Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Website Tax Recovery Charge added to total cost - what is this? (NYC).

Nov 16th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi - Coober again (using my springer spaniels name as my screen name!). I've been trying to book a hotel online in NYC and notice they add Tax Recovery Charge to the bill - it adds the equivalent of an extra nights stay to the total bill. Anyone know a general hotel booking site that doesn't add this tax recovery fee? Tks - so grateful for info.
Nov 16th, 2003, 02:12 PM

I never heard of this. The hotel tax in NYC is steep (I think 14% or so) but that shouldn't equal a night's stay! What website are you using? Many Fodorites like quikbbok.com
Nov 16th, 2003, 02:14 PM

duh-sorry for the typos I've never...
website is Quikbook.com
Nov 17th, 2003, 05:34 AM
GoTravel

Coober, where are you finding this extra tax? I've never even heard of it and I travel to Manhattan at least once a month?

Hotel taxes are steep enough and the city learned a very valuable lesson in the mid nineties with an almost 20% tax when meeting planners boycotted NYC. Needless to say the tax was repealed and even Bloomberg wouldn't be so stupid......

Nov 17th, 2003, 06:11 AM

I ran into this and did NOT book with this site...
http://www.newyorkhotelsagency.com/info/faq.htm
Bound to be a "fee" because they state clearly in another question that they do NOT charge a fee for their services.Hogwash.of course its a fee not a tax.
Nov 17th, 2003, 09:11 AM

Right you are, Beachboi.

http://www.newyorkhotelsagency.com/info/faq.htm#8 readsquot;There is NO CHARGE or service fee to use our hotel reservation service or search engine. However, some of our suppliers charge service fees."

But making a reservation (for the Milford on Nov 24) it read: "Our booking fee, taxes, and other surcharges imposed by the hotel are not included."

I guess we're to believe that a "booking fee" and a "service charge" are not the same thing?