for my 3 year old..any thoughts?

Is the desert museum good for kids?

Anyone heard of some type of wild west park/show?

Any other activities? ghost towns easy hikes in desert?

What about city tours. I usually take a city tour 1st day to get an overview and note places to go back? Any thoughts or suggestions on this.

Thx
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:50 AM

You might try Goldfield - a ghost town/tourist attractions near Apache Jct.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:44 AM

My kids are now 7 & 9 but we've been going to Scottsdale every spring break since they were born. Here are a few of our suggestions: The Arizona Science Center is a wonderful hands-on museum downtown. We try to go every year. There is a good wild animal park called "Out of Africa." It's owned by a couple who have rescued many wild animals from less than desirable living situations. They have shows and you can wander around too. Just for a break there is a great park called McCormick Railroad Park. It not only has several sets of playground equipment but also has a carousel and a train that you can ride around the park. There are other railroad displays there as well. It's a lovely park. The Phoenix zoo is beautifully laid out (but I wouldn't do that and the animal park in the same visit). Hope this gives you a good start. Feel free to post back with any questions!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:47 AM

Oh one more thing...last year we drove out to Peoria (about 30-40 minutes away) to the Challenger space museum. It's a smallish museum on the grounds of a local high school but they give tours all day and the docents are very knowledgeable. If any of your kids are into space, the solar system, etc...it's worth the trip.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:44 PM

We went to goldfield last year. I thought it was ho hum kids sort of liked it. I have heard much better things about Rawhide!

http://www.rawhide.com/
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:39 PM

Here's another vote for Out of Africa. I took my daughter several times when she was in that age range, and she loved it. If you go, plan to spend at least a few hours and attend their shows (particularly the big cats) to get the full benefit. It's in the NE valley near Fountain Hills.

Depending on where you are staying, there are some nice hikes in South Mountain park. Some of the trails offer nice views of the Phoenix area. You can access some of the trails from near the Pointe at South Mountain.

My memories of Rawhide aren't too good, but I have not been there since high school (more than 20 years). Given the development out in that area since then, I'm sure they have probably improved it.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:25 PM

I believe Out of Africa has changed locations, well worth it, but check before you head out there...think it is north on I-17, they needed alot more land than they had previously.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:31 PM

Rawhide is a good choice but the 3 yr old might be to young to really enjoy it.