Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

East Cost tribe going to Seattle & Vancouver- need TIPS!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tribe- family of 5 adults and 4 kids- are visiting Seattle and Vancouver starting on June 10th. However, i've been reading the forum and i can't seem to determine what is the best itinerary if i want to include Victoria. I have some questions:

Given:
i am flying into seattle june 10th. will have a car and rented a home.
my family will have one medium size luggage each, 1 medium for all the kids.
we are scared to fly in small planes.
we are on a moderate budget- not low, but not super high either
our kids are 8,6,4, and 18 months.
three adults are in good health, 2 seniors in good health but with some limitations.
we have not purchased our plane tickets yet, so we could fly into SEA then fly out of Vancouver- or go back to Seattle. Either is fine.
we have 2 weeks for all of this.

Questions:
1) I have to fly into Seattle. Then, is it better to go to Victoria first and then Vancouver? If so, how does one get to Victoria from Seattle? Car? Ferry?
2) or Should i fly into Seattle then Vancouver by train (or car) and then Victoria by XXX ? Go back East from Vancouver or Seattle?
3) Should i skip Victoria and just do Seattle and Vancouver?
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 10:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you all have passports? Decide if you want to take a vehicle on the Port Angeles ferry or just walk around the city of Victoria. http://www.cohoferry.com/main/?Fares
With 2 weeks I would go for Seattle and Vancouver possibly including a night at Whistler. IMHO the best transport between Seattle and Vancouver is the early Amtrak bus or the Amtrak Talgo train.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

We do all have passports!

To take or not take a car into Victoria is a very good question. It's expensive enough to travel by ferry with no car from seattle. I was just not sure if its better/cheaper/faster to travel to victoria from seattle or from vancouver. As for Whistler, i haven't even considered it. Will look into it.

much thanks tomfuller.

Old Mar 13th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Here are your other choices including from Seattle instead of Port Angeles to Victoria. http://www.victoriabcca.com/travel/page2.php
Check the Amtrak website for the train or bus options to Vancouver. I hope you are not paying a fortune for the rental house for the nights you will be away from it.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 01:38 PM

Hi Veronana,

You are going to study the options and do the math. It is not obvious what is less expensive with 9 people travelling.

I don't understand what you are planning on doing. Are you renting a house in Seattle for 2 wks and looking for day or short trips? Is the one car/van large enough for 9 people (plus luggage?)? If not, are you able to rent a second vehicle? Or are you planning to split into groups and do different things?

The only way to get directly to Victoria from Seattle is by a passenger-only ferry, the Victoria Clipper. For 9 people, it would be costly. The alternative is to drive and take a ferry from Port Angeles, Anacortes, or Tsawwassen, in Canada. These ferries all take cars and walk-ons. This might be less expensive than the Victoria Clipper, given the number of people, especially if you could leave your car parked and walk-on. I know you can leave a car overnight at Tsawwassen. Maybe you can at the other terminals.
http://www.bcferries.com/at_the_terminal/parking/

Tsawwassen is in the Vancouver area, so you could drive to Tsawwassen, walk on the ferry to Victoria, return to Tsawwassen, and drive to Vancouver. You could even stay parked in Tsawwassen and take the bus to Vancouver and return for your car(s), though, with the ages of your family, you might want a car in Vancouver. (Victoria is small and easy to do on foot and you can get a bus to Buchardt Gdns)

If you go to Victoria from Port Angeles, add in the cost of the ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island.

From Seattle you can go directly to Vancouver by bus, train or car. Again, cost for the number of people you have might make the decision for you. Vancouver is only about 140 miles from Seattle.

While in the Pacific NW for 2 wks, I agree you should see the mountains. I would recommend a day trip to Mt Rainier - You would need cars for this. The NW Cascades Nat Park is also spectacular. I think Whistler isn't as good a day trip and only worth it if you plan on staying there.