Philadelphia help please

Search

Philadelphia help please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2003, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philadelphia help please

Spending Columbus Day weeked at a family celebration near Philadelphia (Willow Grove to be exact). We want to take our kids (boys, 14 & 17) to South Street Friday night, and the Italian Market on Saturday morning.
Questions 1. Any suggestions for restaurants or pubs (which would allow minors) for a late dinner Fri in the South Street Area?
Question 2. Anywhere else, somewhat convenient (we will have a car and are good at hoofing it too) to the Italian Market we can go to afterwards? We've already seen the historical sights of Philly and the kids have requested "no musuems this time." We have to be back to the "family" by 6 pm.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 07:42 AM

There are a bunch of Italian restaurants on/near South St that are still going strong late on Fri night -- check Zagat's or other positings on this site. I would recommend making reservations.

Have you ever been to Dave & Buster's -- that would be a great place to go have fun on a Sat (especially if you happen to get rained out) -- it is on the Pier, has a few different restaurants inside for lunch -- check out their web-site. They have their own parking garage, so that will make it convenient.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thans for the idea-i'm going to the website now to check it out!
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 04:53 AM

For a city kind of a day, parking at 10th and Catherine or Christian would put you in position to have breakfast at Carmen's (11th and Passyunk) or the Morning Glory (10th and Fitzwater). You could stroll through the market (9th street) and then just continue to head south to South, Lombard or Pine. There will probably be pick-up basketball going on at the corner of 10th and Lombard. Pine, roughly from 12th to 8th used to be Antiques Row but is now changing over to more varied shops.

Head east on Pine. South on 5th. If it's raining, there will probably be a good movie on at the Ritz East or the Ritz at the Bourse. Even though you feel you've done the history/museum thing, you might still try the new Constitution center. The introductory film alone is worth it. (www.constitutioncenter.org)

This would also put you near Old City, which is full of restaurants, shops, galleries and just plain city sights. Before heading back home try Petits 4 (on 4th Street) or Jones (6th and Chestnut) for coffee or a late lunch. Then cab it back to the car.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks dbenya for the great itinerary. My boys (sons and husband) will probbly be detoured for a long time at the basketball game. A city full of history and they'l want to shoot hoops! Oh well.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 09:43 AM

You're entirely welcome. One important correction, though. I should have said east on Pine, NORTH on 5th.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 10:40 AM

Rachel - were you able to check out Dave & Buster's web-site: http://www.daveandbusters.com ??? This would be a great alternative to have in your back pocket for a rainy day, or if 2 teenage boys don't want to walk around shopping...!!

Also try this site: www.gophia.org for more city happenings.

Good luck, and let us know how it worked out!
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 08:11 PM

There's a Nifty Fiftys at 4th & South or 5th & South that is made for kids-- old-style maltshop/burger joint atmosphere. Do NOT attempt Ralph's on a Friday night! It is a legendary restaurant and jammed during prime times.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:10 AM

It would be a shame not to at least try to get into Ralph's -- it's such a slice. There's also Dante & Luigi (10th and Catherine) -- the site of an actual mob hit in the bad old days -- which will take reservations. And, if you're driving, Mr. Martino's (Passyunk between Morris & Tasker ). If you end up at Mr. Martino's, you can cross the street to Roselena's for dessert.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 07:54 PM

Oops, I made a mistake. The place at 5th & South is not Nifty Fifty's, it's Johnny Rocket's. I think your teens will like it.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your responses. We're really looking forward to this trip-especially since we awoke to the weather report which actually mentioned s-n-o-w already!!!! I need to escape!!!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 03:28 PM

The closesst pub type places to South Street are Fox and Hound at 15th and Spruce and the Fado Irish Pub at 15th and Locust.

http://www.fadoirishpub.com/index1.html

Just a couple blocks up from the italian Market is Ralph's Italian Restaurant. Don't forget to go to either Geno's or Pat's for a cheesesteak. They are both right across from each other at 9th and Passyunk.

Saturday morning is a great time to go to the Italian Market. it's buzzing with activity. If you love cheese you won't want to miss DiBruno Brother's.

Have a great time in Philly

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:14 PM

On a Friday night, the pubs will be very crowded and rowdy, not the best place for minors. However, just off of South Street on Second Street is Pizzaria Uno's. It is a reasonably priced lounge with excellent food. It is a relaxed atmosphere, but fun. Good for families. They also have pool tables upstairs. Almost directly across the street from this place is Cosi's. Cosi's is a very nice cafe that serves alcohol, but is not a rowdy place. They have great food and wonderful desserts. Your boys will enjoy the smores. They come served on a grill and you roast your own marshmellows and build your own smores. I suggest, if you plan to eat on South Street, just go down second, there is plenty of parking and it is in a very trendy area that your boys will enjoy. I hope you have a great time. Don't forget, the Constitution center just opened also.