Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking ofr the final word on bagels, hot dogs in NYC

Old Oct 4th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I've done all the searching and researching and am now thoroughly confused!
WE'll only be in NYC for 4 days and so, don't have time to try every recommenced place. So which is it for hot dogs? Gray's Papaya? I've also been told to go to Nathan's? Is it worth it?
HOw about bagels? Ess-a-bagel? or H&H? or any others?
And a final question about black and white cookies. I'm afraid I didn't watch Seinfeld, so am in the dark. Can I buy them anywhere...and are they all the same? OR is it better to go to Zaba's? I'd like to bring some home for the gang at the office.
I realize these aren't earth shattering travel questions, but it will be fun to try these places.
Any comments? Thanks...
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 08:01 AM

Of course it all comes down to opinion.

My choice of bagel is H&H. They still boil theirs like a bagel is supposed to be done.

I think Nathan's has a better hot dog. Gray's Papaya is fine for a quick run through when you need a greasy food fix, but Nathan's has a better tasting dog.

Black & white cookies can be bought anywhere, but you do not want to buy them in regular stores/delis/bodegas because they will be as dry as the Sahara Desert. Find a bakery that makes them. If you are taking them back home, bring along an airtight container. They dry out very quickly.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 08:02 AM

Gray's Papaya has the best hot dogs in the city, surpassing (in my opinion)even Nathan's Coney Island dogs (don't even bother with the chain Nathan's elsewhere -- only the original in Coney works). Is it worth the trek to C.I. for Nathan's (outside of summer)? Probably not, unless you have ALOT of empty time on your hands.

Black & white cookies and great bagels are available all over the place in Manhattan. Everyone has an opinion, but in reality the bagels are fairly indistinguishable at the "known" bagel places (mentioned by you above, add Pick-a-Bagel). As a general rule, if a bagel place is crowded with New Yorkers in the morning, its bagels are excellent. Same with cookies.

No need to run around the city searching for a product that may or may not be incrementally better than right next door. Just about any popular place will be great.

Enjoy
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 08:03 AM

H n H Bagels are the BEST...

I love NATHAN's for Hot Dogs....

And Zabar's is a perennial heaven for a foodie...they don't have a restaurant tho- it is strictly take out...Make sure you try the Russian Coffee Cake...they cut off and sell hunks of it..Delish!
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 08:04 AM

>
>Best Bagels in NYC< - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...=1&tid=1289807
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 08:08 AM

Yep, it's all a matter of opinion. Gothampc & I responded at the same time with opposite hot dog opinions. Of course I'm right and he's wrong. Ha Ha! It probably depends on what you're used to -- I have a Gray's just around the corner (but I do think the "meat" is higher quality than Nathan's).

If I had to pick the best bagel, I'd go with the H&H on Second Avenue, just slightly better than the Upper West Side H&H. Then Pick-a-Bagel.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 08:14 AM
GoTravel

Bagels; Ess-a-bagel, H&H, Pick A Bagel

Black and Whites or any other baked goods; Moishe's

Nathan's used to be great until they were bought out by the Riese Bros. Anything the Riese Bros touch they turn to crap.

Old Oct 4th, 2003, 08:15 AM

I see only three Gray Papayas in Zagat --37 & 8th, Broadway & 72nd, and 6th Ave & 8th Street. Is that it? We had actually thought about heading out to CI for a Nathan's today, but not in the rain.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 08:15 AM

Haven't been to H&H, but Ess-a-bagel is pretty good.

Murray's Bagels on 6th Ave at 12/13th street is great too -- especially with their chicken salad. Yum!
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 08:19 AM

Ess A Bagel has the best bagels
For Hot Dogs I think any Kosher Deli
or style deli will have amazing Hotdogs
Nathans is still good but as you have
read they are now owned by a chain.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 08:28 AM
AC

Hi.
For Hot dogs....don't forget the famous "Umbrella Rooms"
Street Vendors!!! They are regulated so don't be afraid to try one! Mustard and Sauerkraut YUM!

A ride CI for a hot Dog....Not worth it in my opinion.

Toss up on Bagels....My favorite is any place that makes them on the premises and has a "HOT BAGELS" neon sign in the window.
Have a great time!
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 09:04 AM

Patrick -- There's a Gray's on the corner of Third Avenue & 86th Street, one block east of the 86th Street express stop (4,5,6). Often the line is out the door -- I walk by there all the time. Enjoy!
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 10:38 AM

So, wait a minute, you're telling me that the Nathan's hot dogs you can get in Manhattan aren't as good as the ones at Coney Island?
Oy.
I've been going on about Nathan's for weeks, as my sweetie and I prepare for our trip to NY. He's only been there once or twice - both times very briefly - and hasn't ever tried Nathan's. I've also been attempting to explain what a real bagel tastes like; the ones you get in food courts in Toronto are not exactly representative. Well, there's no way we're going all the way out to Coney Island; can anybody reassure me about the more readily available Nathan's?
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 01:24 PM

Best Black and Whites are definitely at Rocco's on Bleecker Street west of 6th avenue. They also have terrific cannolis, and it's a fun area to explore that a lot of out of towners don't see.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Ohhhh, now I'm getting really hungry!!
I'm really looking forward to the hot dogs and the bagels. Thanks so much everyone.
I didn't realize that Nathan's was now a chain. I was rather excited to find Manhattan locations for Nathan's, but sounds like it leaves something to be desired. ANd for sure we won't have time to go out to Coney Island.
We'll stick to Gray's.
Gothampc, Are black and white cookies soft? When you say I'll need a container, will a zip lock bag do, or will I need a tupperware type container?
Meesthare, I'm from Toronto area too, so am looking forward to the 'real deal'.

Old Oct 4th, 2003, 03:05 PM

Kodi, black & whites should be soft. A ziplock bag would be fine, just as long as you press all the air out of it before sealing it.

The problem with a lot of places is that they use too much flour and baking powder in order to preserve the freshness. When eating a black & white, you shouldn't be choking on the dryness.

PS: Gekko, we didn't post at the same time. I posted one full minute ahead of you. You snooze, you lose.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gothampc.
Since you won the draw for the fastest response, I'll just have to go to H&H for bagels!!And are you also saying that even the Manhattan Nathan's is better than Gray's for hot dogs even though it's now a chain? I'll be running around tasting hotdogs!!! I'll have my years supply of fat!!
I'll bring giant ziplock's for the cookies and we'll see if they make it back to Toronto without me eating them!
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 03:38 PM

I am not a true Bagel afficianado (hey~I grew up in the South, I was deprived) so others will most likely disagree, but if you want to get all of your cookies/bagels/NYfood fixes at once, I would say go to Zabars and do it all there.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 05:46 PM
jetset1

This is somewhat related.. how about a great brand of bagel chips? Any favorites?

Old Oct 4th, 2003, 07:16 PM

Just my humble opinion, but I still think Nathan's in Manhattan is better than Gray's Papaya or Papaya King.

Of course the best dogs I've had are in upstate New York (too far for you to travel). Kingston and Saugerties have "Dallas Hot Weiners". They have a sauce made with bits of hamburger, onion, and a few secret ingredients that will send you into hot dog heaven.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -