Search

philly itinerary -- need help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
philly itinerary -- need help

Hi All,

Two women celebrating 50th birthdays are spending weekend in Philly. Leaving hubby andkids at home. Have already seen the historic sites on previous visits. Used hotel points to get a "free" room at the Park Hyatt (walnut and Broad). We have tickets for the Wyeth exhibit for Sunday morning. We need help with the rest of the weekend itinerary...especially where to go, how to get around...we are on a budget, so we plan to eat inexpensive(BYOB), maybe sprlurge on a spa service somewhere (or not), window shop.

If we can get it all in, we plan to visit/walk around Rittenhouse Square, Manyunk, South Street, Reading Terminal Market, old City, the water front, and eat Italian in the South Side.

I don't know the proximity of these neighborhoods. How do you Get around...taxi's? public Transportaion? own car? how far are these areas from each other and what would be a logical itinerary?

Criteria for restaurant for dinner is under $50 for two, and not too crowded/noisy so friends can talk. Chinatown (Penang)? South Side (L'Angelo)? Other?

What about a spa, nice but not "break the bank"for one or two services? Suggestions?

How is the restaurant at the Phila. Museum of Art for Lunch? Any other suggestions in the area for after we see the exhibit that would be better?

Rough itinerary:

Friday: Arrive late afternoon, plan to have drinks,(where?) walk a bit,(where?) have dinner (BYOB)..where?

Saturdayreakfast or Lunch at Reading Terminal Market...aside from that, what would be a nice itinerary for the day hitting a few of the neighborhoods previously mentioned?

Sunday: Museum, Lunch, then home.

Appreciate any and all suggestions from you Philadelphians out there!

Thanks
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Although I can't answer all your questions, I'll answer what I can.

The best way around Philly between 10 am and 6 pm is the Philly Phlash. You can ride it all day around the best of Center City for $4.

If you plan to get around outside those hours or outside Center City, a day-pass on all Septa transit is $5.50

Do NOT use a car in Philly; it's not only unnecessary but inconvenient and expensive. All places on your agenda, except Manyunk, are easily accessible by walking or the Phlash; and you can go anywhere with a Septa DayPass.

Saturday could easily be filled with the Reading Terminal Market, the Italian Market area, South Street, and the Mummer Museum.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Drinks at the Four Seasons would be a special treat. You can also order a light dinner or dessert in the bar.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Penang is always a great choice for dinner. The Art Museum food is okay but overpriced. Try a BYOB called Figs just a couple blocks away across Pennsylvania Ave. In the summer they even have outdoor seating.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Another nice place to have drinks Friday night would be the lobby bar at the Ritz Carlton, which is just north of your hotel on Broad Street:
http://www.ritzcarlton.com/hotels/ph...lt/default.asp

As for dinner, I've heard nice things about Mercato, which is a few blocks south and east on Spruce Street:
http://www.mercatobyob.com/

And it's not a byob, but another good spot on Spruce is Ernesto's 1521:
http://travel2.nytimes.com/top/featu...=1086282845860

You should know that Pennsylvania has a state liquor store system and, unless you're bringing your own, be sure to ask your concierge for the closest place to buy wine.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Manayunk is a short train ride from any of the center city train stations. To be honest, it's nice to walk around there but nothing extraordinary in terms of shopping or dining. Given your short schedule, there is more than enough to do in town. If you can get into either Matyson or Melagrano, both are stellar BYOs, a short walk from your hotel. May be a tad more than $50 total--the problem with BYOs is that they all have higher priced entrees to offset their lack of a liquor license. To keep it under $50, try Shiao Lan Kung--best Chinese in Philly and BYO. Good South Philly BYOs include Mr. Martino's and Tre Scalini. Hotel bars are expensive and unimaginative. For fun drinks with local flavor, try the bar at El Vez (a short walk from your hotel), Alma De Cuba, or Brasserie Perier. If it's a nice day and you are in the historic area, Washington Square has a beautiful outdoor bar. Have fun!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Apologies for the unclear post. I meant to say that Figs was just a couple of blocks away FROM THE ART MUSEUM. It would make a nice place for your lunch.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:47 AM
TKT

I like Manayunk but there is enough to see in Center City, you don't need to add Manayunk.

I always enjoy comedy sportz, it is an improv comedy show in center city.

I love Loie for Sunday brunch, which is right next to La Colombe for coffee.

For most of your trip I would advise walking to where you are going and then jumping in a cab if you get tired of walking. Center City is small and cabs won't be too expensive.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the suggestions-- I am planning to use quite a few of them...and will leave Manyunk out this time around

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:58 PM

ronnie 56 -

Philly Phlash is a great idea. It takes you close to or right to all the major things to see and do. Invest in an inexpensive city map - it will be a godsend.

If you want lunch at the Art Museum, try its cafeteria. Food is prepared by the same chef who prepares for its restaurant - the cafeteria is truly gourmet, inexpensive, many choices including unusual salad bar, I find the food delicious, and you're right on the premises.

Here's two spas in Center City, not far from each other, and close to where you're staying. Not sure what you're interested in, but you can explore the sites:
http://toppersspa.site.dejazzd.com/
http://www.thebodyklinic.com/

Idea for your first evening: After you check in to your hotel, walk west on Walnut Street til you get to Rittenhouse Square (about 4-5 blocks of great shops along the way), where you will see the Rittenhouse Hotel. Inside is a really great place to have a drink - called the Mary Cassatt Tea Room and Garden - they serve English tea and cocktails in a plush living room setting that opens into a garden - you'll feel very pampered. Afterwards, spend a little time walking through/pulling up a bench in Rittenhouse Square - great for chilling out and people-watching. For dinner, I'd recommend Audrey Claire, at 20th & Spruce, it's just a couple blocks from the Square, a BYOB, with a delicious menu. One of my favorites. Don't miss their brussel sprouts. And split the dark chocolate cake for dessert (although you may want it all for yourself).

Have a great weekend, and happy birthday to you both. Feel free to ask for more advice. I think you'll have a great time here.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 01:01 PM

ttt
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

ttt-

Thank you for your helpful suggestions re spas, restaurants, itinarary for Fri. nite, etc.

Regarding spas, by any chance do you know of Terme de Aroma at 32 North 3rd St., and is that far from my hotel?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 04:05 AM

32 North 3rd would be in the first block north of Market, in Old City. Your hotel is one block south of Market and 11 blocks west of third (if Broad had a number, it would be 14th St.) So, left out of the hotel. Right onto Market. Left onto 3rd. It's absolutely walkable.