Parking in NYC on New Years?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it be possible (or reasonable) to drive my car into NYC for New Years, park it somewhere, and then take a subway down to Central Park or Times Square (if I decide to brave that ordeal)? Where would be good general locations to park?

I live in northern New Jersey and the only overnight parking near public transportation I've found is the Metropark Station. I'd have to drive an hour there just to park my car and then take the train in. I will do it if I have to but driving straight into the city would save a lot of time.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 06:10 AM
GoTravel

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...t=parking+NYC+

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 06:21 AM

You might check to see what sort of schedule the ferry from Weehawken (Port Imperial) might have. They have a car park.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/mas.../imperial.html
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 09:00 AM

Are you comfortable taking the train late at night, if so I would suggest parking in somewhere over the GWB and taking the 1 or A train downtown. There is usually quite a bit of parking in our area, (145th St) and you can take the train down at B'way and 145th or a couple of blocks east at 145th and St. Nicholas.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 09:58 AM

This is easy....Check out my previous posts. I live in Warwick, NY and drive to NYC daily.

The main question is....What do you drive?

I would leave my car in the Bronx. Take I87 (Major Deegan Expressway) to Exit 11. This is Van Cortlandt Park South. Slightly West of there is the #1 train. There is plenty of alternate side parking aroung. On New Years Day alternate side parking is suspended.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 05:28 PM

Definitely check out the NY Waterways website, but verify the (free) shuttle/water taxi hours.

Also have a look at www.iconparking.com

You can reserve online which guarantees you a space and rate for the duration of your reserved times. Would recommend a garage convenient to your "escape" route, even if it means walking a few blocks extra.

If you decide to drive in, be sure to check the website for the schedule of street closings, so that you can plan to arrive before the streets (if applicable) near your selected garage will be closed.