Pay what you wish Museums in NYC

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pay what you wish Museums in NYC

I was wondering what Museums in NYC have the pay what you wish days and when are they/how much. Is it worth it to go at these times? Thanks!
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Strike that...finally found a website. Although I'd still like to know, is it worth going at these times?
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

*sighs* I found a website but some were not on there. Any help on days/times would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the mix up
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 06:34 AM

I can tell you that admission is free at MOMA from 4-8 p.m. on Fridays. A musem employee told me that the line thins out after 6:30. Before that....long lines.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 06:50 AM

The admission the the MET is a suggested donation, I believe it is $12. You can pay less if it is outside of your budget, but if you are able to pay the suggested admission, I would do so. Supporting these institutions is so important IMO.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:06 AM

Many of the museums have suggested admissions. What that means is if you truly have special circumstances - a student working to supplement scholarship money - a mom struggling to support several kids by herself - etc you can in fact give what you are capable of. However, for regular people - and this includes anyone with regular employment or with enough money to be a tourist in NYC - you really should give the full suggested amount.

All of these museums are incredible bargains - costing no more than a movie admission - and we all know how ghastly/worthless most movies are - never mind the additional $10 for popcorn/snack. So, unless you are legitimatly poor - please do your fair share to support these world-class institutions.

(I really hate cheapskates!)
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:21 AM

nytraveler, you said what I wanted to say... thanks!

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:25 AM

http://www.nycvisit.com/_uploads/doc...chart_4_04.pdf

This chart from the NYC visitor's bureau
lists the major museums, (though I see some missing, like the Cooper Hewitt)prices(indicating if they are 'suggested' admiision or not) and lists the hours that are specially designated as pay as you wish at some museums.

Some museums are very crowded at these times, some are not. Often the reduced rate hours also coincide with extended evening hours that are not available on other days--for example, the Guggenheim is only open in the evening on Fridays, which is also their pay as you wish time
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:40 AM
GoTravel

Keep in mind these 'suggested' donations do not nearly cover the costs for the museums.

Unless you are truly needy, please give.

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Almost sorry on asking, I myself am I college student and have been several times to the different museums and paid in full. This trip around I'm a bit more broke and was hoping that I could save a couple bucks here and there while still showing some friends new to NY some of the amazing things the city has to offer. Didn't mean to create any sparks.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:41 AM

Oh goodness, don't be sorry, yours was a perfectly reasonable question. It's just that most (not all) but most people who travel to NY can very well afford the admission to these places and it is disgraceful when they "cheap out".

If your circumstances dictate that you cannot afford it, then that is OK too. Pay what you can.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:44 AM
GoTravel

Cinderella, I almost added that my post was not directed at you specifically but rereading it certainly looks as if.

The Suggested Admission is set up for people in your situation. Please go and enjoy.

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:46 AM

Thanks to such admission policies my daughter was able to regularly visit museums in NYC while she was attending school in the east. If she had to pay full admission prices on her very limited student budget she would propably would have opted to eat instead. It would have been a shame if she were to spend that time so close to the city and not visit the museums. After tuition, room and board, supplies, books and other costs, even with her scholarships, there was not much discretionary money left for either one of us.

Don't feel bad Cinderella. Thanks to suggested donation, reduced and free admission many people who would otherwise be excluded are able to enjoy the museums. When you have finished school and are making the big bucks you can give back so that other college students, famlies on tight budgets, schoolchildren, etc. can share on the experience.