Philadelphia itenerary questions....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to see all of the historical stuff we can in one day. What's the best way to do it? Are there any bus or guided tours that would be best?

Anybody been on Ride The Ducks? I've been on some in different parts of the country and they have been great. What about the ones in philly?

Anybody ever toured where the Phillies or Eagles play? Can you give me some hints? We would like to do that, too.

Thanks for any feedback.

Oh, it's just my wife and I and we will be near Philly July 8-12, with one day reserved for going to Wilmington, Del., after driving from Hershey and another for Six Flags, NJ.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 01:39 PM
yk

Your answer here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-for-1-day.cfm
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 01:54 PM

I'm always a little suspicious of the Ducks, but some people like them a lot, and it is kind of cool to watch it going in the Delaware. The historic area is pretty walkable, and the Parks Service has a lot of stuff going on. If you get there early in the day you can pick up (free) tickets for Independence Hall at the visitors center.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Great responses. Please keep 'em coming.

Thanks
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to the Visitors Center. You can get your free timed tickets for Independence Hall there (or order them ahead on line) and find out about all sorts of tours in the area.
Check out:
www.gophila.com and www.phillyfun.com
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 05:31 PM

OOOOOOOPS! that should be www.funphilly.com
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 06:05 PM

Living near Philly all my life I have not used the tour trolleys or ducks but have used the horse and carriage which was not too bad. With only a day you can see most all the local sites around Independence Park. In my view it would be worth your time to visit the Constitution Center. The park service has done an excellent job of creating history.

Get there early to get tickets for Independence Hall. I would just take a walking tour on my own. With more time Philly has a lot more to offer in Museums and other historical sites which are just outside the city. If you are going to Delaware and have a little time you might want to see Longwood Gardens which is just inside the PA border near Wilmington..

AS for where the Eagles and Phillies play is South Philadelphia. Other than the Stadiums there is much to see. I am a season Eagles season ticket holder.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 04:28 AM

I think you should get your tickets to Independence Hall online just to be sure that you will get them. I tried to get tickets online the day before a visit, and they did not have any left. Are you sightseeing in Wilmington or something else?
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Amy

You can indeed tour Citizens Bank Park (home of the Phillies): http://mlb.mlb.com/phi/ballpark/tour.jsp and Lincoln Financial Field (home of the Eagles):
http://www.lincolnfinancialfield.com...adiumtours.asp Tours are $9 each. It's easy to get to the area by public transportation, or on your way to/from Delaware if you're driving.

I've been on the Ducks with my out of town family, and they're fun/fine, but there are a lot of walking tours/areas of Philadelphia that give you a better look, so it all depends on your priorities (and funds!)

Here's another good recent Philadelphia thread: http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-itinerary.cfm

(As you can see, I'm a bit of a fan of Philadelphia.)
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 09:07 PM

We did the historical district in one day and took the Duck Tour (recommend!)to end the day. Get your tickets to Independence Hall online from the Park Service and assure yourself of an early time. Everything is fairly close together and you can choose what you want to visit. Maps from the Visitor's Center make it very easy to do on your own without taking a tour. You can also buy tickets for the Duck Tour at the Visitor's Center and it leaves from (and returns to) nearby. It lasts a little over an hour and it was just crazy fun! It's the only place we've taken one and we passed on the one in Pittsburgh on this same trip because we thought it would be a letdown after the Philly one. We loved Philly! Oh, BTW, Campo's makes a very good cheesesteak for lunch when you are in the historical district.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 04:16 AM

I live in the Phila. area and just heard of this great website this morning. You can order a visitors guide also:

http://www.philadelphiausa.travel
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM

I second the recommendation for Campo's. Not expensive, and an excellent cheesesteak. They also sell ice cold Peronis to go with, as well as the normal complement of soft drinks.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 07:40 AM

I am a center city resident and just recently took my nephews on the Big Bus Tour http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/phila...a/default.aspx and have to say that it was an excellent and accurate tour of the city. The price was not too steep and you can jump ohn and off all day. You can pick up the bus at 5th and Market and they run every 20 minutes. Big Bus Tour has my vote!!!
Have fun
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 02:11 PM

Given the choice between getting a cheesesteak at Campo's or one at the Tony Luke's outpost in Reading Terminal Market, I'd much sooner opt for the latter. Campo's is better than Sonny's, though, and both it and Sonny's are right in the Old City area -- though Reading Terminal Market isn't far away, either.

Though you might like a roast pork with sharp provolone and greens at DiNic's in RTM even better. Or get one of these and a Tony Luke's cheesesteak and share. There are plenty of threads that discuss RTM here -- a board search is suggested.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Here's our recent Philadelphia trip report that may give you some ideas:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...gettysburg.cfm