aston islander on the beach--kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at the Aston Islander On the Beach in Kauai? Feedback, please.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:29 AM

Didn't Kal just get back from his annual trip to Kauai? He stays there. This posting will bring the thread back to the top. Maybe he'll see it and reply.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:10 PM

Hi again, Anne. we stayed at the Islander in May 03, so this is a little dated. We thought it was fine. the room was clean and well-kept. The grounds are not lush but were well-landscaped, and it is beachfront. Again this is not a swimming beach but a pretty one to walk on. there are lounge chairs for use on the beach. Very good view of sunrise from here. There is a paved walking path next to the beach that runs along several hotels. I understand the hotel rooms are now being sold as mini-condos, so don't know how that may have affected it. It is adjacent to Coconut Marketplace, very convenient for shopping and meals. We didn't use the pool, but as I recall it was not extremely large; did not have any slides etc. There is a hot tub which was usually full of people. there is a small bar next to the pool and that seemed to be very popular too. Overall, I would recommend it, but again I don't know about changes related to the sale of the units.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, aloha. So you would recommend it. Perhaps it'll be even nicer than when you went in 2003, because I understand it is undergoing renovation right now, which is slated for completion in April. We are going end of July, so hopefully by then construction dust has settled and the rooms are bright, spanking new. They're supposed to repaint walls, provide new furniture and work on pool. I didn't know about the condo sales.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Kal?
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Me again. I was concerned about this property because on tripadvisor.com, some people complained about the construction and the moldy smelly rooms. I imagine the renovation would get rid of the mold and smell by the time we go in July, and the construction would be finished.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 05:06 AM

up
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:47 AM

We've booked 4 nights there in late May. I understand that the rooms are all being renovated and should be completed by that time.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Units at Islander on the Beach are being sold now as individually-owned condos -- eventually to be completely refurbished:
http://www.islanderonthebeach.com/

Reportedly, all oceanfront units are sold, as are most of the remaining ones -- but their "for sale" ad is still running in our local Garden Island newspaper.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Kal

Aloohaaa!

Just stayed there this past Dec/Jan for I think the 14th time in the old, usual room.
No probs but we keep the slider open most of the time to hear and smell the ocean.

Never used the a/c in all the years we've been going over.

The Islander isn't for everyone.
If you want a 4 hotel, by all means, go stay at the Marriott, Hyatt, PVille etc.

I saw in one website that someone said "it wasn't like the 4 Seasons on Maui". From the "Book of Duhhh"?

They were working on the wing right out side our lanai and we didn't have any probs as they usually started after
8-8:30ish and we were sobered up by then. I did ask once if they could lower the radio...no prob...

We also checked out the newly remodeled rooms and we will def be back again in about 303 mo' days. Tommy Bahama furnishings, I believe, new beds, fridges, tile floors, 27" TV, am/fm/CD player like you see in Sharper Image, new a/c units w/ remote control controls.

Mrs Kal wants to re-do our master playroom in that motiff. $)$)$)

Got the in-laws an upgrade to a new room this past Jan/Feb (missed us by 4 days-PHEW!!!) and they loved it. They've stayed there before and have a comparison point.

As AuntieM says, they are being remodeled and turned into "cond-tels"...condo hotels, that re being sold separately, not time shares either.
So, I would think they would keep up the property and the units "mo bettah" now.

I heard the Sand Bar is currently closed for remodeling.#39;(

As for the sunrises aloha mentions...Ohhhhhhhh yeahhhhhh!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kal--I'm encouraged! Wheww! I guess one thing to keep in mind is that some of the complaints may be due to unrealistic expectations--not checking out the number of stars ahead of time.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:21 PM
Kal

annie-
Have you checked out the pic of the room on the site Auntie M gave you?

ahhhhh...a nice long walk up to Coconuts for lobster Ravs....

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

I just checked out the link auntiemaria sent. Didn't do it before because I thought it was the website I already saw--oops! Thanks, auntiemaria. The new rooms look nice! So does the lobby. I feel tons better about my reservations now. Especially with the Entertainment rate I got them for. I hear the rooms are small, though. Kal, you say you've never used a/c when you go, but I'm going in August, which I'm told is the hottest month of the year there.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Hi Budman, I noticed that renovation will complete by the end of April and we booked 5 nights at islander at the end of May also. It is glad to know some one is heading to the same place at same time.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 03:04 PM

blue_kite, we're spending 3 nights on the West Coast, 26-28 May, and 29 May-1 June at the Islander.

We're going to have a GTG for drinks on the 27th of May, if you're going to be there and interested. So far it's me, iceeu2, and auntiemaria, along with significant others. Details to follow.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Bug_man, We reserved islander 24-29 May. I was thinking maybe it is a better ideal to stay at west coast for few nights. Any hotel you recommend there? I can barely drink but we may join you guys on 27th.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 09:31 AM

Hubby & I stayed there in January 04 for one night. Based on my experience, I wouldn't return, but that's just me. The location is good, but even though we had requested a room that was already renovated, we were still put in the older section. The hallways were dark and dirty-feeling and I just never felt comfortable.

The room was very small and upon arrival (8pm or so), we found that there were no sheets, comforters or pillows on the bed or towels in the bathroom. After spending the day hiking the North Shore, all we wanted as a place to relax. Eventually someone came up, but it took a while.

There was a terrible rainstorm overnight and it was impossible to sleep due to something rolling around on the rooftop and the sound of water leaking in thru the sliding door. By morning, the carpet was completely soaking wet about 2 feet into the room.

Breakfast buffet was included in the cost of the room, which was good because I would have been highly disappointed if I had paid for it. The selection was minimal and I think we would have been happier finding a cafe somewhere off-premises.

We weren't expecting a high-end hotel, just somewhere to stop for the night before heading over to the Big Island the next morning. It served its purpose, but I wouldn't return.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 09:32 AM
iceeu2

blue kite...you don't have to drink....just be there and be able to console the real icee and myself...the 27th is going to be our last night there...so, just look for Budman (you won't be able to miss him...he will be the only one there wearing an aloha shirt)...and look for me...the short plump southern girl crying in her beer..and auntiem...well, maybe I shouldn't describe her since I don't have a clue!!

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 10:02 AM

sherhatfield, sorry to hear about your experience. I believe the place should be totally renovated by the end of May. My confirmation shows an ocean front, and I know they have been renovated.

Iceeu2 - no tears in my beers. I'll bring some wine. Maybe we can fine a secluded place on some patio and pop a few corks.

Auntie -- do they do corkage in Hawaii??

Yup, that'll be me -- in the bright red flowered shirt!!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 10:36 AM

Iceeu2 and bud_man, May 29th will be our last day there. Look forward to see you on 27th at islander. You can find us easily, an east asian couple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -