NYC - Theater District Restaurant

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC - Theater District Restaurant

We are going to New York for the first time October 16-19. We have reservations for dinner at Lupa Thursday and Blue Water Grill on Friday. We have tickets for the Producers on Saturday night. We are staying at the Westin Times Square and are looking for somewhere to go for dinner that is close to the hotel and theater. We don't want anything too heavy before the show. Considering Noche, Thalia, Orso, Lattanzi. The latter two not as sure about since we will already be eating at Lupa for Italian. Wondering what others think of these or if there are other suggestions that we might enjoy more. Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:26 AM

Of those four, I would choose Thalia before the show. Noche is fun, but extremely loud, with lots of activity. If you're looking for more low key, but with great food, Thalia is a good bet.

Another option would be to eat a late lunch and get dinner after the show. Pigalle on Eighth Ave and 48th (or 47th?) is a cute Brasserie that's open 24 hours. They have very good food and wine, as well as a full bar, which might make for a nice way to spend a late Saturday night in Manhattan.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. That might work for us. We haven't planned any lunches but would like to go to a NY deli one afternoon.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:34 AM

I'm also a big fan of eating after the show. Last night I had dinner right next to The Producers at Angus McIndoe, opened about a year ago by the maitre d' from Joe Allen's. Despite the name it is neither a pub, nor Scottish. It is a three level restaurant, nice decor and full meals or lighter fare with very friendly greetings and servers. I'd start for a drink at one of the two bars at Sardi's (just on the other side of The Producers) before the show and have a few of their super horseradish/cheese crackers to hold you over. Note, I'm not suggesting you eat at Sardi's, but it is a fun, Broadway legend and Joe at the upstairs bar is a legend himself.

I find trying to do pre-theatre in the area too rushed, too much food, or just plain too hectic.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:38 AM

There are two excellent French restaurants nearby--Chez Josephine on 42nd Street just west of 9th Avenue and Le Madeleine on 43rd Street just west of 9th Avenue.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 05:53 PM

Hey, Howard, or anyone else. Do you know anything about Marseille, at the corner of 44th and 9th? We passed there last night (Monday) when everything else seemed dead, but it was quite lively. Their posted menu looked excellent. Any word on this place?
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:03 PM

Sorry, Patrick, but I've never heard of it. I'm sure I've passed the place, but I can't even visualize it.
Have you ever tried Le Madeleine on West 43rd? If you go, ask for a table in the Garden Room.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 08:48 PM

If you don't want anything too heavy before the show, better bet is a late brunch/lunch, then dining after the show.

"Pre-theater" dining is more often rushed and not a pleasant experience.

Note that you'll want to be at the theater at least 1/2 hour ahead of showtime. The mob will have arrived to be seated, and you'll want to visit the restrooms, as during intermission is nearly impossible (for the ladies, anyway).
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Any other suggestions for where to go to eat or have a drink after the Producers? Also, does anyone know what time we would get out of The Producers on a Saturday? Are restaurants crowded at that time?
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 12:53 PM

You will get out of The Producers right around 11. And yes the entire area will be crowded!

More suggestions? Care to narrow the field down a bit? Price and type of food and atmosphere? Restaurant Row --46th between 8th and 9th has about two dozen places all open late. For dinner, Joe Allen's, B. Smith's, Orso, and Becco are just a few of them. Don't Tell Mama, is a fun cabaret and piano bar there. Sam's, on 45th is another lively casual spot with piano bar.

Howard, I'm sure this Marseille must be quite new, I had never seen it before either, but really looks nice. This morning we had coffee and beignets at Maison, that outdoor place on the corner of Broadway and 53rd, which I'm sure used to be called something else. They gave me a card which shows that this Marseille and also Pigalle, mentioned above, are also theirs. By the way, tonight is Chez Josephine night!
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 01:16 PM

Patrick, eager for your report on your "one last chance" visit to Chez Josephine!
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Since it will be late, I hate to eat anything too heavy so a place that has a fun atmosphere where we could get drinks and appetizers would be nice. I guess not too casual since we will be dressed. Orso was one of the places we were considering - maybe that would be good. However, Don't Tell Mama sounds like fun and I have seen alot of people mention Joe Allen's. I assume we would need a reservation at any of these? Sorry for being so vague.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 01:53 PM

Well then, I'd go back to suggesting revolving at the top of the Marriott Marquis. Reservations definitely required for Orso and for Joe Allen's even that late. Both are more restaurant than "bar and appetizer" places. When you get here, you'll have a couple of days to check out some of the places mentioned above, since you are close by at the Westin.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 02:23 PM

Actually, Marseilles is great and would be perfect for you, as the menu has several small mezze and other tapas-style dishes to choose from. We've eaten there twice and really enjoyed both meals; the chef used to be at Blue Hill which is one of our favorite restaurants anywhere. They have a lounge area downstairs (but it's relatively new and I haven't been there) so perhaps there's a more extensive appetizer menu in that part of the restaurant?
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 08:00 PM

Now, I'm confused. Does that mean there is an upstairs as well at Marseilles? It appears that bar and restaurant are all at the street level, very open to the sidewalk. No?
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:17 AM

Patrick: I too am waiting to hear about your visit to Chez Josephine last night...
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:52 AM

I'm pretty sure there's a lounge area downstairs at Marseille, as well as the bar and restaurant at sidewalk level. As I said, the lounge is new enough that I haven't seen it, as the last time we ate there was a year ago...
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:53 AM

Also, I wanted to add that www.menupages.com might help you narrow down the choices. An invaluable menu database for NYC! Menus for almost every restaurant I've wanted to eat at recently have been available--just plug the name into the search box.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:55 AM
jw

We ate at Angus Mcindoe's after The Producers several Saturdays ago. We enjoyed it. It was a little noisy in the 3rd floor bar area, but we had a window seat which looked out on 43rd St. It seemed to be mostly a "local" crowd upstairs, too, which made it interesting for us. The food was good - we only had appetizers and desserts - and the staff was very friendly. I would definitely recommend dinner after the show. We ate lunch midafternoon, the stopped by the hotel bar for a drink before the show. It really worked out well for us. BTW, you will get out of the show a little before 11:00, as Patrick has said. Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 07:43 AM
jw

Oops, the restaurant looks out onto 44th St., not 43rd. Sorry about that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -