Need help with Philadelphia area accommodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Pennsylvania mid-May and want to explore Philadelphia a bit--never have been there. We like staying downtown but we travel in a pickup with pop-up camper on it and most hotel's parking garages/covered parking is not high enough for us. We will probably have to stay in a suburb. Which would you recommend for close-in convenience? Would need to take the Metro to downtown so we wouldn't have to find parking, which I hear is a bit difficult. Does the Metro extend far into the suburbs?

We also have the option to camp close by so if you have any ideas on that they would be appreciated as well.

Is the South Street Market fun to visit? I think that is one I heard about that is mainly Italian. Is it open on Sunday? Any idea of its hours on its open days/

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:44 PM
MIG

There are "open air" parking lots throughout the city. I'm sure you can find somewhere to park your truck. Just find one with an attendant on duty 24 hours for security purposes.

There is no camping really close to the city. The closest is probably 45 minutes outside.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:06 PM

For a very reasonable hotel in a good area, near shopping and rittenhouse squarle try the Radisson Warwick. The hotel has some rooms that are older and need an overhaul but if you are there to visit and sight see philly you cannot beat the price for centercity. Its usually like $109 on a fri or sat.
Call the hotel to see about their parking garage limitiations. there are a ton of lots around that area...they park the car for you though...I know of an open air parking lot near 16th and Arch. Camping can be cold and buggy. I live about 45 min. out of philly and in the evening it can get down to like 40.
Another thing about the Radisson Warwick is I had my wedding there about 2 years ago and there is a awesome small irish pub across the street called the black sheep. food is pub fare. try Devon Seafood Grille for breakfast....great breads...yum...I want to go there this weekend now that I am talking about it.
Good luck.
Oh and the market you are referring to is the Italian market not the south street market...south street is not a market it is a street in philly with alot of restaurants and bars shops etc but it can be a bit overwhelming. Its like Houston in Greenich Village. Not sure where the italian market is. Go to the Franklin Institute if you are traveling with children and the Phlly Zoo. heck philly zoo without kids is great. and dali is at the art musuem right now til i think late may.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:12 PM

We loved the Penns View Hotel on Front Street. They have an outdoor parking lot.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:47 PM

I have tried to post this multiple times and it doesn't seem to take, so pardon me if this message shows up more than once.

Don't stay in the 'burbs if you want to explore the city. Philly's a fun place to explore. Check out the region's tourism site, www.gptmc.com, for hotel deals and info on tours.

I know the Latham Hotel, near Rittenhouse Square, has decent rates. There's a colonial B&B two blocks south of South St., in the Queen Village neighborhood and walking distance to historic sites, called Shippen Way Inn. There are three paid open air lots within a block or two of there(be sure to lock that camper). The Thomas Bond House is another nice inn/B&B, right in the historic district, blocks from Independence Hall. There are also an Omni and a Sheraton in that area, known as Society Hill (one neighborhood from Queen Village).

The Italian Market is the place you're referring to, and it's definitely worth a visit. It's around 9th and Christian, also walking distance from that Shippen Way Inn. Check out Fante's if you like gourmet kitchen stuff, or just browse the food shops and stalls. There's a cafe where you can get espresso, pastries and spimone (sp?). It's most hopping on Saturday, less so on Sunday. Queen Village, Society Hill and Bella Vista (the Italian Market neighborhoods) also have lots of antique shops. Antique Row is on Pine Street, around 10th-11th streets. If you like sewing, Fabric Row, with old-time family-owned shops, is in Queen Village, on 4th St., from Bainbridge (the Shippen Way Inn street) and stretching several blocks to the south.

If you're into food markets, also check out the Reading Terminal Market, a fun, enclosed farmers market and multicultural eatery, from Amish to
Chinese, around 12th and Filbert, near a Marriott and the Convention Center. It's not far from these other places, but I don't recommend staying in that area. It's more of a business, City Hall district and not as interesting or appealing as Rittenhouse Square or historic-district areas.

If you like nightlife and/or you're with teenagers, visit Olde City, which has trendy restaurants. South Street, between Society Hill and Queen Village, is a favorite with younger people, although I find it a bit edgy and cruisy on weekend nights. There are cafes, restaurants and the all-important ice cream and water ice (wooter ice, as they say in Philly) shops there, too.

If you're a film buff, there are three Ritz arthouse theaters in Society Hill, and the Greater Philadelphia Tourism and Marketing Corp., I believe, has a tour and lists sites for films shot in Philadelphia (i.e. "Rocky," "Sixth Sense" and more.)

Of course, remember the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. The lovely Independence Hall exterior has been mucked up by a bunch of bicycle racks installed for security post-Sept. 11. What a system. It's still worth visiting that wonderful building, though, where Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson & Co. founded a great country.

Queen Village has a bunch of nice little neighborhood restaurants. I highly recommend Salt & Pepper. Rittenhouse Square has good, trendy restaurants, and some upscale shopping.

If you're into a real historic neighborhood, just walk around Sovciety Hill and Queen Village, where you learn that Colonial houses are quaint, saltbox affairs. Society Hill has some cobblestone streets. May should be a good time for a visit, with window boxes abloom.

Have a good visit!

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:56 PM

GJ-
To follow up with what the others said The latham is a good choice cute boutiquey type place, same with penns view. Dont stay outside the city you wont get the same feel.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm looking forward to exploring the area.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:17 PM

People in the Philly area have this fobia about public trains. Consider camping in Lancaster and taking Amtrak ($26RT) or try South NJ where the NJTransit would be even cheaper. Lancaster is a beautiful 1.3 hour trip with a reasonable selection of times.