Independence Hall Tickets Soldout?

Mar 30th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Independence Hall Tickets Soldout?

I tried to reserve Independence Hall tickets online through the parks systems, but they're all sold out the beginning of next week (when we'll be visiting)! Any ideas if they will still have "walk-up" tickets available if we get there early in the morning? I was thinking maybe they only allow a certain number of pre-bought tickets?

This is one of the main sites we were planning to see, but didn't realize there was such a demand in April.

Thanks!
Mar 30th, 2009, 08:25 AM
yk

http://www.nps.gov/inde/independence-hall.htm

Walk-Up Tickets are available for free on the morning of your visit at the Independence Visitor Center at 6th and Market Street starting at 8:30 AM. The first tour starts at 9:00AM. You may request tickets for any available time, on the day of the visit. You have the greatest choice of times if you arrive between 8:30 and 10:30 AM. During the busy season, tickets are often gone by 1:00 PM.

I'm sure they only set aside a handful of tix that can be reserved in advance, but majority of tix are available on the day of visit in person.
Mar 30th, 2009, 09:23 AM

The crush on the tickets this time of year is due to the many student groups on tour on the East Coast.
Mar 30th, 2009, 02:35 PM

You could try to get tickets via walk-up, but I'd think getting there before the visitors center opens to be one of the first in line is likely your only real chance. No promise they'll have anything, sorry to say.
Apr 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM

I'm not so sure about the majority of tix being available as walk-up, I'm not sure where yk got that information. But I do think you'll likely get tickets walk-up as long as you get there early in the morning. Let us know how your trip was!
Apr 1st, 2009, 03:16 PM
yk

Well, it is just a guess on my part.

I cannot imagine every single visitor who show up at Independence Hall (many of which may be visitors from foreign countries who understand limited English) will have a reserved ticket in hand. It also discriminates people who have no access to a computer, or people who are computer-illiterate. I just find it hard to believe there will be very few tickets available for walk-up.

As the website says (which I quoted above in italics) - during busy season, tickets are often gone by 1pm. Busy season to me = summer weekends during July/August. Not first week of April mid-week.

For your peace of mind, why not give them a call and find out how many tickets they set aside each day for walk-up? You can reach Independence Visitor Center at 215-965-2305
Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, yk. I will give them a call just in case. I imagine that you're correct. The Internet tickets are probably limited, since many folks don't even know about it and probably aren't as computer savvy as those of us posting here.
Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

I called and found out that they have plenty of walk-up tickets available, and that the website gets their own allotment of tickets to sell, but that's not all of the ones available.
Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:59 AM
yk

Thanks for reporting back, adam. Hope you have a good trip to PA, and if you can, post a trip report or a brief recap after your trip!
Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:09 PM

sorry, yk, it *was* a good guess! and that was a good idea to just call! I get so used to doing everything online these days that sometimes I forget the obvious I was a little concerned for op because I do remember that the first time I walked up to get a ticket, they were all gone. But tho' I don't remember specifics, knowing dh and me, it wasn't morning
Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
yk

go_laura - I too sometimes fault on relying on the internet solely and forgot the obvious. A few times I find myself posting questions all over internet forums, only later to realize that I could have easily found out the answer by picking up the phone and have a human phone conversation!
Apr 29th, 2009, 03:36 PM

What was your experience showing up for tickets?

The website availability is quite strange. Plenty of availability this Sat, Sun, next Monday but then nothing at all for next Thursday or Friday! It seems like they allot a lot of tickets when they are available (like 70 or so in each time slot).

So I don't get it. You can get tickets for a weekend but not for a weekday.

I tried calling and there's nothing for next Friday either. Toll free number is 800-967-2283, by the way.
Apr 29th, 2009, 04:02 PM

111op, it's possible the non-availability of weekday tickets could be because of school groups, which I think tend to go during weekdays instead of weekends.

If you're going the show-up-and hope-for-the-best route, I'd think you're best off getting there before the visitor center opens up.
Apr 29th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Yeah ideally that's what I'd do.

But I may not be able to arrive so early and my afternoon is filled with other things. Anyway, if I can't do it this time there will be another opportunity. Thanks.
May 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Just thought I'd share my experience. I arrived around 11 but the earliest tickets were for 2:15. I went over to Independence Hall anyway. There was a security tent and you didn't need a ticket to go through security.

Then I found a ranger and I asked him if I could possibly go in with the next group. There were too many students, but he said that I could try a little later.

I went over to the West Wing (there's an "Essentials" exhibition that exhibits a couple of pages from the important documents and the ink stand they think was used in the signing of the Declaration and the Constitution). Then I went back to the East Wing. At this point I'd been listening in on the deliberations of a family about whether they should stay or leave because they had something to catch. When they decided to leave, I asked them to give me their tickets. Then I exchanged them for a ticket covering an earlier time slot.

So it wasn't too hard to get tickets on the spot. You may have to be a little creative and pay a little more attention.

Independence Hall is actually a Unesco World Heritage site chosen in 1979.

Don't miss Congress Hall as well. I thought that was more interesting than Independence Hall.

No tickets are required to see Liberty Bell.
May 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM

I forgot to mention -- it pays to check the website also. When I checked later, I found that there were tickets for time slots I couldn't make, but when I checked at first, there was nothing available at all.
May 9th, 2009, 02:57 AM
yk

Glad it worked out.
May 12th, 2009, 03:05 PM

The problem with Independence Hall is that the student package tour groups prebook most of the available tickets online. We have the same problem with sites in DC (The Capitol, Washington Monument, Ford's, etc.). Tickets are always set aside for walk ups.

Many groups book more tickets than they need "just in case". I am a tour director/guide for some of these tours in DC, NYC and Phila. If I have extra tickets left, I simply pass them out to those waiting or turn them in--whichever is more convenient at the moment. If you see an obvious tour director or guide, it doesn't hurt to ask if they have extras.
May 22nd, 2009, 05:15 PM

bookmarking