Search

Travel to Victoria/Vancouver - via Seattle ferry

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel to Victoria/Vancouver - via Seattle ferry

Hi all

How difficult/time consuming is it to travel to Victoria via ferry from Seattle? I'm planning a trip this summer and am debating if I want to fly to Seattle, spend the next morning (at least) there, then hop a ferry on to Victoria or if it's just adding needless hassle.

My trip is only 10 days or so which may end up being the determining factor but if the ferry ride is quite pretty that is a consideration too.

thank you!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The "ferry" from Seattle to Victoria is actually a high-speed passenger-only boat; there hasn't been a car ferry for years. Look at www.victoriaclipper.com It's not difficult, and takes around 3+ hours each way. Not especially cheap, but not terrible.

IMO the better way to go if you can, and considerably faster and more scenic, is to fly on one the scheduled floatplane flights departing from Lake Union in downtown Seattle and arriving in the Victoria Inner Harbour not far from the Clipper's dock. 45 min, over some wonderfully scenic country, and, like the Clipper, they offer overnight packages at Victoria hotels that make the whole deal reasonably affordable. Or, you can fly one way and take the clipper back. Or, you can take the BC ferry from its dock on Vancouver Island (a bus ride from downtown Victoria) to the mainland, then the bus into Vancouver city, then the train back to Seattle. Or, floatplane from the Inner Harbour to Canada Place in downtown Vancouver, then train to Seattle or....

Look at www.kenmoreair.com for info on the Seattle-Victoria service, www.harbour-air.com for Vic-Van.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:25 AM

ditto on the floatplane- very fun experience
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

thank you! very good information. floatplanes are in the picture. how fun!

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned - my ultimate plan is to stay in Victoria, and Vancouver (maybe half and half although nothing is firm yet at all) and I wondered if the boat ride was worth it or if I should just get to Victoria or Vancouver as fast as I can, settle in, and boat (and fly of course!) around the islands there.

I also thought I had clicked on the Canada forum when I put this in, oops!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:05 PM

You can take a Washington State ferry from Anacortes, near Seattle, to Sidney which is about 30 minutes from Victoria. We did it (actually in the other direction) a few years ago and loved it. We saw a pod of orcas along the way - amazing!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Incidentally, that Washington State ferry is a car ferry.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:52 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Flygirl - I saw from your post on the Australia board that you're a 99er - shoulda guessed it from your email address - doh.

That being the case, you are hereby vectored to Boeing Field in Seattle to visit the Museum of Flight. This is not a suggestion or a NOTA(W)M - this is a plain English instruction. Over.

Seriously, for anyone involved in aviation, the MoF is now (IMO but I'm not alone) second only to the Smithsonian in quality of displays. See the "Personal Courage" wing (WW1 and WW2 fighters) with tremendous (multi-gender) stories; walk through Alpha Golf - the last Concorde to carry paying pax - so much to see. (The Concorde was allowed by the Canadians to use its "reheats" - aka afterburners - in transit to Seattle from JFK at Mach 2 through Canadian airspace, and as a consequence set a new record for transcon commercial traffic. On its last flight. Pretty cool.)

Good day.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Gardyloo! That may tip the balance.

After your post I checked into my network of pilots and a CFI /flight school owner out there has had some involvement with the museum, and he also offered to fly me from Seattle to Victoria afterwards so sounds like if I go this path I might get a lesson/ride out of this too - how fun!

thank you for the tip!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:33 PM

It sounds like you have it figured out, but I'll add that while the Victoria Clipper is efficient, it's not a good way to see the scenery. Even if you do get a window seat, the windows will be covered with grime and salt spray. The car ferry from Anacortes to Syndey, on the other hand, is a great way to enjoy the beautiful scenery.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

thank you Meesthare and Christy. still putting it all together...