Pelham trashed on TripAdvisor

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pelham trashed on TripAdvisor

Boy have I seen contradictory comments on the Pelham Hotel. Some comments on Trip Advisor say it is an unsafe neighborhood, with a homeless shelter across the street which makes it noisy at night. Lots of construction around, so even if you get an outside room with a window you have a dismal view. And it smells bad--musty. Some say it is clean and staff is fine. Others say it is dirty and staff is horrendous.
What do the N'awlins natives and frequent visitors have to say??

Vera
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

That's the New Orleans Pelham, of course. Really need some inside information.
Thanks,
Vera
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Dan

I tend to trust TripAdvisor's comments, unless you see one "outlier" bad post in a sea of good or vice versa.

Overall, my personal opinion as someone who worked in the NOLA hotel biz for several years is that the hotel is olay but always full due to cheap rates, which makes it ragged quickly. The company that owns this hotel can't keep up with the necessary renovations.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 10:02 AM

I was sent to this hotel (November, 2002) when the hotel I had reservations with was overbooked (the Chateau Dupre). I was there on business but had my husband with me. There was a lot of construction, there is a homeless shelter across the street, and I didn't think the room was great (lights out, small). We had the room directly behind the front desk, but surprisingly didn't find it noisy. It is a quick block or two to Canel, but if I were you, I'd look for something else. I generally stay at the Bourbon Orleans.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Dan

Why can't I learn to proofread!? The room is OKAY and not OLAY although that does sound pretty funny!

This hotel is owned by a group which is notorious for overbooking, by the way, so who knows where you'll actually end up staying!
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you.
Dan:
Olay--my favorite skin cream! On Trip Advisor there were three or four bad and two good reviews, that is what got me confused.
Could you tell me, please, what the other hotels are in that group? I saw a list posted by John but couldn't find it again.
Detroit: My husband will be playing in a bridge tournament at the Marriott and wonders if he'll feel safe walking back around midnight. And isn't the Bourbon Orleans pricey? We're trying to save money.

Vera

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 01:25 PM

Yeah, if you are trying to save the Bourbon Orleans might not be the best place. As for feeling safe on the walk back, I'm from Detroit so my level of what is safe may differ, but it is pretty close to Canal and midnight isn't late in NO. I only really saw the homeless in the mornings when I left for my meetings and there didn't seem to be many people hanging out in the street. But, everyone has their own comfort level.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Dan

Found the website online:
http://www.neworleansfinehotels.com/

They run the Historic French Market Inn (widely reviled locally) as well as some other office bldg-turned-hotels. Overall the value is probably pretty good for this company BUT, as I said before, they do overbook like crazy and move people around from place to place.

The Pelham is certainly close to the Marriott so the location is really good for you. Of course, if they bump you to the Lafayette then location isn't so good!
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 01:37 PM

The Pelham is in the Decatur Hotel group. Also included in that group is the Historic French Market Inn, which has one of the worst reputations in NO for overbooking and relocating unsuspecting guests to other less desirable locations. I would definitely NOT stay there if you have a choice.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 04:27 PM

Vera, if you don't want the main ACBL hotels, there is a woman named Judi Smith at Bridge Pro Travel who offers alternate accommodations for the big tournaments. Her number is 1-800-366-1689
I used her service more than ten years ago, but I know she is still in business and serving the same customers.